pixeltracker

Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?

Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#0Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:36am

Yes, Raul is a Broadway favorite, and we all know him. BUT he doesn't sell tickets.

Sweeney atleast had Patti LuPone, in which a lot of other people other than Broadway fanatics knew her. A lot of people know her from Evita (it was huge in 79/80, practically everyone heard of Patti and Evita), she did movies, she had a hit TV show. So some of the tourists atleast have have heard of her.

But COMPANY will have no name like that. So do you think COMPANY can defy the odds? Will it be a hit with no name selling actor in it? Sweeney didn't even do that great with a name like Patti. So could COMPANY make it with no name? Discuss.

Updated On: 8/7/06 at 11:36 AM

Jazzysuite82
#1re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:40am

People will go because it's Company and John Doyle. It's rare that a production of Company goes up. Judging from the success of Sweeney most people will be curious to see how and if it works. Others will go to judge every nuance of the production to say that John is a one trick pony.

TheaterDude15 Profile Photo
TheaterDude15
#2re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:40am

I think it's great no matter what. This is what Broadway needs. This fantastic director is giving actors a chance. He's trying to fix this town up. He's on our side. He's one of the few that would consider someone who's not a STAR to actually star in one of his shows. Look at Manoel F.

"Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see" -Sunday in the Park with George

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:41am

I thought the same thing, and while I'm hopeful, I don't know. They can bill it that Doyle is a Tony winning director, at the very least, and the show was certainly highly critically acclaimed out in Cincinnati, as I suspect it will be here.

If you mean "hit" in terms of gaining back its investment, I think it probably could because it's another minimalist production, so it won't cost that much, in the grand scheme. And as long as it stays fairly intact, it'll be a critical hit, I think. So what's left is up to the audiences, and that's a crapshoot, I think, at this point.

I hope people love it, because it's incredibly beautiful.

ETA -- I think that some of the nay-sayers might change their minds when they see this production, with regards to calling Doyle a one-trick pony. Yes, it's the same concept, but it works in very different ways.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 11:41 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:43am

I honestly can't wait for it.

I think what I'm asking is. Will it actually gross over 50/60 % each week? Which I hope it would. Could its grosses get up to the 80/90% with no major star?

I really don't think Doyle's name is going to sell to tourists.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#5re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:43am

I hope so!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

TheaterDude15
#6re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:44am

ummm...well I saw Sweeney in February and they were moving us down closer to the edge of the balcony. I mean the theater was maybe 70% to 80% full. BEFORE the Tony's I dunno how it was after.

"Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see" -Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 11:44 AM

luvtheEmcee
#7re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:46am

Wheeee, I can't wait.

I want this to be a success so, so badly. Raul needs it!

Updated On: 8/7/06 at 11:46 AM

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#8re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:46am

It'd better be a hit and not end up like Mack & Mabel in Ldn!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 11:57am

I think it will be a tough sell; COMPANY is potentially more audience friendly than SWEENEY, but it is also a bigger cast.

I, frankly, think they missed a golden opportunity in not casting some kind of name as Joanne. Barbara Walsh's reviews weren't extraordinary, and there are any number of people - even Broadway stars - like Donna Murphy or Kathleen Turner - who could easily have done it and would have least added some Marquis value to the show.

I think reviews will be solid, but I don't expect to have as long a run as SWEENEY.

MargoChanning
#10re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:03pm

Oh please. John Doyle is unknown to 99.9% of the public and he will have negligible impact at the box office.

The last revival of COMPANY at Roundabout just a decade ago only ran 60 performances and that production at least had a few names well known in the Broadway community (Boyd Gaines, who had already won two of his three Tonys at that time, and Debra Monk, to name two). The show itself doesn't have much of a following outside of theatre fanatics -- it ain't West Side Story -- so with no stars I predict the show will struggle at the box office. The low running cost will help, but even if it gets rave reviews it won't be an easy sell to tourists.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

TheaterDude15
#11re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:07pm

but do we really need big names in everything? It makes it so hard to be an actor or actress and rise to the top that way. Sure that's part of what the buisness is about, but some of our "stars" came in when it was a less popular to cast them in EVERYTHING. There aren't that many names out there that would sell a show. There are cliche's like Idina, Sutton, Patti etc. (broadway veterens) Then there are the obvious money makers that the producers love. Mainly film stars and pop music icons. Best example right now: Usher in Chicago. However these stars may be good, it's a shame for the talent out there that is not being recognized and are stuck in the ensemble.

