pixeltracker

Who's going to ENRON tonight??- Page 2

Who's going to ENRON tonight??

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#25Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:32am

Let's not go nuts... I think AUGUST would've beaten any play it went up against in the last 10-15 years. But glad you liked it!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#26Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:41am

MariusPontmercy- Yes those lines are still in the opening; you did a pretty good job of quoting them! I did feel like the expository moments felt a bit like being back in lecture hall. The author almost stops the show at points to have characters explain the financial ideas that are going, usually through metaphors "we can all understand." I found it ultimately helpful, yet condescending. I wish there had been a better way for them to explain the schemes.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#27Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:48am

Personally, I loved those moments because they helped me/the uniniated understand the financial aspects of what actually went down without feeling like (at least to me, though obviously not to other people) exposition. I think placing that market-to-market explanation in the party scene of unitiated employees made it work, but that's just me.

MisterMISTER
#28Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 11:42am

I was at the first preview last night. POWERFUL theater! I admit I was expecting something so epic, but was surprised how enjoyable and exciting the entire production was with the use of dance and music. I dont know a lot of the director's work, however he is clearly a visionary. I think ENRON will be the most talked about play this season. I can't wait to hear the critics response. It is really does elevate the art of theater. Oh, and Norbert Leo Buttz is amazing. Just amazing!

allegro22
#29Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 11:54am

I was at the first preview of Enron last night.

It definitely has some tightening up to do, but man oh man is this evolutionary theatre!!!!!! The people getting sick obviously through some things off, because the show started 25 minutes late. That is why people thought it felt long!

This production is a hybrid between and play and a musical with such incredible metaphors! The main set piece is a huge screen/stock ticker that works as such a beautiful metaphor of seeing through the numbers into what actually goes on in our daily lives. It also speaks to the split personalities so many business (Skilling) and political (Clinton) and sports figures (tiger) have; showing us a different side in public than is there in private.

The style of direction is Brechtian! I have never seen it work so darn well. It is interesting because we are almost able to sympathize with these evil, but genius individuals of Enron... but we leave still hating them. ( as we should)

STRONG BUY... as they say in ENRON. This is highly intellectual theatre at its best!

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#30Who's going to ENRON tonight??
Posted: 4/9/10 at 11:55am

Ooh--I have to say, I love a divisive show. The severe love/hate reaction has me extra-curious to see it. Sounds like at the very least it won't be boring!

Horrifying about the series of health problems though. Hope all are well!