pixeltracker

Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week- Page 4

Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week

Lori
#75re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 9:58am

NYLG, you may be correct in your assertation that the majority of people who post on the MBFC Forum exhibit a lack of objectivity where the man and his work are concerned, but I think that is probably true of most Fan Club Forums. It does not necessarily follow that admiration of a performer strips one of all objectivity with regards to his work. For example, I agree with CDuffy and Sharon1 that Michael has one of the finest, if not the finest voice in musical theatre today, but the first time I saw him on a Theatre stage was in "Chitty" and I was one of the few sincerely hoping that he would not take on the role of Caractacus on Broadway. While I understand his reasons for taking on the challenge of a musical comedy the show really did nothing to showcase his talent in that area and did not challenge him vocally. On the other hand, I loved him in "Patience" at the NYC Opera, which proved to be the perfect vehicle for him to strut his stuff vocally and comedically.

As for WIW, while I think MB is fabulous as Fosco my love of and admiration for this show goes beyond his performance. I think the score is absolutely beautiful...truly haunting. The entire cast is first rate. One of the best I have ever seen on a theatre stage. There is not a weak link in any of the leads and the depth of the ensemble has been proven over the course of the run so far...in particular the stunning Lisa Brescia. I'm a huge fan of Maria Friedman's, but Lisa has done an outstanding job understudying her. Although I haven't seen him, I'm also told that Norman Large has done a very good job filling in for MB during his recent illness.

I also happen to enjoy the projection sets. I find them innovative and visually stunning...if slightly distracting in places.

My major criticism with the show is one that others have mentioned here. I prefer the drama and melancholy of the London ending to the revised version here on Broadway. The change in mood is jarring and inconsistant with the flow of the story.

Oh, and my other major criticism is the appalling lack of publicity...the results of which are evident in the box office grosses and in the existence of this thread.

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

sharon1
#76re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:34am

Oh Lori
You are good. I have to say that. I love your response. Broadway like so many other things in this day and age depend on the p.r. machine. As a non-professional in theatre, even I can see where they have let the show down. Don't know where the heads of the various producers have been but maybe they should wake up and get moving. I too love this score. I have the Phantasia cd and listen to it constantly. It is a real work of art. I think you are correct about "most" fan clubs and sites. They are there for the artist and his following. For fun and information. People get too critical of them. And they shouldn't. Frankly, I don't care if it is a fan club, theatre group, school, church, business, whatever, you can get a few nutzoids anywhere. They come in every area of life.

sharon1
#77re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:34am

Oh Lori
You are good. I have to say that. I love your response. Broadway like so many other things in this day and age depend on the p.r. machine. As a non-professional in theatre, even I can see where they have let the show down. Don't know where the heads of the various producers have been but maybe they should wake up and get moving. I too love this score. I have the Phantasia cd and listen to it constantly. It is a real work of art. I think you are correct about "most" fan clubs and sites. They are there for the artist and his following. For fun and information. People get too critical of them. And they shouldn't. Frankly, I don't care if it is a fan club, theatre group, school, church, business, whatever, you can get a few nutzoids anywhere. They come in every area of life.

Beansie
#78re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:52am

I've been following this message board for ages but rarely post since someone always manages to say what was on my mind. However, I think I need to say something here.

First, I've seen WIW and love it. It is "my" kind of show. I realize it won't be for everyone, but there must be others like me out there.

The thing that really bothers me is all the comments about the music being another ALW rehash. I think the score is stunning. I've also discovered through the years that regardless of the composer, you can hear similarities in their various scores. There are parts of Scarlet Pimpernel that sound just like some of the Jekyll & Hyde numbers. Certainly the melodies are similar in places. Same with Sondheim. Listen carefully and parts of the Passion score show up in other plays.

I think it's just the way the composer writes. I don't know anything about music (which is why I don't post), but even with my untrained ear, I can hear similarities. I don't really find that with WIW. I just come away wanting to hear more and more of the music.

Michelleruth2 Profile Photo
Michelleruth2
#79re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 1:41pm

Besides not being crazy about the score (as I posted before), does anyone else find the singing voice of the "ghost" annoying? It grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard........

Otherwise, like I said in a prior post on this thread, I enjoyed the show (projected sets, performances of rest of the cast).

YayJudyYayJudy Profile Photo
YayJudyYayJudy
#80re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 1:46pm

umm... spoilers ahead???

The "ghost" as in Anne Cathrick? No, it's marvelous! She's so haunting and creepy in the show, Angela Christian is fantastic. Although I get lost in her accent, and the accent of the little girl here and there... a type of Scottish, British feel...

proudly changing my name frequently since 2004

chances are AndyF is posting above or below me...

"THIS is how you dress for the Tony's, get it!? Ok, see you at the after-party..." [YAHM]

Michelleruth2
#81re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 1:58pm

Yes, the Ann Cathrick character.
I got the same feeling when I watch the video clip of her on this site. It was worse in person.

