pixeltracker

Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 12:58am

At least I don't think so.

I saw RENT tonight for the first time ever (live). I did see the film several times.

Well where to begin? It was more of an event than it was a show. The story wasn't told AT ALL. It was basically the cast having fun on stage singing these songs.

1) The energy from the actors was great, however that's no excuse for the rest:
2) The acting was pushed all around, except for Jaime Lee Kirchner as Mimi and Justin Johnson as Angel.
3) Did they ever sing the notes as Larson had written them? I totally get interpreting a song and making it your own - and there have been so many actors in these roles - and I understand them wanting to make them different - but COME ON! They've been re-written! If I had never of heard the music before, I wouldn't have known Larson's brilliance.
4) Tim Howar was GOD AWFUL as Roger!! His acting and ESPECIALLY his voice was pushed so much it fell off the roof! And his "One Song Glory" wasn't even in tune! It just SOUNDED awful!
5) It was all about the songs and not about the story. All the obvious Rent Heads in the audience would applaud for the songs because "they were sung well" but who cares? That's an expectation - these are Broadway performers! Where's the story?? If I just wanted to listen to the songs I'd put on the CD or go to a high school cabaret concert.
6) I think it's disgusting that there is no cell phone announcement, that they allow pictures to be taken and do nothing about it except say "don't take pictures", and sell food and beverages in the lobby. However, these are issues not just with RENT but other theatres as well.

The show is just old. It's tired out. It needs to close. It'd be better off now being licensed to regional theatres and schools. I'm sure many of these productions will be better than what I just saw tonight. I want my $65 back!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Freckles1329 Profile Photo
Freckles1329
#1re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:00am

I'm sorry you felt that way.
I usually love the show when I see it.
It was the movie that wasn't great in my opinion.

"For example, if I should paint my fingernails green - and it just so happens I do paint them green. Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say: 'I think it's pretty!'"

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#2re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:02am

Rent just isn't a good show at all. I hate the following SOO Much.

Maggie_May
#3re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:14am

How can you say all of that when you have never seen the show before and are comparing it to the movie that was made? A bad movie at that.

Maggie_May
#4re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:14am

sorry double post my computer is acting up Updated On: 10/9/06 at 01:14 AM

jimnysf
#5re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:16am

"Rent" is so passe.
It's time for "Rent" to go away.

I made a little ryhme...kinda.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

Over_the_Moon
#6re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:20am

Ready for it to close.

I'm kind of tired of the, "Jonathan Larson's vision is gone, wah!" arguement, though.

"what have we learned? Don't smoke... don't do drugs and don't sing 'Defying Gravity'." -CATSNYRevival

FabalaYero85
#7re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:26am

The sob story of Rent isn't what Larson would want is getting really old. All shows that have been on Broadway for a decent amount of time will lose its valor and message. it happens.

Tonight's show was amazing though. I haven't seen it since Matt Caplan's last show but seeing Karmine Alers as the bag lady/SOLoist was worth the money I spent on the ticket.

hmm...

maybethistime
#8re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:28am

Totally agree that it's time for it to go. And we could really used the extra theatre... although I hope the really clean it up before something else goes in there... It's kinda gross.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:30am

I didn't care for the movie. It's one of the few Broadway shows I don't follow or care to follow. I'm sorry you felt that way Capn Hook.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:32am

Interesting that you complained about the picture-taking. The Nederlander ushers are widely known for being camera nazis.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 10/9/06 at 01:32 AM

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#11re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:32am

You are entitled to your own opinion, but I don't think it's your place to say what Jonathan Larson would want/like.

tmm_fan
#12re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:33am

The movie is painstakingly faithful to the stage version ... there are just certain things on stage that cannot be duplicated with the same effect on camera. And vica versa, might I add.

Rent has never been about the acting, IMO. Even in the beginning ... if you'rea great actor, awesome ... but the shows always had more bad acting than good from the leads, ya know? This latest non-equity tour is so awesome, though ... great acting all-around.

The singing has also varied at times, especially with Mark and Roger, sometimes, it's more yelling than singing (Matt Caplan *cough* :) )

Rent has never been a traditional musical But the powers still there. With the right cast, that is. Some performers are so stiff in their acting, it's almost painful to watch and as a nresult takes away from everything.

JMHO

SAVE THE PALO ALTO BOWL!

http://www.facebook.com/fireballchase

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

"Don't let them mold your mind, they want to control mankind, seems like their only intention is to exploit the earth; and you trust in their deceit, your mind causes your defeat, and so you become an invention to distort this earth; propoganda and lies, is a plague in our lives, how much more victimized, before we realize (hey) ... they'll make it attractive, to get man destracted, corrupting your (soul), polluting your (soul), destroying (your soul, mind control) ... ooh grand master, let the people go, you put them in total confusion, to downs-troy their soul; for they practise what you preach, so they're always in your reach, hi-tech slavery in these days, its mind control" -- Stephen Marley

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#13re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:43am

This isn't meant to be taken negatively...I just want to make it clear what I am saying by defending some remarks made in replies:

a) I never compared it to the movie. I simply stated that I had never seen the stage show but did see the film a lot.

b) Of course it's not for anyone to say what Larson would have wanted, however it cannot be argued that the show as it was performed today is VASTLY DIFFERENT than how it was performed in previews. And I don't just mean the actual performances, but the attitude/atmosphere of the evening from the performers.

c) Of course it's not your traditional musical. However that's no excuse for poor acting. If there is dialogue, it's there for a reason. It means there is story to be told that isn't sung.