Chrysanthemum62001
#12re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:10pm

I'm of course hoping this does great. But lets look at it this way:
Theatre people will see this show once.
People who like it may come back and bring a family member/friend/date/etc.
Fans of Sondheim might see it a couple of times if they like the production.
A handful of people will come to New York specifically to se the show.
And then you've got the Raul Esparza/Company fans. We will see the show numerous times.
But tourists...well, I just don't think they will flock to this show. Most of the people seeing Sweeney werent even tourists. It was on a whole, a much more theatre educated crowd. I just don't think people are gonna come out of the woodwork to see Company. It's very unique, but I don't think it's gonna be a must see for people who don't see much theatre. And in the end, isn't that what makes a show ultimately successful.

I do of course think the show will get good reviews, all though perhaps not as great as the Sweeney Todd reviews.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#13re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:18pm

I think word of mouth will only help so much, even if it's overwhelmingly positive.

To the poster who asked if we NEED names; as far as many tourists are concerned, probably.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#14re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:23pm

I agree with the overall consensus. While it may not flop, I can't see it running for more than a few months. Plus, following Sweeney, it doesn't have the sheer originality going for it, which is a reason though I think it will get good reviews, they won't be as good as Sweeney's.

"but do we really need big names in everything?"

Not at all. Not in Wicked, Mamma Mia, the Lion King, or Phantom of the Opera.

It sucks that it has to be this way, but hardly any shows can have a successful run without appealing to tourists. The above shows appeal on their own, so no names are needed. A smaller, more "artsy" show like Company which isn't going to really appeal to tourists may want to rely on a name to try to get tourists that way. It's unfortunate, but at least we're getting the oppertunity to see these wonderful productions.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

professor Profile Photo
professor
#15re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:33pm

Here is a list of the recent Sondheim revivals with # of performances (source:IBDB)

2005 Sweeney (roughly 350 by the time it closes)
2004 Pacific Overtures (69)
2004 Assassins (101)
2002 Into the Woods (279)
2001 Follies (117)
1996 Forum (715)
1995 Company (60)

Taking these numbers into account, I think the new Company production will be lucky to run 100 performances.

"Inside every actor there is a Tiger, a Pig, an Ass, and a Nightingale. You never know which one is going to show up." -John Michael Higgins in FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#16re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:36pm

"Not at all. Not in Wicked, Mamma Mia, the Lion King, or Phantom of the Opera."

Well- those shows sort of do have big names. Lion King has Disney. Mamma Mia has ABBA. Phantom has ALW. Names don't always have to come in the form of an actor. I also can't see Company running for more than 4 or 5 months at the most- but that's not to say I don't want it to do well.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck
Updated On: 8/7/06 at 12:36 PM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#17re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:38pm

Fair enough Katurian. My point is anyway that they have alternate names, I suppose, so they don't need for the actors to be names.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#18re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:38pm

Well to be fair professor, ASASSINS, PACIFIC OVERTURES, COMPANY, and FOLLIES were all produced by the Roundabout and were announced as limited runs.

Chrysanthemum62001
#19re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:42pm

Just looking at those numbers makes me so incredible proud of Sweeney.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

maybethistime
#20re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 12:45pm

Totally agree with Margo. Let's face it, tourists keep shows alive, and frankly, there's little to nothing in this show that tourists would want to see. Having no "names" doesn't help, but even so, "Company" is a very inaccessible--especially to tourists looking for a big, splashy Broadway show--show that has proven over it's lifetime to not appeal to A LOT of people. By today's standards, I think it's rare that Sondheim's revivals are ever hits (even some originals flopped), and John Doyle's direction, will, in my opioninal, if anything, cause this show to fold faster than if it was a traditionally directed production. Perhaps with stellar reviews, very low running costs and a run comparable to "Sweeney"'s, it could break even, but I'm doubtful. I wish it well, though, and we'll see...

bwaylvsong
#21re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:01pm

We might be pleasantly surprised. Look how successful Piazza was.

Bohoboy
#22re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:06pm

Maybethistime - This revival of Sweeney Todd marks only the second time in history that a commercial Broadway production of a Sondheim musical has made back it's investment. The first being A Little Night Music.

Keep in mind that this show received rave reviews when it played Cincinatti. I think it's best to wait and see what the New York audience and critical response will be before predicting how long the show will be open... and also, I'm going to see the show before I comment on Doyle's direction. Just saying...

I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it. -Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

MargoChanning
#23re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:08pm

But Piazza was produced by a not-for-profit theatre, Lincoln Center which had the freedom to run the show as long as it wanted (and had the advantage of not having to pay rent to itself since it owns the Beaumont). In a commercial setting, Piazza wouldn't have had nearly as long of a run.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#24re: Will the Company Revival be a HIT with NO Star Actor?
Posted: 8/7/06 at 1:08pm

Difficult to see this as a hit. If you were a tourist heading to NY, and your choices included the current shows plus Poppins and the revivals of Les Miz & ACL, how likely would you be to see a revival of Company? It would be a surprise if it ran anywhere near as long as Sweeney.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Videos