pixeltracker

LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray- Page 6

LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray

RentBoy86
#125re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 8:43pm

I see what he's saying though, and I think is point is legit - in a very absurd way. It's not really any of the actor's faults that she can't sustain focus, I think it's more in the direction of the scenes. Elle is a main character, therefore, she needs a story arc whereas the other characters can be more "one-note" and get the one liners and the big laughs. But that said, it's not THAT hard to make a central character interesting.

Yankeefan007
#126re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 8:47pm

Personally, I think Mitchell's staging is the show's strongest point. It's like he knows that Bundy is the weakest link and has directed everyone around her to compensate. The fact that they happen to be over-compensating is what Mitchell has to tone down.

Elle is the "one-note" character in the show, with absolutely no growth (despite having loads of growth potential). It's completely Bundy's fault that she isn't the focus. She needs to give a bigger performance. Much bigger.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#127re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 8:49pm

Yankeefan, what do you mean when you say she has no growth? Is the lack of growth that you see in the book/score, or in LBB's interpretation of them?

Just curious, as always,
~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

Yankeefan007
#128re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 9:00pm

It's a combination of the book and LBB's performance, which, for some reason, has garnered so much praise.

When I think of the perfect example of "growth," my mind instantly goes to two of this season's finest performances: Christine Ebersole in Grey Gardens and Liev Schrieber in Talk Radio. They start out at a set point and, at the end, they have "matured" and changed. They've grown through-out the course of the performance.

LBB doesn't grow, she's just as shallow and self-centered as she was at the very beginning (something Reese Witherspoon perfected so much in the film: the ability to grow and change).

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#129re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:21pm

LBB says she isnt getting more to do-they think the show is good-but there is still debate to add the speach at the end. and ill tell you- she highly doubts that she'll get a tony nom. i quote "im not seasoned or worthy enough to get one"

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#130re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:34pm

She should speak up...unless this team is one where they don't want to hear it from the actors...which would probably surprise me. She's worked with Mitchell before.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#131re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:48pm

but thing is shes totally fine with not getting more-i mean shes already on the stage the whole show

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#132re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:51pm

Ha ha. That's what she said? That's new.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#133re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:53pm

May I ask how you know Ms. Bundy, or are you making this all up?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Yankeefan007
#134re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 10:56pm

I think it's quite funny that (if your association with her is indeed true) you feel some ridiculous need to report our feelings to her and her feelings to us.

We don't need you to tell us how she feels about the show or how the creative team feels about the show - that defeats the whole purpose. We know they love the damn thing.

They should come here to read what we all have to say. There's a lot of potential on that stage and it would be a shame for it to all be squandered.

Tell them to come check this thread out. Tell 'em to check out all the other threads about the show. Let them get the sense that the show isn't leaving people satisfied. There were many, MANY threads about how to improve the show.

The criticisms can only help them. Too bad if they can't take it. Updated On: 4/13/07 at 10:56 PM

LBfan292 Profile Photo
LBfan292
#135re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:04pm

I think you guys are being really hard on the show and Laura Bell Bundy. I thought the show waz great.. and Laura Bell Bundy was amazingg as Elle! She has soo much talent and i think totally deserves a tony nomination.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#136re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:11pm

Well, you may think they are being to hard on the show, but others feel their criticisms are justified. If they feel that way, so be it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#137re: LEGALLY BLONDE: Best Movie Musical since Hairspray
Posted: 4/14/07 at 1:33am

Well, some of them DO read message boards like this. But the thing is, there's so much absolute crap that gets said on boards like this (i.e. the people who've set out to hate the show since the beginning, and hijack threads for the sole purpose of finding new and improved ways to bash it), that it's hard to sort through the bashers and see which criticisms/critiques are actually made by people with unbiased viewpoints. If there are any.

And above all, there's the fact that criticisms are so subjective anyway -- I mean, look at the divided opinions about LBB, just for one thing. Some people love her, some dislike her, some barely notice her. Can you imagine being on the creative team of a show and looking through a message board like this, and trying to find consistent opinions about ANYTHING?

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

Videos