pixeltracker

Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?- Page 3

Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#50re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 8:27pm

I, frankly, think they missed a golden opportunity in not casting some kind of name as Joanne.

I concur. While I really admire Doyle's loyalty to his actors, Walsh wasn't quite impressive enough to make it a good decision to keep her in the one role that's really prime for bringing in someone more recognizable. Raul's not known outside of Broadway circles, but I really think that his performance is indispensable in this production. Still, as others have pointed out, Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris aren't "names," either. This show will sell the best to New Yorkers, but given its more accessible subject, it also has the potential to bring in tourists. The one thing that has the potential to really hurt it is that with the larger cast, the running costs will probably be significantly higher than Sweeney's are.

Either way, it's a truly gorgeous production of this show, and I'm really glad that Broadway will get to see it. I hope that it's successful.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#51re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 8:29pm

Well depending on how big of a tourist group the Cincinnatians make, there may be a lot of them coming to witness the show again.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#52re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:40pm

Maybe because those people you've met are your age.

Don't make assumptions when you're trying to defend yourself. I said nothing about them being my age, because that's rarely the case. My father saw many Broadway shows throughout the 60s and 70s, but hated Andrew Lloyd Webber from the beginning; I had to explain to him who Patti LuPone was when I was telling him about seeing Sweeney. He's just an example, but I've had many other experiences like that- many of them also intelligent, cultured individuals that just don't pay attention to Broadway. 97% of America doesn't even know who she is, and another 2% only know of her from Evita.

Using Life Goes On as an example of her "fame" is even weaker; the show has been off the air for 13 years and even pop culture enthusiasts only remember because of the mentally retarded kid. Is Bill Smitrovich a big enough star to draw in the tourists? If someone wasn't already following Patti's career, most people wouldn't even recognize her from bit part to bit part in the TV and film world.

I'm all for the Raul love, but he does not strike me as the type who would willingly mediawhore himself in order to promote the show. It doesn't seem like his way.

I'd have to agree. I don't want to claim to know enough to psychoanalyze him, but I can't imagine him being thrilled with 30-something women waving copies of Cosmo for him to sign at the stagedoor.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

MOXIEINTHECITY
#53re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 9:59pm

"I'm all for the Raul love, but he does not strike me as the type who would willingly mediawhore himself in order to promote the show. It doesn't seem like his way. "

I don't think promoting a show that he's passionate about is "mediahworing." Nobody suggested he do a stint on Cribs or Celebrity Deal or No Deal. Making media appearances on some of the morning shows, Letterman and in magazines other than New York Magazine, Time Out New York and The New Yorker wouldn't hurt the show or his career. Not to mention, I think a lot of Broadway actors would kill to go on to film. Unless they build a name for themselves outside of Theatre Row, they're not getting cast in films. Cerveris has totally pigeonholed himself and his career because he's kept himself insulated in the theatre/indie rock scene for 10 years.

Raul has all the makings of a bona fide "star" if he gets more exposure.

Maybe Margo Channing knows the answer to this:

Do Broadway shows employ a publicist that gets media appearances for the cast?

I remember during the Tony's that Wedding Singer was freakin' everywhere all week, yet all Sweeney got was an appearance on Regis & Kelly and an early morning appearance by Mano on the CBS Saturday Early Show.

#54re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:13pm

Right, but I would imagine "charming the pants/panties off people" generally falls into that category. I'm not saying that that's an inherently wrong or bad thing to do in order to sell a show, just that I don't see someone with Raul's personality undertaking that task. Granted, he'll do what he needs to do to sell tickets, but I can't see him selling his own sex appeal in hopes of boosting ticket sales. I'm not even sure that I get the natural charisma vibe off him -- not that he can't be charismatic, but as my friend put it once, he seems very unassuming.

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#55re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:19pm

Friends who saw the show at Playhouse in the Park thought it was promising, but as a clone of Sweeney Todd may have difficulty.

I am hoping for the best, and would love to see it.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#56re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 10:24pm

Not to mention, I think a lot of Broadway actors would kill to go on to film.

I think that's often true, and though minds can always change, Raul seems from interviews to be interested in challenging acting projects, period. He's said he'd like to try film (and has), but he seems happy with the stage as long as it provides interesting parts and the means to make a living. I remember an interview where he expressed feeling that there's enormous pressure to do film and tv to increase one's visibility, since the stage doesn't make stars these days and it helps to sell whatever he's in if he has appeal to a wider audience. I don't really think that he's out to move on to a film career, though.

Videos