pixeltracker

BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY

BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY

Jack42
#0BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 3:13pm

Those of you fans of Hairspray will delight in knowing that the new Penny is Brooke Tansley (beginning April 13th) She's been with the original cast since Seattle...

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity -- Harlan Ellison.
Updated On: 3/25/04 at 03:13 PM

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#1re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 3:30pm

are you joking?i saw hairspray with her as penny in july because kerry butler was out and she was bad. i saw her last night as all shoshana beans roles and she was even bad then.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#2re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 3:38pm

Eek. Don't pull any punches Crazy4.
I'm sure she will grow with the opportunity to perform the role more often. Being a swing is very tough on a performer, I can imagine.

Hamlet's father.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#3re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 4:20pm

Don't make me spank you, Crazy4!!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#4re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 4:22pm

when i saw her she blew thats my opinion. and last night in a small role she wasnt that great either.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
#5re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 4:38pm

"when i saw her she blew "
And quite an educated opinion from what I can tell.

You're almost as good as Clive Barnes.

I look forward to your insights into the political and societal implications of the impacts of the opening of 'Bombay Dreams' on American's understanding of pan-Asian culture.

Hamlet's father.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 6:15pm

re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY well lets just say this penny is only leaving the 2 Penny's in her icon. Unless Broke has a new take to the role since I saw her in it in Oct. Her Penny was way to confident to start will! also she didn't come off as a very strong singer compaired to Jenn and Kerry. Not saying she was a bad singer at all just not very powerful sounding. Atleast from where Iwas sitting in the front Row. Maybe with the speakers peoplr behind me could hear her better.

I really hate being mean so I'm very sorry I just really didn't care for her perfomance in the role.

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!
Updated On: 3/25/04 at 06:15 PM

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 6:39pm

Where did you get that information, Jack42?! It's hard to believe.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 6:43pm

There is an artical on Broadway.com about it.

broadwaysweetheart
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 8:50pm

I really wanted to see Jenn again, but I wont say anything about Brooke until I see her.
And Hugs to PennyLou!! hope you get to like her too! Love ya girl!

johny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/25/04 at 11:31pm

i saw her as penny in july. and her performance was week.

catcher Profile Photo
catcher
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 2:03am

Pennylou--don't feel bad. You were being nice!

As for Brooke--I have never seen her, but my sister did and kind of liked her. Sorry to hear everyone is so negative about her.

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 8:42am

I saw Brooke when I last visited HAIRSPRAY, I thought she was very good in the role, she had a sweetness and seemed to connect well with her Tracy.

I do however think that Jennifer Gambatese was a revelation in the role and is one of the funniest performers I've seen on a stage in many years, a gifted comic and a powerful singer.

She is heir to the Carol Burnett throne in my opinion, and she is really beautiful, I'm happy to be a schill for her!

But I think the entire show was in good shape, if it was a teeny bit less "funny" than it was since I had seen it last, it had a new found sweentess that gave the evening a touching and loving feel which made the emotional core of the show that much stronger.

And I don't care what anybody says, Richard H. Blake is an honest to goodness HUNK as Link!

Those dancers are on FIRE!

Good luck to Brooke and may HAIRSPRAY continue to spread it's AMAZING joy!

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.
Updated On: 3/26/04 at 08:42 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 9:13am

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, shall we?

Thank you.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Schuyler
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 9:27am

Crazyformatt

why do you see hairpsray so much? Don't you have a life?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 9:40am

The Police have arrived. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 11:23am

Oh i wish Kerry was in it again.
She was the best!

ckeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 11:31am

See a Penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck! re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Unless you're Brenda, then you'll just get pregnant!! HAHA

Updated On: 3/26/04 at 11:31 AM

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:02pm

phantom2...thank you for giving me my first laugh of the day lol.

I'm sorry you guys.. but, Just because Brooke isn't "kerry" or "jenn" doesn't mean the role of penny is screwed.. Brooke has gone on a TON of times and she is different each time. She is adorable and I think once she is in the role everynight, you will all be back here saying how much you enjoyed her performance. I also have to add that Brooke is the most generous person. She is such a nice girl and always has something fun or nice to say to you. I am very glad for her that she finally gets this huge chance. She also got a cute new hair cut woo! Penny Penny... HS has got some great swings.

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:15pm

I think I would have had a more open mind about Brooke if I wasn't such a huge fan of Kerry's and Jenn's. Like if it was the first time I saw the show I'm sure I still would have loved it like the frst time I did see it. It's just that since Penny is my favorite character I kind of hold the role on a high standard and so I was disappointed when it wasn't meet.

But EddieVarley you are right she did have a strong connection to Tracy when I saw it. Thats a good thing. Hopefully she will get into the role and surprise me once she has the chance to make it her own night after night. I hope so!

Anyway as I said I'm not trying to be mean I just didn't care for her Penny last time I saw her in the role. I have seen Brook and Brenda and Shelly and I thought she did a wonderful Job in those roles. I don't have anything against Brooke as a performer (or as a person which Amneris seems to think) I just didn't care for her in the role of Penny last time I saw her.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:18pm

penny lou i wasn't attacking you lol. i don't want you to think that. I just want people to give Brooke a chance. (We ALL know that no matter who plays the part everyone is going to compare the new person to kerry) but, just enjoy and have fun... dance in the aisles and buy merchandise.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:24pm

Dancing in the aisles is Mamma Mia! HAHA

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:25pm

could you imagine if people danced in the aisles at phantom of the opera?

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: BROOKE TANSLEY - NEW PENNY IN HAIRSPRAY
Posted: 3/26/04 at 12:26pm

Or better yet...PARADE

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Videos