Off-Broadway recommendations?

rjm516
#1Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 9:42pm

I'm going to NYC on an upcoming Sunday to take my brother (who would rather watch football than see theatre) to see a show. However, I had no idea that every single show I'm dying to see (Mormon, Catch Me, How to Succeed, Arcadia) is dark on Sundays! So, does anyone have a good off-Broadway show to recommend? Preferably something very funny?

B-maniac Profile Photo
B-maniac
#2Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 9:47pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1028853&dt=13&boardid=1

I don't think "The Book of Mormon" is dark on Sundays.

HummingAlong
#2Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:13pm

Peter and the Starcatcher is whimsical...it won't have you in stitches through and through, but it's a wonderful production! You can't miss this one!

umm also...Kathy Griffin is coming to Broadway??

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#3Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 10:37pm

Some of these shows might be dark on Sundays during previews only. I have heard of shows running Monday though Saturday during that time and then switching. So, if you can wait until they open, then you can see those shows.

That said, are you interested in straight plays? You mentioned your brother likes football, so maybe Lombardi might interest him? No idea if it would interest you.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/9/11 at 11:25pm

I second Peter and the Starcatcher.

April Saul
#5Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/10/11 at 1:00am

If you can wait until Sunday, April 3rd, he'll love you forever for taking him to Book of Mormon. But if you want to take the advice on seeing Peter and the Starcatcher, better act fast, the reviews just came out and the critics raved about it. I've heard good things about Dream of the Burning Boy at Roundabout's Black Box Theater (tix only $20) and Kin at Playwrights Horizons is supposed to be pretty good as well.

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#6Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/10/11 at 5:11am

I'll agree with Peter and The Starcatcher, especially if you're looking for a laugh.

rjm516
#7Off-Broadway recommendations?
Posted: 3/10/11 at 7:40am

Thank you all so much! I never heard of Peter and the starcatcher and now I really want to see it!

Videos