pixeltracker

BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY- Page 4

BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY

Thezbean
#75re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 6:14pm

Penny isn't a spaz. She's a potato with arms and legs.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#76re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 6:16pm

Same thing. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

BrOadWayGAL2 Profile Photo
BrOadWayGAL2
#77re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 6:33pm

i thought jenn was sooo good in HAIRSPRAY.. jenn was just soooooooo cute...i love kerrys voice as well..

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#78re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 7:06pm

Penny is not a potato!!!!

and jezzebelle thank you I feel a little better knowing it's not just me who feels that way.

Also Penny isn't actually stupid she's a little slow on the up take, there is a difference! Amber is pretty much the same way only self centered as well. "What are you doing in this huge group of minorities!" that's dumb "And put words on them!" that's getting caught up in the moment and trying to fit in. Penny is very endearing because she means so well and she just doesn't always think things out before she talks we all know people like that (one of my best friend's is a totally penny when it comes to blond moments).

Penny is an awesome character and the show would not be the same without her so applause to John Waters for protesting when she was almost cut out of the show! Also the shows is not the same without a very strong Penny.

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

jezzebelle
#79re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 9:36pm

Penny is my favorite character in the entire show (second only to Tracy) and when you have a strong, comedic actress playing the part, it just works so well. Unfourtnately, when you don't have as strong of an actress or singer, it doesn't work as well.

Kathy and Jenn had amazing chemistry together as Tracy and Penny. I truly believed in their friendship. Whether this was because of their off-stage connection, I dunno, but it was awesome. When Penny comforts Tracy in "I Know Where I've Been", I usually tear up even more, because Jenn used to wrap her arms around Kathy and kiss her forehead or cheek. With Brooke (and I'm not blaming her), the chemistry wasn't there. Same with Chester as Seaweed. There was no spark, therefore no reason to root for them. Hopefully, this is a transition period and you don't have chemistry with people instantaneously all the time...JMO.

-Jess

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#80re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 10:55pm

As you can tell Penny is my favorite (second to no one) and it kind of just kills it a little when you have but this image for the character and then someone comes in and is kind of week with the best part of the character, her comedy it just makes me very said.

And I understand what you mean, I saw Jenn with Marissa twice also and they seemed to have that same believable friendship. Also Jenn and Chester are each others Penny and Seaweed they started together and they have a really great bond that way.

I really do hope finds what she is looking for in the character to make it work for her!

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#81re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/29/04 at 11:10pm

Some actors can jump into a role, for others it may take some time to find the character. I do agree that chemistry is very important.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

MileHighPlayers Profile Photo
MileHighPlayers
#82re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/30/04 at 4:30am

I saw the show twice in Denver and was very impressed by how smooth Carly and Sandy had become together since I'd seen them several months before. It's absolutely beyond me why they aren't sending Sandy to New York with Carly. I haven't seen Brooke, but have talked to several people who have and they weren't very complimentary. She's known the Penny track for a long time, she shouldn't have this steep a learning curve.

The second time I saw the show in Denver, Penny was played by a cover (I can't recall the name, but I think she was usually Tammy) and that girl didn't seem to have any problems at all. She was different from Sandy, but every bit as talented and the show still flowed extremely well, the crowd was way into it. If SHE can jump right in why the hell can't Brooke?

Phantom2 is right, some people can jump into a role and others take some time, HOWEVER there are some who never seem to get it in the end. Penny has to be done right or her part is just lost on the crowd. Brooke will either catch up or end up being replaced. It's that simple.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#83re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/30/04 at 8:09am

Or you could just take spaz pills. HAHA

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#84re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 4/30/04 at 8:14am

While Jennifer Gambatese was sublime, I found Brooke to be a sweet and caring Penny and was nicely matched with Kathy Brier the evening I saw the show..and like Phantomo said, sometimes it takes some time to really make the role your own.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

SJ13
#85re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 9/21/04 at 9:11pm

Updated On: 2/3/05 at 09:11 PM

Videos