Watch and listen to my songs!

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#1Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/3/09 at 3:30pm

Shill Time!

Hey guys,

After an amazing experience this summer with William Finn, who gave me a lot of great support, advice and motivation...I have started taking my songwriting a lot more seriously. My partner and I were lucky enough to participate in a panel-discussion/ concert about up-and-coming musical theatre songwriters. Four of our songs were performed by Toronto's rising stars Sara Farb, Cameron Carver and Gabi Epstein (yup...sister of Degrassi and Spring Awakening's Jake...talented family).

I would love to hear what you BWWers have to say about the songs, since really a lot of my early encouragement was on these boards. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/TheCollabos

Akiva

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#2re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/3/09 at 3:39pm

"Walk of Shame" has far too many false rhymes. You're also getting too wordy - this could be the death of your material, if you're not careful.

Music is fine. Feels a bit rushed in general... but I don't know what the song is actually supposed to sound like. Just my personal opinion.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Link Larkin Wanabe
#2re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/3/09 at 3:46pm

Hah MusicSnob,

It is a bit rushed, but only a little. We were watching the video last night and made the same comment. Yup...wordy I am. If you've ever spoken to me in real life you'd know thats a problem not just in my songwriting. Subway Has Everything was an excersize in trying to cut back on that a bit. Thanks for the brutal honesty...You live up to your name :)

Akiva

#3re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/3/09 at 4:08pm

I'll check 'em out again when I get home (darn work internet stops & starts video) but it sounded great to me. Are you writing a whole show?
Updated On: 12/3/09 at 04:08 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe
#4re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/3/09 at 4:40pm

Joe,

Three of the songs posted (all except I Want It Now) are from The Subway Songs, a song-cycle (as the title implies, all taking place on a subway car through out the day).
Also some book musicals are in the very early stages.

Akiva

Link Larkin Wanabe
#5re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/4/09 at 7:20am

Oh ps...if anyone is interested in seeing I Want It Now in a bit more professional of a setting (with percussion, fancier piano, and a mic) I have it on my old account. Just to 2:45 minutes or so to skip the banter about me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ejof7-wveU

Akiva

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/4/09 at 8:32am

Welcome back Akiva!

So good to see you've been working on your writing. I hear tremendous growth from the stuff you shared last year.
Keep up the good work my friend!

....but the world goes 'round

Link Larkin Wanabe
#7re: Watch and listen to my songs!
Posted: 12/4/09 at 3:34pm

Thanks Taz!

When do we get to hear your stuff?

Akiva