pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 70

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1725Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/19 at 11:22am

Chicago & Broadway.com launch "The Search for the Next Roxie".

https://chicagothemusical.com/roxiecasting

Didn't the London production do this awhile back?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1726Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/19 at 6:57pm

Weren't they going to do this Search for the Next Roxie like a year ago? I actually thought they dropped the idea, along with the announced 20th anniversary costume refresh.

I love the idea, but I do hope that folks of all ages get into the finals, I don't want to see a baby-faced Roxie.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1727Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/19 at 7:56pm

They're having 3 finalists for the Roxie search.  I think it's time for one of these searches.  When was that casting search for "Grease" ?  It will create buzz and interest for the show.  Maybe other shows will follow suit? 

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1728Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/9/19 at 8:02pm

https://chicagothemusical.com/roxiecasting/

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1729Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/15/19 at 1:08pm

For those who have never had the joy of a performance by Ute Lemper, this is your chance.  She will be at the York Theatre from Sept. 17-22 in a theatrical piece about her 3 hour telephone encounter with Marlene Dietrich in 1988, when Ute was 24.  I am listening to her in an interview with Julie James on Sirius XM Ch. 72.  https://yorktheatre.org/on-stage/rendezvous-with-marlene

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1730Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/16/19 at 6:52pm

Chicago The Musical In Concert   I just found out about this on Bianca Marroquin's Instagram Page.  The Dallas Symphony Orchestra is joining forces with "Chicago The Musical" for a three day event: October 4, 5 and 6, 2019.  The cast includes:  Lewis Cleale as Billy Flynn, Matthew Deming as Mary Sunshine, Tari Kelly as Velma Kelly, Bianca Marroquin as Roxie Hart and Emily Skinner as Matron Mama Morton.  I've secured my front row ticket for the Sat. Oct. 5 performance.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1731Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/19 at 9:49am

Finally revisited the show yesterday after 8 years. Scored a rush ticket earlier in the day($49 obstructed view in the orchestra). Lana is a force as Velma and really needs a long run on Broadway. Shame she only gets in the show when AFW leaves temporarily. Charlotte still has it. She's still one of the all-time best Roxies and I always prefer to see a Roxie that can dance the role. Liked seeing all the new fresh faces in the ensemble. It definitely brings some new, much needed fresh energy to the show. And without fail, having now seen the Broadway production 7 times, I always get to see Sharon Moore in the show(long-time swing). Love seeing her up on that stage, she's always giving 110%. (She was on for Rachel Schur who was on as Mama). Raymond Bokhour is great as Amos and Ryan Silverman is a nice Billy. Ironically, Raymond was Amos the last time I saw the show 8 years ago. The show is in fantastic shape and I'd highly suggest seeing it with Lana & Charlotte before AFW returns. Lana is only with the show until Oct. 13. Grab a rush ticket for $49 and treat yourself if you can.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ghostlight2
#1732Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/6/19 at 12:43pm

I have yet to see this posted anywhere but Facebook, but an original cast member of the Chicago revival posted that Bruce Anthony Davis died a couple days ago. He was in the chorus of Chicago, and performed in Big Deal. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1733Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 5:41pm

Today is Lana Gordon's last day as Velma Kelly.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1734Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 6:11pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Today is Lana Gordon's last day as Velma Kelly."

Sadness.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1735Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 8:29pm

"Forget your troubles, come on get happy."   This will have to do until she returns.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Aw80pnWpE

Updated On: 10/13/19 at 08:29 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1736Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 8:45pm

I am trying out this new picture hosting site.  It's called Postimage.org.  I had to find a new site after TinyPic got gobbled up by Photobucket.    It works.

Updated On: 10/13/19 at 08:45 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1737Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 9:13pm

ACL, by the way, today is Beth Johnson Nicely's last day with the show.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1738Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 10:13pm

I looked on You Tube for submission for the Roxie search.  This video was one of the better ones.   Be kind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGEOE6vvPUc

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1739Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/13/19 at 10:30pm

I hadn't noticed these #search for roxie videos.  Some are better than others, obviously.   One, I noticed that her leotard was so dark, that she blended too much with the black curtains.  Another one submitted a video with decent dancing ability.  You could see her legs moving, but minus the footwork.  We'll find out soon enough who are the best submissions.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1740Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/14/19 at 11:10am

Eddie Bennett is back with the show(swing) as David Bushman is off rehearsing the Asian tour cast. He came back on Sept. 20.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1741Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/14/19 at 8:45pm

One more entry from the "Search For Roxie" contest.  I liked this particular submission.  She has a good voice.  It looks like she took the time to learn the intricacies of "Hot Honey Rag".  Her name is Megan Meyer.  P.S.  Be nice.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy5-tZP5yYQ

Updated On: 10/14/19 at 08:45 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1742Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/15/19 at 9:43am

An interesting thing I noticed yesterday when walking past the theater. Lana's name was still on the cast board in the lobby. Maybe AFW isn't starting until mid-week? Thursday?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1743Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/20/19 at 10:15pm

Arian Keddell recently joined the Broadway company of "Chicago" as Mona (replacing Beth Johnson Nicely) on Oct. 14, 2019.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1744Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/21/19 at 6:38pm

from the current production in Mexico.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswuxo1f13g

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1745Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:36pm

http://www.playbill.com/production/chicago   The newest Cellblock Tour begins in February 2020 in Alaska.  Brrrr.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1746Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/30/19 at 6:56am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/GYPSY-OF-THE-MONTH-CHICAGOs-Donna-Marie-Asbury-20111117   Happy Birthday to Donna Marie Asbury.  She was born as Donna Marie Elio on October 30, 1962.  The above interview is from 2011.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1747Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/30/19 at 2:01pm

Updated On: 10/30/19 at 02:01 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1748Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/30/19 at 8:15pm

Recently, Mary Claire King  (Liz, Velma Kelly u/s) took over the Chicago the Musical Instagram account.  She posted content on what a 2 show day looks like for her.  At the same time, she also accepted questions. This is the question that I asked her:  What would be the first thing to do if you had to go on as Velma, unexpectedly?  Her response was:  "Oooh, great question. 1.  Steam my voice while thinking about my lines and my blocking.  2.  Warm up vocally.  3.  Time pending:  run my blocking for (All That) Jazz onstage.  4.  Review my cheat sheet of entrances and exits.  I sometimes wondered what happened in this type of situation.  Miss King was gracious to give us a glimpse of what might happen when an understudy (unexpectedly) goes on as one of the leads.  Thank you to Miss King and Chicago the Musical for allowing this brief question and answer  In a bit of casting news:  Brian Spitulnik returns as a swing in the Broadway production (Playbill Vault / official site).

Updated On: 10/30/19 at 08:15 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1749Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/30/19 at 8:18pm

Alas, I will not be seeing the Broadway production this year, as I'm going on a short trip to SF this coming November.  However, I hope to see the show in NYC, sometime in June...when the temperatures are warm.  

Videos