RentBoy86
#82re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:27pm

You mean the "ghost" chick that sings in the first track at the railroad station or whatever it is? And she blares out that note at the end? Its so fragile and weak that I love it. Esp, the big orchestration that happens right after she says, "I might save a life..."

Michelleruth2
#83re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:57pm

Yes, that is her.
I guess I just don't "get it".....

bwaylvsong
#84re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 6:59pm

Yesterday in Metro Newspaper, I read an article in the opinion section about the meaninglessness (is that a word?) of standing ovations. The writer particularly cited WIW as a show that did not deserve a standing o and could not even comprehend why anyone would stand up. He failed to mention that those who stood up might have actually liked the show.

I personally loved the show and wish it a very long run.

jo
#85re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 7:15pm

The first time I saw the show ( in London) , I thought Angela Christian's voice ( as the woman in white, aka the show "ghost") grating to the ears with her "I've got a secret" whining...When I saw the show again on Broadway, it made me realize that her creepy and weird expressions actually added to the gothic atmosphere. Figure that one out re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week

I won't be surprised if she pulls off a TONY nomination. Updated On: 1/5/06 at 07:15 PM

VinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
#86re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 8:20pm

Jo, you needn't worry about being surprised. Not a chance.

jo
#87re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 8:26pm

Vinnie,

I'd be happy so long as Michael and Maria get nominated ( as you predicted re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week)

Jo

VinnieTheIceman Profile Photo
VinnieTheIceman
#88re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/5/06 at 8:41pm

Put in the books. Those will happen absent some off the charts performances in the spring shows.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#89re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/6/06 at 8:54pm

Flop flop flop floppidy flop flop FLOP!

Hallelujah.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#90re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/6/06 at 9:26pm

I'm going to try to see this in the coming weeks. I know this sounds kind of stupid, but I thik they should have waited for Phantom to close before bringing another ALW thriller to B'Way.

Rebekah
#91re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/9/06 at 1:45am

Firstly - I haven't read the whole thread. Secondly yes I'm a Michael Ball fan.

Now with those two things said hopefully my post will not detract from this thread.

Quote - and Hugh's performance was a magical experience that I feel blessed I was lucky to have witnessed !!

Isn't this alot of what attending Broadway shows is about? Aren't even the producers looking for a "name" that can bring crowds in?

When I was in London sitting in the audience of "Woman in White" there must have been a visible question mark directly over my head because I most definitely had the thought of "Would this fly on Broadway?". It is very different than the Broadway goers are used to. I think if it fails some of that is due to this very reason. You need to think a little bit in the show not just sit back and be entertained. Enough has been said about the music and the projections but you can never say enough about this cast!!! I loved the Broadway Glyde, Ron Bohmer!!!(sp?) I think this was my biggest thrill about the difference between London and Broadway.

If this and other threads have not got your curiousity up enough, go to see two of Britain's finest!!!!!! (Kind of hard to do at the moment) That won't be happening again I'm sure. Don't let the experience escape. If two of America's finest were headlining together in London I would hope those patrons would frequent that kind of performance as well.

I just loved the Broadway production of this play. Even more than the London production.

gecko
#92re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/9/06 at 2:20am

Overall, this show is well worth seeing. The sets are unique and memorable, Maria Friedman and Michael Ball are great in their roles...and what other show has a rat to watch!

CDuffy5062
#93re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/9/06 at 8:12am

Thanks, Vinnie. We appreciate your letting us know. I really do think both Ms. Friedman's and Mr. Ball's performances deserve nominations.

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#94re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:14pm

me too!! actually WIW is doing quite well, it is a large theater!

sharon1
#95re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:54pm

Plus with all the understudies this past week because of the virus that has hit the cast. Especially Michael Ball. As far as actual attendance they fall somewhere in the middle.

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#96re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/10/06 at 6:39am

yeaa thats right! well its a large theater and it is atually doing well! The percentages keep going up...so

OasisBroadway
#97re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/10/06 at 8:56am

I think Angela Christian is simply marvelous in this. Yes, her voice is creepy and that's the beauty of it. Overall I wasn't crazy about WIW but her performance really stood out.

*ASH*
#98re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/10/06 at 4:31pm

Random thing... I saw TWIW last Nov in London. it was great, but hardly any seats were sold. 1/2 the circle(mezzanine,)the upper circle & the balcony were empty... wouldn't surprise me if it closed, cos not many people i was with actually liked it. It also doesn't seem to be one of those shows that you think "oh wow,I gotta see that" when you see it advertised.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#99re: Woman In White 77% attendance Christmas week
Posted: 1/10/06 at 4:58pm

What's weird is that many of the London theatre sites have WIW listed in their top 10. Wonder if the Palace is another huge theatre that might be hard to fill?

Remember too, WIW's operating costs aren't huge like say Sunset Boulevard was. The break even point is much lower, so as long as it continues to make money, it will play London and Broadway (and a tour version should be relatively easy to put together)

Videos