RIP Arthur Laurents

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#150RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/26/11 at 9:58pm

Just found a copy of Arthur's book from '09 "Mainly on Directing" at the rapidly dwindling Borders here. He finally devotes a whole chapter to "La Cage" called "Smoke and Mirrors". To hear him tell it, it was quite the lovefest when he, Jerry Herman and Harvey Fierstein started work on the show, and continued as a lovefest throughout the rehearsal period, the Boston tryout and into New York. Funny, if his dealings with Harvey are what he called a lovefest, I'd hate to have seen what he called a bitchier environment. Be curious to hear Harvey's recollections one day in a memoir.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#151RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/26/11 at 11:08pm

Apparently, there will be no memorial.

At Arthur's request.

No big event at some Broadway theater where people pretend to be sad and respectful, all the while delivering barbed eulogies they've been practicing in the shower for years:

"Arthur and I were the best of friends for many years until one day when..."

"Blah-blah-blah GypsyWestSide. Blah-blah-blah WayWeWereTurningPoint. Blah-blah-blah HomeoftheBraveRopeSnakePit. Blah. Blah. Blah."

"And then there the time that Arthur said such-and-such about so-and-so...!"

"Hello, everybody. This is Mrs. Mary Rodgers Guettel..."

It's a downright shame.

Updated On: 5/26/11 at 11:08 PM

FindingNamo
#152RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/26/11 at 11:26pm

BCEFA should do an Irish Wake for Arthur Laurents Benefit. Have Tony Perkins t-shirts for sale. It'd be boffo.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#153RIP Arthur Laurents
Posted: 5/26/11 at 11:50pm

I would have killed to have went to his memorial. Too bad there won't be any. Thanks for the info PJ.