News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Gobstopper

Gobstopper Profile Photo
Member Name: Gobstopper
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Shows That Don't Age Well
 Aug 23 2011, 11:47:19 PM
I saw the revival tour of A Chorus Line as a 19 year old with no previous exposure to the show (other than "One"). It was one of the funniest, smartest, and most touching shows I have ever seen. Every joke still plays and it's still heartbreaking and inspiring.

I would argue that Company is a lot more rooted in the 70s than ACL, and I think it still holds up too.

RENT's revival would have been a lot more moving to audiences in about 15 years. The revival is running into the sam

What Original Show Props Do You Have?
 Aug 9 2011, 12:41:12 AM
I caught a guitar pick while dancing onstage during the first month of HAIR's revival. I have a Be-In flyer too.
More Fun with Newsweek's Homophobicest Openly Gay Reporter
 May 8 2010, 02:58:14 PM
Nicely stated, Kristin! It's great that she still speaks up about these issues even though she's becoming more of a "name" these days!
Lion King cutting songs - anyone know if legit?
 May 7 2010, 03:18:24 PM
I think "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" is the most beautiful moment in the show (even more so than Circle of Life). I'm frankly a little appalled that they would cut the interludes.

"Chow Down" on the other hand should have been cut YEARS ago.

Cheno is singing A House is Not a Home on glee right now.
 Apr 29 2010, 09:11:35 AM
I really enjoyed this episode. It made me more emotional than I'm really comfortable with. haha "Home," "A House is Not a Home," and "Beautiful" were all reeeeally terrific.

My one beef was that when I heard "Heart of Glass" by Blondie in the roller rink scene, I thought Cheno would be singing that and I got very excited. But alas, no.

Is anybody else surprised at the lack of Kristin/Idina scenes though? That seemed... obligatory, but it never happened.

Do you think it's important for Rent to have a multiracial cast?
 Apr 21 2010, 12:48:51 PM
Larcen, there are waaaay too many lines about Mark's Jewish heritage to say he isn't Jewish. The "High Holy Days" line in La Vie Boheme, learning to tango with the rabbi's daughter at the Scarsdale Jewish Community Center, "Mazel Tov," etc. Why would Jonathan Larson include all of that information if not to inform the audience that Mark is Jewish?

That said, I don't really know what issue that presents. It's not like one has to be Caucasian to be Jewish. Mark can be any race, as far as

re: Kenny Ortega hits 'Heights'
 Dec 14 2009, 09:39:32 PM
I agree with round2. Ortega seems like the ideal person for the job.
re: Does Chicago need to close?
 Dec 14 2009, 09:37:03 PM
Perhaps they just need to import the tour cast. I saw them in Indy less than a month ago, and that company is fantastic. They were so energetic and the crowd loved them. Carol Woods, in particular, is phenomenal.

I don't get why people are complaining about the design of the show. I love the set, and the lighting is incredible.

re: Dee to Depart Wicked JAN
 Dec 10 2009, 01:12:35 AM
Mandy Gonzalez and Lea both fit that "Best Musical/not nominated," but I would think Lea would be unlikely to do it. She lives in Los Angeles, she has a steady job already, and frankly, she doesn't NEED to do it. I know Elphaba is one of Lea's dream roles, but Mandy still seems like a much more likely choice.

What about Andrea Burns? I mean, sure, she's wrong for the role, but homegirl is fierce. :)

re: Dee to Depart Wicked JAN
 Dec 10 2009, 12:38:02 AM
Remember last time they allegedly were going to stuntcast and it was Nicole Parker? I can't tell you how many lolz I've gotten from Wicked casting rumors over the years...
re: Glee Finale Don't Rain on My Parade
 Dec 10 2009, 12:35:22 AM
It was incredible. I know Spring Awakening fans get a bad wrap, but I'm sure there were plenty of other old school Guilty Ones like myself that were saying, "That's *OUR* girl" during that song. I have been so proud to see her blossom into such a star. I knew she would when I saw her as Wendla, but it's been amazing to watch her ascend the way she has.

And then to follow her going all gangbusters on "Parade" with one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs? Fan-freaking-tastic.

re: Why Arent' Actors Dubbed In Movie Musicals Anymore?
 Dec 4 2009, 11:58:22 AM
Ugh, "Believe." Now I'm going to have THAT stuck in my head the rest of the day. So. Angry.
re: Idina Menzel Would 'Love' to Guest Star on GLEE
 Dec 4 2009, 11:53:16 AM
I know this happens all the time on TV (hello, The OC!), but Idina does not look old enough to play Lea's mom, in my humble opinion. It would be like Rachel's two gay dads had a teenager carry their baby... Which would be weird.
re: Kristen Chenoweth or Leah Michele as the next Sally?
 Dec 4 2009, 11:48:59 AM
I was just about to post the same thing, PRS. I would give anything to see a PROFESSIONAL film of Richardson's performance.
re: Kristen Chenoweth or Leah Michele as the next Sally?
 Dec 3 2009, 04:41:26 PM
I think a remake seems kinda unlikely... But to be fair, I wouldn't have thought anybody would be stupid enough to remake a classic like My Fair Lady either, and the powers that be are doing that. So what do I know?

I think Kristin Chenoweth is completely wrong for the role (and that her half of "Maybe This Time" was kinda mediocre). Lea doesn't seem ideal for the role either, but I'd rather her than Chenoweth.

Dec 3 2009, 04:35:55 PM
Pgenre's right about that "sweetening" vs. "autotuning" thing. People completely overuse the phrase "autotuning" to the point of being utterly ridiculous.

As far as Winston's statement Zac Efron being able to sing the higher notes in Hairspray, wouldn't that have to do with the amount of falsetto used in Link's songs. I'm not especially familiar with High School Musical, but I don't recall a lot of those songs being in falsetto.

re: Best Musical Show Album Grammy Nominees
 Dec 3 2009, 04:30:22 PM
Hair has it in the bag.

I know EVERYBODY has said this already, but how did N2N get snubbed?

Dec 3 2009, 01:11:05 PM
Furthermore, Renee would have never been dubbed for Empire Records, because she wasn't famous at all then. They could have just found some other cute blonde girl if Renee couldn't sing her little verse. She wasn't RENEE ZELLWEGER then. She was just some young, attractive girl. Hollywood's full of those.

I could see that thing about the one "jazz" being possible though. If I remember right, that note is pretty high, and I don't know that she actually sings that high at any other point in

Dec 3 2009, 12:56:32 PM
If they got somebody to dub Renee Zellwegger for "Chicago," they must have gotten the exact same singer they had for her song in "Empire Records." I'm pretty sure it's her voice in both. You can't keep a secret like THAT these days (and by these days, I mean "post-Milli Vanilli").
re: CapnHook revisits the RENT movie
 Nov 29 2009, 02:27:51 PM
I believe "Love Heals" was intended to be used for the ending credits, but they decided not to use it before the film's theatrical release. So, no, it was never there.
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You