HIGH last night

BroadwayBen
#1HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 1:45pm

This was so much better than I thought it would be. It's not a play for the ages, but its pretty interesting and Turner is really strong in her part. The kid (sorry, don't remember name) is a real star, and the priest was fine. Having had (too) many friends in recovery, I found some of it really accurate.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 1:55pm

Phenomenal acting by the kid. Turner is great. The play is a real surprise. I hope I lasts through the Tonys.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

BroadwayBen
#2HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 2:02pm

I agree. I wasn't sure if anyone was upstairs. Hopefully sales will pick up.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 2:04pm

I don't normally ask this but did anyone stagedoor? I'm wondering if Miss Turner would sign a movie poster I've had for 25 years and always wanted to get signed. Not sure how she is about that kind of stuff, though or if the crowd was so big it would make that impossible.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 2:19pm

Jordan, if you feel weird about stagedooring, send it to her via mail. I sent Jane Fonda a heartfelt letter and some stuff I wanted signed and she sent it all back with a nice note.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 2:37pm

I've worked with her before and she is a doll. Another option is to drop it off at the stage door, with a note asking her to sign it, and that you will pick it up from the stage door in a few days.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Ed_Mottershead
#6HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 3:01pm

Saw it last night -- very pleasantly surprised and Evan Jonigkeit is a real find -- he acts the hell out of it. There was a lot of food for thought in this and the play moved quickly and well. However, there wasn't much of an audience -- hope people aren't being deterred by Isherwood's review. And outside the stage door, I think I counted about 8 people. I spoke with someone who'd seen it the night before and he notd that Turner was extremely gracious, spoke with everyone, signed and the whole deal. This is a worthy piece of theatre and I encourage anyone who likes serious drama to go.

BroadwayEd

ghostlight2
#7HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 3:04pm

I don't think as much of the play itself as some do, but it is a very nice ensemble, and is visually quite beautiful. The priest, btw, is portrayed by Stephen Kunken.

Both Bettyboy and Capn have good ideas, Jordan, but since you're local, and I imagine you want to meet her, I'd split the difference. Leave a note well before the show, telling her you're attending and would like to meet her after, mentioning you'd like a poster signed. I've found she runs very hot and cold. At least this way she expects to see you. The stagedoor crowd hasn't been too bad. She doesn't pull the crowds in the way she used to.

earlier thread on the 1st preview Updated On: 3/27/11 at 03:04 PM

thismyshow
#8HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 6:11pm

saw the matinee orchestra was packed mezz looked about 1/3 full, absolutely great will not be surprised if it wins best play... also although she dosnt take photos (bummer but i respect her decision) kathleen is very nice and totally will sign whatever (including her book)

Sharon M
#9HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 10:19pm

I too was pleasantly surprised at "High". My expectations were running pretty low for two reasons...1) I saw the play in Hartford and 2) I wasn't a huge fan of "Looped". However a friend had an extra seat today and I figured it was worth seeing if they had done any work on the play.

While I still don't think the play is perfect...it is greatly improved from my first exposure. The majority of those changes seem to fall at Mr. Kunken's feet and I have to say, to me he is the MVP of the production. It's perhaps the least showy of the roles, but it is the pivotal catalyst and I continue to find Mr. Kunken to be the most compelling and honest actor in whatever show he does. He reminds me (don't know why) of a younger Boyd Gaines.

I have to admit that while I wasn't sorry to see the nudity...it seemed pretty ungrounded and gratuitous. The final scene in the show is greatly improved from the original version as are Ms. Turner's monologues.

Ms. Turner and Mr. Jonagkeit are both giving fine performances, but they are tending to be too BIG for my taste and sometimes strain against the intimate boundaries of the play. That being said, I think the ensemble work is excellent and it's thrilling to watch three excellent actors at play.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#10HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 10:27pm

Ungrounded, gratuitous male nudity is exactly what I want out of this show. Hopefully this helps Brantley pull out a rave (among other things), so I can see the show in July.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/27/11 at 10:27 PM

April Saul
#11HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 10:35pm

Add me to the list of people who were surprised at how much they enjoyed this! I'd read the review from Hartford and was thinking this was the one to skip this season, and I couldn't be more wrong.

Got rush seats with my 20-year old son--see the rush thread, it's a pretty strange policy but it worked well for us today--and we both found it really intense and well worth a visit. Turner was terrific and Jonagkeit was particularly powerful as the young addict. I really hope it does well...it might be a tough sell this season and might be one of those shows that would've been better off in a smaller house like the Hayes.

ghostlight2
#12HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:17pm

I found it lurid and over the top, and thought that the original version in Hartford was better than this one, though it too was flawed. Agree the nudity is gratuitous, and seemingly only exists for the shock value.

Nice ensemble though, great sets and lighting.

jbm2
#13HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:22pm

so..should I see this? Kin? or Blue Leaves?

ghostlight2
#14HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:29pm

If you're a big fan of Turner's, see this. If you're not, Kin, or Blue Leaves. In that order.

bwayfan7000
#15HIGH last night
Posted: 3/27/11 at 11:30pm

What is Kin?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

April Saul
#16HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:10am

Kin is a very good off-Broadway play currently at Playwrights Horizons. Do a search on this board or on All That Chat or google reviews (I think the NY Times made it a Critic's Pick). There's lots of good off-Broadway stuff right now; Peter and the Starcatcher, The Other Place, and The Whipping Man are all excellent. And MUCH cheaper, btw....

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#17HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:13am

I might also recomment "Hello Again" by Transport Theatre Group. A cast of Broadway vets in an intimate performance. It closes 4/10.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

jbm2
#18HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:18am

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Hello Again.... but I am not in town until the 17th... you think there is any chance they will extend again?

April Saul
#19HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:18am

Yes, Hello, Again is good as well, but only if you're open to a very different kind of performance. You're sitting at tables while a cast performs songs all around you having to do with love and sex. I did enjoy it, but it's not a very traditional kind of theater experience. And hey, if you REALLY want a wild theater experience, there's Sleep No More, with crazy characters performing various scenes from Macbeth in a kind of haunted house! But there are threads about all these shows up here if you search for them...

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:22am

"Hello Again" extended once-hopefully they will again.

April Saul
#21HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:25am

Another note on Hello, Again: if they do extend and you're on a budget, e-mail the Transport Group to ask if you can volunteer usher. I tried to do a ticket exchange and they said they couldn't help me, but that I was welcome to usher...so I did, and saw the show as well!

jbm2
#22HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 12:29am

So....I have a ticket to see Meet Vera Spark, should I get rid of it and go see KIN instead?

thismyshow
#23HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 1:41am

^ getting off topic,

SPOILERS

also i dont feel the nudity is gratuitous i think it shows both the insanity and breakdown of cody as he gets high and his vulnerability

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#24HIGH last night
Posted: 3/28/11 at 9:33am

After a matinee of the very satisfying and emotional Warhorse, I was exhausted going into the evening performance of HIGH. I went in cold knowing nothing about the plot and I have to admit, I enjoyed the production. Fatigue nagged at me during the first act. Thank God for the gratuitous nudity! I was also very happy to enjoy Kathleen Turner after being so disappointed in her portrayal in The Third Story.