News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Life After Patti?

OrdinaryJukebox
#75re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 2:48pm

I'd like to see Mary Testa take on the role.

As much as I love Liza (from back in the day), I don't think she's up for the challenge. Poor thing...

And I know everyone seems to love the "color blind" casting craze, however, it would be wrong in this case. "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," fine...it wasn't about real people who actually existed, and it's not about race. I think casting a black woman in this role would be like casting Rosie O'Donnell in "Caroline, or Change." Hey, lesbians know about discrimination, wouldn't it be the same thing?? :-P

-Vincent

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#76re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 2:54pm

Regarding Liza. I think Laurents has said in the past it would be too much "look at me I'm Liza" for the role.

He DOES think Barbara Streisand can still play it though.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#77re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:16pm

Oh yeah, I recall reading something about a performance she did of Rose's Turn in the 80's in which she outstretched her arms during the finale. He stated that based off of that performance, he would never let her play Rose because she isn't in character. To him, it was too much about Liza not Rose.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#78re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:26pm

And I disagree about the "real people" argument for colorblind casting. Like it or not, the characters in "Gypsy" have outgrown the people they were based on to become their own entities. I mean, enough liberties were taken with them in the first place. And I doubt many people today know who Gypsy Rose Lee or June Havoc are. It's not like they would go "hey, that's not right". And I doubt June would care; how old is she now?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:31pm

June actually has had a tough time with the musical. I'm not too sure she would like that change.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#80re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:38pm

Well, while a show like THURGOOD or THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK would not do well with "color-blind" casting, I think GYPSY could work. While Gypsy and many of the other characters were real people, I would bet not many people seeing the show would know what any of them actually look like, other than Gypsy and June. Besides, the show takes so many liberties anyway, I don't think it matters much.

That being said, Tonya Pinkins would be incredible. And so would Donna Murphy.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#81re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:41pm

GYPSY would, could, and should work with color-blind casting.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#82re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:46pm

I mean, hell, Norm Lewis was Javert.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#83re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/27/08 at 5:50pm

Not only did Ethel Merman do the full run of Gypsy (702 performances), but she completed the full runs of Panama Hattie, Call Me Madam, and Annie Get Your Gun (all 1147 performances) as well -- all running more than 500 performances. She was hard to replace!

Videos