Yes, Broadway is indeed in need of theatres...though as I walked past the Palace today I was taken by surprise to see that LESTAT banners were still displayed with a notice in the window saying it closed in May. Why hasn't a new show entered that venue yet? Whatever - point is I don't wish for RENT to close but it what happened tonight happens every night, it's better off closed.

And yes, all shows that are open for years grow to a point where it's "old" however I saw PHANTOM and it was in great shape. I hear CHICAGO is in good shape as well. What is RENT's excuse?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

orangeskittles
#14re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:47am

And yeah. Hiding the "I think" part of your inflammatory thread title inside the thread is pathetic. You don't know. No one does. Why drag him into this? Why not make threads titled "Abba wouldn't want Mamma Mia as it is today?" Or Kander and Ebb wouldn't want Chicago as it is? Because Rent fans are a more rabid audience base and would be enticed to read your thread?

And Chicago is NOT in good shape compared to what it was 10 years ago.

jimnysf
#15re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:51am

Oy! Another snarky comment from you know who....

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

orangeskittles
#16re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:54am

re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...

Becky
#17re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:55am

..all shows that are open for years grow to a point where it's "old" however I saw PHANTOM and it was in great shape.I hear CHICAGO is in good shape as well. What is RENT's excuse?

The "excuse" could be that your opinion about what you saw on stage tonight is subjective. Not everyone would come away feeling as you did. It hasn't been that long since I've seen the show, and I can't imagine that it's drastically evolved into the train wreck you are describing in such a short period of time. The last time I was there it was in good shape.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

CanadianSnowbird Profile Photo
CanadianSnowbird
#18re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:56am

Get over it. Everyone dishes it out, but when it's their turn to take it they get defensive and pissy. Orangeskittles isn't the bitch of bww, there are plenty of people who make snarky comments that are unnecessary, skittles at least has points in hers.

BDrischBDemented
#19re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:35am

"I hear CHICAGO is in good shape as well."

I think a fair amount of people would disagree with that...

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

tmm_fan
#20re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:48am

After reading Anthony Rapp's book, and attending two of his readings/book signings, the notion that Rent was an extremely fun, carefree event from the get-go definitely came across. The audiences always cheering throughout the show ... during the planned sit-down performance after Jonathan's passing, the actors suddenly dancing on tables during La Vie Boheme because the energy/magic was too great ... through bad performances and great ones, Rent is still as enduring as ever.

I remember that while watching this latest tour during Seasons of Love, I suddenly had an extra strong chill come over my entire body and a truly magical almost protective-like atmosphere envelope the entire theatre; moreso than any other time in the show. It was as if Jonathan was smiling down on us, giving his approval; I actually remember looking up and smiling. Sure, other musicals have their truly emotional moments, but trust me: this was more. Something else was happening that evening.

And "that" is the true testament to Rent. And whch is also why it will be here for many, many years to come.

SAVE THE PALO ALTO BOWL!

http://www.facebook.com/fireballchase

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" -- The Beatles

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Celebrate Earth Day, every day" -- John Denver

"Don't let them mold your mind, they want to control mankind, seems like their only intention is to exploit the earth; and you trust in their deceit, your mind causes your defeat, and so you become an invention to distort this earth; propoganda and lies, is a plague in our lives, how much more victimized, before we realize (hey) ... they'll make it attractive, to get man destracted, corrupting your (soul), polluting your (soul), destroying (your soul, mind control) ... ooh grand master, let the people go, you put them in total confusion, to downs-troy their soul; for they practise what you preach, so they're always in your reach, hi-tech slavery in these days, its mind control" -- Stephen Marley
Updated On: 10/9/06 at 02:48 AM

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#21re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 6:27am

I wanted to weigh in on this thread. I saw "Rent" in NYC in July and found it to be in good shape for a show 10 years into its run. The only other time I saw it on stage was on the equity national tour back in 1998 and I've seen the movie many times. As for the songs, aren't the songs the story? "Rent" is almost entirely sung-through. For me, if the songs are well sung and convey the proper emotion, then the story is being done justice. Not meaning to start arguments. Just wanted to voice my opinion.
Updated On: 10/9/06 at 06:27 AM

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#22re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 6:50am

I've never seen the show in NYC.
I own the movie and watch it often.
My boyfriend and I saw the tour this past March. Maybe it was Febraury. I can't remember. The show was awful. The acting was terrible and I've seen better singing at my high school.

That's my $.02.

If the broadway musical is anything like what I saw on tour, OMG. I wouldn't even see it for free.

bwayondabrain
#23re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 7:12am

i personally loved the show, but the movie was bad except for Rosario Dawson
the OBC should NOT have done the film version
but im sorry to hear people do not enjoy the show, because i really think it is great. saw it in March and the cast was amazing!

yeah

Dakin Profile Photo
Dakin
#24re: Jonathan Larson wouldn't want RENT as it is today...
Posted: 10/9/06 at 8:04am

I am sure that many people felt the same about "A Chorus Line" about this time in 1986.

RENT has had its ups and downs throughout the broadway run. Regardless of any personal views, I'm glad that the show is still playing.

In another 20 years, we'll have to listen to everyone tell us how the revival of RENT can't compare to the "life changing experience" of seeing the original.

Videos