Revivals They Should Do

feinstein9 Profile Photo
feinstein9
#100re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/19/07 at 2:20am

NEW RULE: Please don't suggest shows that have closed within the past 10 years (on or off-Broadway), because it is simply too soon. Did anyone like when Les Mis was revived so soon? Also, why do shows that are done to death in regional theater? Which brings me to my next query...
What would a revival of WSS bring? Every production I see looks the same. Isn't it similar to A Chorus Line being revived? Everyone knows the music, the costumes, the score... it's just not interesting to see on Broadway when the same thing is being done all across the country. On the one hand, I'd like to see it "refreshed" but then, to what extent? The choreography would have to stay the same... but what do you guys think would be best to change? That would be interesting to think about.

I agree with a lot of the "older" shows mentioned... Although the most recent of the ones I prefer is City of Angels. I don't know how you'd top the marvelous original cast! Several of the others mentioned have been done as Encores! or Actor's Fund shows, so they're still fresh on my mind, therefore hard to think about objectively. There was a production of Kismet with BSM, and he was very very good, though I don't really like the show all that much. On the Twenteth Century was great at Actor's Fund, I think Rachel York would be brilliant. Carrie would be exciting off-Broadway. As for my own suggestions... I can't think of any, because I really just want to see/support new works... of which I wish there were more of.

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#101re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/19/07 at 10:37am

While I agree that Les Mis was revived too soon, I don't agree with what you said about West Side Story. With the right creative team you never know what could happen. Even if the costumes look similar to past productions there are other ways to rethink a show.

And I agree that there should be a Call Me Madam revival.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

p.s.
#102re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/19/07 at 10:43am

Did anyone like when Les Mis was revived so soon?

Close to 300,000 so far.

p.s. Half a million by the end of 2007.

Laura-Kate Profile Photo
Laura-Kate
#103re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/25/07 at 10:08pm

Definately Carrie - though it should be done off broadway. smaller theatre, less 80s fame vibe than the ob version. :P so different choreography.
Noises Off - brilliant play. Could get more audiences to see a play. Hysterically funny.
and (dammit I did have another one) yes! FAME. I'd love to see it on Broadway

Backstage at WMTC's "THE PRODUCERS" Sandi: "I love a man in uniform..." Laura: "Sandi... those are Nazi's..."

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#104re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:08pm

West Side Story
Angels in America
Arsenic and Old Lace
Evita

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#105re: Revivals They Should Do
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:12pm

Too many revivals are blocking up the theatres, what we need is new imaginative shows and not revivals or compilations shows, shows with real muscle and a comprehendable tale to tell, where indeed are todays talent? Revivals are an easy way to make a quick buck or so they hope!

Videos