pixeltracker

Clean version of David Mamet play?- Page 2

Clean version of David Mamet play?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:11am

I once emailed MTI about an illegally altered Les Miz school edition. I didn't see it until the very end of the run, so even if MTI read my email before it closed I'm not sure they could've stopped it. But at least I know they know about it. Heh!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jacksprat
#26Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 6/15/10 at 10:27am

An update.

I did email Samuel French at the time, never got a response.

The show has now opened. The f-word has been stripped out of the production, replaced with the less offensive "frick".

First review came out, acknowledging this, but doesn't seem all that bothered.

From the lack of interest from the publishing house, maybe we can draw from this that certain leeway is given to community theatres to adjust language of shows they are licensed to do.

Maybe I was the one over-reacting. I thought this was a bigger deal, but times are tough, and I guess even Mamet's representatives don't really care what happens to his work, as long as they can cash a check. Sad but true.

Here is the link to the show in question... and you thought I was making it up...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/06/15/532912/toned-down-mamet-is-good-for-laughs.html

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#27Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 6/15/10 at 10:34am

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that no one cares.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#28Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 6/15/10 at 11:58am

So ghostlight2 will be apologizing for their baseless, hostile accustions on the first page any minute now, right?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#29Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 6/15/10 at 12:01pm

It did sound made up. If we'd known all along it was North Carolina it might have been more believable. :)

ghostlight2
#30Clean version of David Mamet play?
Posted: 6/15/10 at 12:12pm

Sure, why not, 'skittles, with one caveat.

Re-read my posts. There was nothing hostile or baseless about them. I honestly don't understand why it is so hard to believe that I had doubt as to the veracity of 'sprats story. I still maintain it is absolutely absurd to take on Mamet if you can't handle the language. Even so, I gave him/her the benefit of the doubt, was respectful and answered all questions asked. Thanks to jacksprat for the update, and sorry for doubting you, but I think you can understand where the doubt came from.

I'll see if I can't find some ashes to put in my hair, 'skittles, if it will make you feel better, dear.

And what Phyllis said, even though Raleigh is a big theater town. I would have thought they were more enlightened about such things.

: eta "From the lack of interest from the publishing house, maybe we can draw from this that certain leeway is given to community theatres to adjust language of shows they are licensed to do. "

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I still believe it was absolutely wrong to do this, and unless they had permission, which I seriously doubt, it was illegal and reprehensible. Maybe your email fell between the cracks. It is as hard for me to believe that they don't care as it was for me to believe your story in the first place.

Updated On: 6/15/10 at 12:12 PM