Scary Poppins

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#75re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/20/06 at 9:21pm

hey everyone...
i did a search on the boards and couldn't find the answers to my questions...maybe i didn't look hard enough...but i thought i'd ask you all for help.
ticketmaster says tomorrow night's (saturday 8pm) performance is sold out, and i am dying to go (i will be going out of town for a while beginning next week).
1) do they do a cancellation line for previews?
2) what time do you think i should get there for the 8pm performance if i want hopes of getting a ticket?
thanks everyone re: Scary Poppins

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#76re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/21/06 at 1:00am

They do have a cancellation line...of sorts. It isn't very organized, but it exists.

I would get there super early. There are very few cancellations from what I saw tonight and most of them were in the orchestra and you have to be willing to pay 110 dollars for them.

I saw the show the first night of previews and I took my mom to see it again tonight.

I have an extremely irrational fear of clowns and "Temper, Temper" doesn't really scare me. I do agree that "Brimstone and Treacle" is scarier. I watched the reaction of the kids around me tonight. At the first preview, they did seem a little scared, bu quickly got over it as soon as Mary Poppins reappeared. I think its a fleeing terror, soon forgotton.

It may seem a little out of place, but if you watch carefully, it does tie in. I enjoy it and don't think they have to cut it. It's nice to see such a large focus on the ensemble and I think it adds a slight, sinister note to a show that is extremely upbeat.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

EganFan2
#77re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/21/06 at 11:52am

Slightly OT, but how is Ashley Brown playing Mary? That is, what approach is she taking?

mebice Profile Photo
mebice
#78re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/21/06 at 12:34pm

Well, Ashley Brown is amazing. So, before the show opens, I am reading the SHOWBILL, by the way, what is up with Disney not using playbill, and there is this long article about how Cameron promised the original writer that Mary Poppins herself would be darker and a little meaner. Its not a secret she hated Julie Andrews's portrayal. But, I don't think Ashley was all that different from Julie's Mary. Now again, I havent seen the film in quite some time, but I sincerely think they are very comparable. Her voice is absolutely perfect for this role. She has a lot of great one liners, and there is this consistant move she does on the stairs that always gets a laugh out of the audience, every time. She is one of the best things about this show, along with the sets. I wish I could take a sneak peak behind the stage to see all the intricacies with this set.

"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#79re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/21/06 at 1:02pm

what do you think, guys...

if i get to the new amsterdam around 5:30 tonight, do you think i'll be there early enough to get a cancellation ticket for the 8pm performance?

re: Scary Poppins

xerotheory7803
#80re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 11/15/06 at 10:36am

im going to see this on friday...they havent cut temper, temper, have they?

kec Profile Photo
kec
#81re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 11/15/06 at 11:14am

From what I've read in other message threads that had reviews of the show, TEMPER TEMPER was not cut out entirely, but it was trimmed down a bit.

Videos