pixeltracker

LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews- Page 7

LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#150LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:14pm

At this point who even cares? It'll be gone by February and completely forgotten by March.

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#151LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:15pm

I forgot, what show were we talking about?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#152LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:16pm

Bonnie And Clyde.

Ed_Mottershead
#153LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:16pm

BTW, I have no problem with objective criticism, negative or otherwise (Whizzer is a good example of someone who's astute, presents cogent and well-thought reasons for his dissatisfaction with a show and does not resort to mudslinging). My problem is with people taking apparent delight in the misforture of a show that they didn't like. If someone wants to opine that they didn't like it for whatever reason, fine. It's when they express sadistic glee when a show doesn't work that I find it appallling.

BroadwayEd

Jordan Catalano
#154LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:20pm

Honey, this is theater. We LOVE a good flop. Go back and read reviews all the way from the 40's, they're the same as they AND WE are now. We (and I count you in this even though clutch-your-pearls you'd never admit it) all love a good train wreck and look forward to see what the next one will be. This show is not good. It doesn't even fit into the category of "passable for good" and people have fun with that. Let it be and go watch a Miss Marple.

Ed_Mottershead
#155LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:22pm

I prefer Hercule Poirot.

BroadwayEd

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#156LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:22pm

Are you talking about the Patrick Healy thing from yesterday?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#157LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:49pm

No, he's referring to the fictional Belgian protagonist in a series of detective novels by renowned mystery author Agatha Christie.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Ed_Mottershead
#158LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 1:57pm

No, it was in today's NYT. "Arts, Briefly, compiled by Dave Itzkoff.

BroadwayEd

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#159LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:00pm

Growl, be nice.

Ed, it's not online.

Ed_Mottershead
#160LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:11pm

Guess it was only in the paper version. Sorry.

BroadwayEd

Jordan Catalano
#161LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:19pm

What's a paper version?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#162LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:23pm

Typically a non-electronic version printed on a material made from wood pulp harvested from common softwood trees.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jordan Catalano
#163LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:28pm

Huh. The stuff you learn online.

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#164LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:28pm

Hey Ed,

For those of us outside of NYC, could you tell us the gist of the article? Is it just talking about its general struggles, or is there any news in there?

Thanks.

Ed_Mottershead
#165LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:52pm

RE: LJ. Article read: "New Musicals Prove Tough Sell on Broadway": Several newly-opened Broadway musicals struggled to sell tickets last week, according to box-office data, as holiday tourists and others appeared to favor long-running hits like "The Lion King" and star-driven productions like Hugh Jackman's one-man concert. The musical "Lysistrata Jones," which opened last week Wednesday to some strong reviews and stars Patti Murin, above, continued to be one of the poorest-selling musicals in recent years. It grossed only $123,750 for eight performances last week, about 15 percent of the maximum possible amount. (Most musicals need to gross about 55 percent of the maximum just to pay weekly running costs.)" That was all about LJ, then went on to discuss B&C, Godspell and Clear Day.

BroadwayEd

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#166LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:57pm

That IS the Patrick Healy thing from Monday afternoon.
Times blog, Monday December 19 2011

Ed_Mottershead
#167LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 3:16pm

Sorry. As I don't do blog anyway, this was the first that I'd heard of it. But I stand corrccted. Shut up, Jordan.

BroadwayEd

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#168LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 3:59pm

In all fairness to LJ, opening in the middle of the tourist season is always going to be tough. People have planned their vacations to NYC months in advance for this time of year. LJ wasn't on the radar then.

The awareness factor is nill and word of mouth probably hasn't had time to spread far enough.

Without a name (star, writer, anythng really) to market it's an uphill battle.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#169LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 4:10pm

Long running shows that opened during "tourist season:"

Chicago - November 14, 1996
The Lion King - November 13, 1997
Wicked - October 30, 2003
Jersey Boys - November 6, 2005
Cabaret - November 20, 1966
Man of La Mancha - November 20, 1965
Mary Poppins - November 16, 2006
Dreamgirls - December 20, 1981
The Music Man - December 19, 1957
Promises, Promises - December 1, 1968
Amadeus - December 17, 1980
Grand Hotel - November 12, 1989

All over 1,000 performances.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#170LYSISTRATA JONES Reviews
Posted: 12/21/11 at 4:27pm

I think that with ticket prices what they are now taking your family to see a show is a much more considerable investment than it was in, say, 1981.

As for the shows that you list that opened after that, there is huge name recognition for Lion King and Poppins.

And clearly I wasn't making a hard and fast case for all shows opening in winter tourist season. A case could be made for or against any of them.

But my point was that for a show like LJ that has no jukebox songs or name recognition or star performer, and only a few good notices that came out in mid-December you need something to draw audiences.

But who knows? It could have opened on October 1st to absolute raves and still tanked. Just suggesting the deck was stacked against them from the outset.

Videos