pixeltracker

Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies

Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#1Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:27pm

Just before Albin's big number at the end of the first act, while George is speaking to him through the dressing room door, the soundboard died, or so we learned when a young woman came out on stage and told everyone.

The audience was having a blast, was perfectly happy to wait, and Kelsey Grammer kept the mood light. Everyone went off stage for a few minutes, then Grammer came back and sat on the stage and started chatting, then told a joke, which went something like this:

And Italian and a Greek are debating their cultures. The Greek says, "We invented democracy." The Italian says, "We built magnificent cities." The Greek says, "What about our cuisine, our feta cheese and our phyllo dough ...." And the Italian says, "Don't even talk to me about cuisine. We Italians OWN cuisine." So the Greek says, "We invented sex." "Yes," the Italian says, "But we introduced it to women."

Hey, blame Grammer, not me.

Then at the end, after he's tamed the standing ovartion and done his Broadway Cares pitch, he says, "What happened here tonight will probably never happen again. We share it. We will be connected by it for the rest of our lives. How f-ing amazing is that?!" The abbreviation is mine; he used all the letters.

PiraguaGuy2
#2Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:43pm

Uh oh! That joke totally makes Grammer a homophobe guys!

LET'S ALL BOYCOTT THE SHOW RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Geridith Profile Photo
Geridith
#2Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 10:59pm

You left out the part where he forgot the name of Broadway Cares... that was way awkward. 0_0

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#3Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:27pm

You left out the part where he forgot the name of Broadway Cares... that was way awkward. 0_0

Oy!

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#4Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:44pm

Uh oh.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#5Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:50pm

Broadway Cares does have a pretty confusing name, I can see the confusion.

Oh and that joke totally makes him a racist too!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#6Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/25/10 at 11:52pm

THAT'S RACIST HOMOPHOBIC!!!

/and kinda racist.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

JasonM12480
#7Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 12:02am

So...like...what happened to the good old days where singers didn't have microphones, everyone wasn't amplified, and people had to actually use their voices and project over the orchestra?

I'm just sayin'....

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#8Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 4:38am

Exactly right, JasonM. At HAPPY HUNTING(1956) my father and I sat in the very last row of the balcony of the large Majestic and had no trouble hearing Ethel Merman belting "Gee But It's Good To Be Here". No sound boards back then. As a matter of fact, one of the first uses of a soundboard was for the 1968 PROMISES, PROMISES!

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Midnight Radio
#9Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 7:58am

Were they selling anything to support BC/EFA? Did they have window cards yet?

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#10Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 1:37pm

It should be added that when Grammer told the joke the audience LOVED IT! It was obvious that it was in good fun, and he was doing his best to keep them entertained. Come on, jokes throughout history are always aimed at someone. Fat jokes, blonde jokes, racial jokes...yer mama jokes.

Everyone's a little bit racist.

After his joke, and attempt to make small talk with the house,
he spoke to the stage manager asking if there was a piano that he could use. When told "no, only an electric...we will be back up in a few minutes"... he began to ask if there was a guitar he could borrow..when he was denied again..he asked for an accordion. He was bending over backwards to make sure that the audience continued to have a good time. It was witty and charming.

Once given the cue that they were back, he began to inform the audience that they were going to take it from a few lines back, to make sure they all knew what was going on. Introducing the characters by name and intention as they resumed their places. It was really quite a treat to see. Live theatre, it is what we live for!

It should be noted, you could hear him load and clear without his mic.

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

rjm516
#11Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 1:45pm

Oh that's sounds awesome!

pacificnorthwest
#12Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 2:07pm

Thanks to everyone who added to my post - - I take it some of you work at the show? I was writing very quickly on my hotel's one free computer, which others were waiting to use. So glad to see those other fun details added.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#13Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 2:43pm

I thought that joke was awfully funny. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

rjm516
#14Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:02pm

What do you mean people who added to your post? How can people do that...

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#15Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:05pm

He didn't mean it literally.

Gothampc
#16Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 3:26pm

"So...like...what happened to the good old days where singers didn't have microphones, everyone wasn't amplified, and people had to actually use their voices and project over the orchestra?"

So like what happend to the good old days where composers wrote music for strings and horns and there were no electric guitars to scream over?

And Merman is a bad example because even the deaf in Australia could hear her without a microphone.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#17Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 4:31pm

Whether or not they wanted to!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#18Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 4:57pm

Re. Ethel Merman being a bad example, touche Gothampc. That was funny.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#19Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 5:38pm

It was not a matter of not being able to hear the orchestra or the performers. There was a loud boom heard off stage left, during Grammers monologue. When he finished, Hodge walked out of the dressing room in full za-za flair and said.. "are we going on?" Grammer, and the rest of the cast did not get the word that they were not going to continue, and Hodge explained to him what was going on. While the stage manager started to explain the problem to the house, Grammer then apologized to the house and said that they should be up and running shortly. A few moments later he began his chat with the house.

It is my opinion that they paused for the actors safety. Not to mention the quality of the show. Could you imagine how many people would have complained or wanted their money back if they could not hear I Am What I Am?

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

pacificnorthwest
#20Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/26/10 at 6:04pm

RJM516... I just meant people who added details of the interesting evening at La Cage. Didn't mean added to my specific post.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#21Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/29/10 at 11:46pm

there's a video of it on La Cage's facebook page. I wonder if a crew member took the video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC91pAfd2PY

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

heathurr2 Profile Photo
heathurr2
#22Tonight at La Cage... soundboard dies
Posted: 4/30/10 at 8:50am

I was there that night. It was disappointing to lose the build-up to I am What I am, but hey some things cannot be helped. I didn't mind the halt, and the crowd didn't seem to either... it was a great audience in my opinion. Grammer apologized again at the stage door, which was super nice.
I also thought the joke was funny.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

"I think it's appropriate: iSondheim - a Sondheim for the new generation! (wailing guitar riff) Get your kids hooked early on Sondheim, so they'll grow up to be just as emotionally stilted and self-conscious as we are! - BustopherPhantom