News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for CJWesselman

CJWesselman Profile Photo
Member Name: CJWesselman
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I'm a 22yo Musical Theatre fanatic currently on financial leave from Northern Kentucky University where I am persuing a BFA in Musical Theatre.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

The History Boys - Dramaturg
 Sep 8 2008, 02:18:57 PM
Hello BroadwayWorld.com universe!

I'm currently getting ready to start work on a production of The History Boys and unfortunately we don't currently have an official dramaturg. I was wondering if there might not be some folks out there who can point me towards some online references or who might have done this exact thing for another production elsewhere. Any little bit can help. Either reply to this thread or simply email me at cjwesselman@fuse.net. Thank you very much!

Jerry Springer: The Opera - Musical Origins?
 Mar 4 2008, 09:45:37 PM
I'm not a huge opera person...I enjoy it but don't know a lot. Does the show draw a lot from traditional operatic pieces? Are there songs that make a die-hard opera enthusiast go, "Hey, that sounds a lot like..." or "This song must have been inspired by..."?
re: Deep into the Psyche of a Serial Killer....through song!
 Jan 28 2008, 10:47:31 PM
Touche...I don't understand why I didn't think of that one to include.

Any hardcore musical theatre fans or serial killers out there have any other suggestions?

Deep into the Psyche of a Serial Killer....through song!
 Jan 28 2008, 10:34:12 PM
What are some musical theatre songs (the obscure-er, the better) anyone can think of which deal with, or out of context could deal with, the mind, feelings, or psychological workings of a killer?

Any suggestions, thoughts, or feelings?

*EDIT* Obviously, Sweeney Todd. Excluded.

re: A BUNCH of SWEENEY Film Clips..(Priest, Toby, etc.)
 Nov 27 2007, 10:21:51 PM
I love the look. I love what I've heard of the additional (and now nessecary) dialogue and scenes. I love the orchestrations. I love everyone's acting.

It's just...damnit.

I'm still not a fan of Depp's vocals and, geez, Carter? Anyone who's watched the Behind the Scenes footage might take care to notice that the odd editing and repetition of certain sections focuses around a lot of Mrs. Lovett's lines/lyrics and often stops right before a (traditionally) belted note. (T

Cincinnati Costume Company Burns to Ground
 Jul 11 2007, 01:14:31 PM
Very unfortunate situation here in Cincinnati as one of the biggest and most prominent costume companies in the area caught fire last night and was totally destroyed.

Link goes to the Enquirer's website and has full info, pictures, and videos about the 5-alarm fire and what you can do if you wish to help.

Thoughts and prayers.

re: HAIRSPRAY WELCOME TO THE 60S ENTIRE SCENE
 May 26 2007, 06:34:38 AM
I second, Interest. Travolta looks and sounds horrible. The great thing about the original movie and the stage show is that you don't have to use a fat suit or special makeup. Doing that (and, by the looks of it, doing it poorly) takes away so much facial expression and thereby so much spirit of the performance. Especially on camera, it can be so irritating! I just don't see the same gusto in him that he had in Grease, i guess.
re: 2007 Tony Awards Host
 May 21 2007, 04:13:15 PM
This is an easy one. Jake Gyllenhaal. He's a self-confessed theatre buff. He's not the world's best singer but he's fearless (see: Saturday Night Live) so he could clown about when needed or even perhaps give us a solid performance. And, of course, he's an attractive young male movie star who has plenty of fans to bring in and perhaps enough celebrity to increase coverage of and reporting on the event.

Any takers?

re: New Janet in Drowsy Chaperone!
 Jan 23 2007, 01:18:44 AM
Patti LuPone!

re: Urinetown Casting (and then a rant, lol)
 Jan 13 2007, 02:02:01 AM
eb412, thanks for putting it pretty much like I wanted. lol. it's very much an idea of holding the choreo/costumes/etc in just as high regard as the book and music, which with a show like Urinetown I do.

