pixeltracker

Shows that don't age well- Page 4

Shows that don't age well

eatlasagna
#75Shows That Don't Age Well
Posted: 8/23/11 at 10:54pm

someone mentioned the Wiz... i saw the la jolla production and was very underwhelmed by it... as i've mentioned before, i felt like the production was pandering to the audience by basically telling them "hi we're updated"... and it was pretty lame with all the world wide web references regarding the wicked witch of the west... get it? www?? we're no longer a dated show! LAME! putting toto on wheelies was interesting but wasn't necessary... it was just an odd production (although finely sung)

I saw the Flower Drum Song revisal when it was in Los Angeles and I quite enjoyed it... it felt like a very modern musical (although I didn't like that David Henry Hwang wrote some random gay character that felt out of place in the show for me)... it is a rarity to see a show out there for Asian Americans and I felt very much connected to the piece when I saw it... i heard it changed when it went to New York... anyway... i never saw the original... would that one be considered dated now?

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Gobstopper
#76Shows That Don't Age Well
Posted: 8/23/11 at 11:47pm

I saw the revival tour of A Chorus Line as a 19 year old with no previous exposure to the show (other than "One"). It was one of the funniest, smartest, and most touching shows I have ever seen. Every joke still plays and it's still heartbreaking and inspiring.

I would argue that Company is a lot more rooted in the 70s than ACL, and I think it still holds up too.

RENT's revival would have been a lot more moving to audiences in about 15 years. The revival is running into the same problem the movie had: the 90's are too far away to be completely current and too close to be retro... It's going to be a classic that is of its time (like Hair), whether BWW queens like it or not.

And Les Mis? REALLY? How has it not aged well?

Nick Murphy
#77Shows That Don't Age Well
Posted: 8/24/11 at 9:48pm

Mame
Camelot
Sweet Charity
A Chorus Line
Company
Man Of LaMancha
Cats

N2Theater
#78Shows That Don't Age Well
Posted: 8/24/11 at 11:58pm

Applause is at the top of my list. Never had a good revival.
They're Playing Our Song - Maybe could work as a period piece
Promises Promises - it's Turkey Lurkey time! Give me a break.
Baby - felt dated when it opened
Of Thee I Sing
RENT

Videos