pixeltracker

My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)- Page 3

My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

Yankeefan007
#50re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 7:47am

BrianS - addressing ALL your questions:

Final scene in Act II - a suitable, energetic end to the show, despite it focusing around the idea "let's wrap it up ASAP." Song wasn't terrible and Ashford's choreography was fun to watch. It's no "You Can't Stop the Beat," however.

Mauzey's role - she's fun to watch AND it's one of the few points O'Donnell/Meehan don't have to work on. I can just imagine the line in the scipt: "Lenora looks over her shoulder and screams at the air. Everyone else tries to figure out who she's talking to." It's a great moment - well directed, written, and acted. One of the few.

Chester Gregory is a great singer. Unfortunately he doesn't have enough to do, and he looked mighty confused and bored during the last 15 minutes.

Worst Musical Ever - I understand that you disagree with me, but I just hated it. Even the redeeming factors didn't come close to saving it.

O'Hara/Dracula - Well, I saw the full monty when I went. Bird's eye view in the rush seats.

massofmen
#52re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:08am

I am confused.
I saw Dracula 3 times (don't ask me why) and I thought I saw all and I mean all of MS. Ohara when that dress was sucked through the floor. Was I mistaken?
Do you have "inside" knowledge BrianS that she was not totally in her birthday suit? Just a side question to all the disturbing reviews of Cry-Baby.

twogaab2
#53re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:48am

Not bad enough to be fun. Just dull, dull, dull.

Not the worst I have ever seen (it looked very professional-had a good dance number and some good performances)the basic material (score, lyrics and book) were just plain dull.

Just my opinion, I hope I'm wrong. We will see, maybe the reviewers with like it.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

stagescreen Profile Photo
stagescreen
#54re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:19am

Thanks for the insights on this one guys, but flop or not, I'm still going to see it next week when I'm in NYC. I can't say that I haven't been warned, though. But I do appreciate dreck from time to time. Anyone going to the Sat Mar. 29 matinee?

<---- You can see the crazy in her eyes. ;-)

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#55re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:22am

has anyone stage doored this show? i'm just curious if i should bother.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#56re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:30am

massofmen, you weren't hallucinating. When her dress got sucked off that's all she was wearing.

Yankeefan007
#57re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 10:49am

As I said, she was naked.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#58re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:48pm

Folky- When are you seeing the show? this weekend?

J*

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#59re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 12:50pm

yup! i'm seeing it Saturday night :) i'm praying Carly is in it!
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 12:50 PM

Yankeefan007
#60re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 1:59pm

She must really have injured herself. Unless she quit to quickly get out of it.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#61re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:52pm

This thread (and a couple others about this show) makes me really excited to see it tonight.

As someone who isn't a shill and has been around the boards for a long time, I am going in with an open mind and my only expectation is to be entertained. From the reviews of both old posters and new people (who yes, mainly sound as though they work for the show), this sounds right up my alley.

Especially if Yankeefan007 hated it. :)

Yankeefan007
#62re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 3:56pm

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, Liotte!
Updated On: 3/20/08 at 03:56 PM

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#63re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 4:42pm

Well, i liked YF maybe i am cursed to like flops.Hmm.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#64re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 7:53pm

bump for Yankeefan!

J*

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#65re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 8:19pm

People keep saying its so bad, but what is wrong with it?

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Yankeefan007
#66re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:43pm

Read my initial post.

But here's a small list:

1. It's a musical comedy, but it's only slightly funny, at best.
2. Elizabeth Stanley and James Snyder have neither charisma nor chemistry; he's too good to be bad, she reads too old, he reads too young.
3. The score repeats the same theme over and over with only a few different tunes through the piece.

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#67re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:49pm

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this show!!!! No. Im just kidding. I see it in April.......crap

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#67re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:25am

I was entertained. Reminded me a lot of All Shook Up.

Some cute songs, though not very memorable now that I am home. May have to listen to the demo before I go back (which I want to do after it opens).

Great choreography, especially the male ensemble members. Lots of energy and fun dancing.

Some very funny lines, mainly from Harriet Harris and Christopher Hanke.

Audience seemed to enjoy it, orch was full and mezz looked pretty full.

It wasn't the best thing that I have seen, but it wasn't even close to as bad as so many people are making it out to be.

Story could use a bit of work to help it flow better, a couple songs could be changed (or eliminated), but I think it will improve once the actors get more time under their belts and grow in their roles.

And can Chester please have more to do, especially in act 1?

BenjyStone Profile Photo
BenjyStone
#68re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 2:11am

Chester will get more to do when he joins SHREK this summer.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#69re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 9:57am

Believe it or not... I am considering seeing CRY-BABY next week. I might go to NYC again and just stay with my sister bec. I need to see two shows next weekend..

Most likely--CRY-BABY & A CATERED AFFAIR.

This change of heart was prompted by the two pms..Ive receievd asking me to give CRY-BABY a chance...

Hey, Jay.

I really like you because of your positiveness and great reviews! However, I think you should form your own opinion on CRY-BABY. If it's really horrible, then at least you can say you saw it after it becomes a great, big flop.

I hope this doesn't offset a friendship or anything.

- Tucker.

Cry-Baby from XXX-name witheld
on 3/18/08 @ 11:17:38 AM
Hi J*!

I'm not a newbie here (I've been a member for about a year, I just don't post much, but I read the boards every day), and I just wanted to let you know that I loved Cry-Baby. I saw the first preview, and I really had a great time. The dancing was great, the music was catchy, the book was funny, the ensemble is strong. While the acting is good (some more than others), Alli Mauzey is without a doubt the standout. The show has work to be done, but I looked over its flaws knowing it was the first preview. I'm sure my one review will not make you go see the show, as I understand you have to travel 8+ hours, but that's just my two cents on the show. Please don't let the negative reviews of your friends sway you never to see it, although that is probably inevitable. I would love for you to go into this show with an open mind.

So I am really thinking of seeing the show now...At least there's two shows for me to see and its not a complete waste of my trip.. Though for now- I will REFRAIN from posting about CRY-BABY until I see the show for myself! re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)

J*

Updated On: 3/21/08 at 09:57 AM

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#70re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 12:50pm

I have to say I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the show but I'm ready to admit that the critics will slaughter the show. The book is a spoof and the show is more of an ensemble piece and that's why the love between the two characters doesn't get more stage time.

If Chester Gregory thought this show had legs, he wouldn't be bailing out to do Shrek so quickly. I still think he should get a Tony nomination for his amazing work in the show.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#71re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:22pm

If Chester Gregory thought this show had legs, he wouldn't be bailing out to do Shrek so quickly

you really think that? i thought he didn't have that big of a part. considering his part in SHREK is going be huge, do you think this part [in CRY-BABY] is equal to his role he will have in SHREK?

Hank
#72re: My (actual) thoughts on CRY-BABY (long)
Posted: 3/21/08 at 1:29pm

So at least you liked the dancing. I'm an Ashford fan as well, and I'll be looking forward to seeing CB next week.
re: "Elizabeth Stanley reads too old". I adored her in Company, but had had same thoughts. I'll see.

Videos