pixeltracker

Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...- Page 5

Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#100re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 11:17pm

I just saw the show tonight and I just wanted to say that there was practically no riffing at all, only in You'll See, Seasons of Love, and I'll Cover You (Reprise). The acting seemed to be this cast's strong point although many did have strong voices. I especially loved Mark, Mimi, and the Maureen understudy.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#101re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 12:22am

Hey, I also saw the show tonight!! Lotto seat, AA 102.

The show was in wonderful shape and the enegry couldnt have been better. Which is why I never understand all the complaints that I never get an inkling of when I watch this show. *shrug*

Jaime is an AMAZING Mimi and I think one of my new favorite.s that is all!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

jimnysf
#102re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 12:27am

It's hard for me to believe postings about how great or wonderful the show is from people with "rent" in their user names. I'd say you are predisposed to always love "Rent", no matter what. re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

EverythingIsRENT
#103re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 12:38am

Okay, you caught me! Fair enough re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

tmm_fan
#104re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 12:52am

SAVE THE PALO ALTO BOWL!

http://www.facebook.com/fireballchase

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

"Don't let them mold your mind, they want to control mankind, seems like their only intention is to exploit the earth; and you trust in their deceit, your mind causes your defeat, and so you become an invention to distort this earth; propoganda and lies, is a plague in our lives, how much more victimized, before we realize (hey) ... they'll make it attractive, to get man destracted, corrupting your (soul), polluting your (soul), destroying (your soul, mind control) ... ooh grand master, let the people go, you put them in total confusion, to downs-troy their soul; for they practise what you preach, so they're always in your reach, hi-tech slavery in these days, its mind control" -- Stephen Marley
Updated On: 10/10/06 at 12:52 AM

tmm_fan
#105re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 12:56am

Lemme guess ... huge rose-colored glasses on and constantly cheerful no matter what; and Rent could go to hell and you'd still call it a masterpiece and never understand why it left Broadway lol

Like those annoying Boy Meets World fans who still don't get why the show was cancelled (psst ... new writers made it become totally un-funny and immature and thus ratings fell) :)

SAVE THE PALO ALTO BOWL!

http://www.facebook.com/fireballchase

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

"Don't let them mold your mind, they want to control mankind, seems like their only intention is to exploit the earth; and you trust in their deceit, your mind causes your defeat, and so you become an invention to distort this earth; propoganda and lies, is a plague in our lives, how much more victimized, before we realize (hey) ... they'll make it attractive, to get man destracted, corrupting your (soul), polluting your (soul), destroying (your soul, mind control) ... ooh grand master, let the people go, you put them in total confusion, to downs-troy their soul; for they practise what you preach, so they're always in your reach, hi-tech slavery in these days, its mind control" -- Stephen Marley

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#106re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 1:52am

The show was in wonderful shape and the enegry couldnt have been better. Which is why I never understand all the complaints that I never get an inkling of when I watch this show. *shrug*

Well, OBVIOUSLY Michael Greif reads BWW for suggestions, don't ya know? re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

defyingravity11
#107re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 1:27pm

EverythingIsRENT, I was 6 rows behind you! Were you the one who stood up first for curtain call?

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

EverythingIsRENT
#108re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 2:25pm

that's so funny!! Yeah that was probably me (and my guy friend next to me on the asile), as I was very happy with the performance. I was wearing a pink shirt, if that helps? What did you think of Jaime?? I'm so glad I saw her and can't wait to go back and see her again ! Her Goodbye, Love was intense.

verdigris73
#109re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 4:33pm

I have to say, I didn't like "Rent" at all when I saw it on Broadway. I loved the cast recording and couldn't wait to see it, so I was a bit confused as to why I didn't like it.

Same with the movie. I simply didn't like it.

Thankfully -- to me, anyway -- the music is powerful and stands on its own.

defyingravity11
#110re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/10/06 at 5:17pm

Jamie's Mimi was so intense! Her acting was incredible throughout the entire show, even when the action did not focus on her. This cannot be said of other actresses in the role. And her voice was, of course, amazing! My only complaint is that she rushed the "I jumped over the moon..." lines a little. She and Justin gave the strongest performances of the night, IMO.

Videos