Thanks also to everyone else who's posted too....I realize how, well, not foolish, but how I didn't think a few of those things through. obviously, sorry, another reason for the expansion in casting is to give more people a chance to be in a show. i should have mentioned that point

Urinetown Casting (and then a rant, lol)
 Jan 12 2007, 04:49:53 PM
I have a friend who was recently cast in a production of Urinetown and when he told me who he was (Old Man Strong) I congratulated him and started talking to him about what he'll be doing in the show and so forth. I brought up 'Snuff That Girl' and the role of Hot Blades Harry (traditionally played by the same actor,) but then he stopped me and informed me he wouldn't be playing that role in this production. Apparently, somewhat due to all the recent legal actions involving productions of
re: A barber killing his clients in violent and disgusting ways. And it's a
 Dec 29 2006, 06:33:28 PM
I know it's an asinine point to argue, but his name is Sacha Baron Cohen, not Borat. Despite what his wildly insane and immature acting characters may lead you to believe, he's a smart, funny, talented individual. If you've ever seen him give an interview as himself you'd see what I mean. I can guarantee you that if involved with the project he'll approach it with the respect and dignity it deserves.
Final Thoughts
 Dec 19 2006, 09:45:51 PM
I still don't understand why everyone seems to be saying/thinking that all the understudies were falling apart on stage? Aside from the one time Harley was out and his US went on (Sat Night,) where are there any complaints about US flubbing lines or songs? Quality of performance is different from an actor not being prepared. I didn't see the sat night show with the Mark US, but I did see three others and never saw anyone self-destruct on stage.
Final Thoughts
 Dec 19 2006, 04:18:29 PM
"And there weren't "vocal issues" there were ... "he doesn't know his lines" issues."

Benjamin, if you're referring to Harley (Mark) here, you couldn't be more wrong. I saw him three times over the weekend and thought he was one of the stronger and more solid performers. Even for the Sunday Matinee when his voice was going out (and, it was clearly going out) he pushed through and still put on a good performance. He only missed the Sat Night show. If you aren't, well...I have no clue

re: How about a TOURING area here?
 Dec 19 2006, 04:45:50 AM
Only advantge I can see is clearing out clutter on the Main board. Of course, if you went down that road you could very well give each show it's own board, etc. It'd be nice, but I dunno if it's worth it. Isn't the search function helpful enough? lol

p.s. it is and not nearly enough people use it.

Final Thoughts
 Dec 19 2006, 04:38:47 AM
Dunno if anyone's still even reading this post, lol, but I'll try and help clear some confusion if there still is any:

Aaron LaVigne (Swing, Roger/Mark US) went on as Roger for the first threee shows of the weekend, Dustin (Gordon, Roger US) went on as Roger for the last two on Sunday. Declan was indeed out the entire weekend. Harley Jay made all his performances as Mark except for Saturday night when there was apparent vocal issues.

Despite being biased, I feel as though it'

re: RENT in Cincinnati
 Dec 17 2006, 06:00:08 AM
Harley's voice started going out in the matinee today (god bless him he pulled through the whole show) and word was Joe might actually get to go on as mark for the evening show. no idea if he did or not, just thought I'd throw that out there. lol
re: RENT in Cincinnati
 Dec 15 2006, 01:29:27 AM
bumpy-idy bump bump bump!
RENT in Cincinnati
 Dec 14 2006, 07:04:49 PM
Tour comes through this weekend....anyone from the Cincy area planning on seeing it? I'll be rushing for the Friday night and Saturday matinee shows...should I be on the lookout for any board members? lol
re: RENT Tour in Buffalo.
 Dec 11 2006, 12:59:38 PM
What a small, small world these boards make it...lol. Aaron's a buddy of mine and we just had a conversation where he mentioned going to help out at the souvenir stand. Just lending a hand. Not a requirement of the job. lol. He'll be going on as Roger the first three shows in Cincy (his and my hometown) this weekend, so if you're in the area come check him out!
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You