News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Spring Awakening Amateur rights?

Spring Awakening Amateur rights?

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#1Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/13/11 at 5:27pm

Does anyone know when MTI will release the rights? Right now they are just restricted.

dumbosbigears
#2Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/13/11 at 6:26pm

Well the Second National Tour is ending on Sunday, so it shouldn't be long now. Amateur rights for a show are only available when there is not a large professional production (i.e. Broadway, off-Broadway, National tours, etc.) going on.

There are no plans for another national tour so the rights are going to be released really soon.

Mattt Profile Photo
Mattt
#2Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 11:36am

They have already been giving out the rights. The first non professional production will be in New Jersey in August. I know of productions of the show that will be going on all the way up to next Spring.

lizliz
#3Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 1:25pm

Actually, there are 4 US amateur productions that will go up before the one in Asbury Park, NJ -- MTI has a list of upcoming productions here: http://www.mtishowspace.com/pg/production/278/show

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#4Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/14/11 at 6:06pm

I'm just waiting for the high schools to start performing this one. Spring Awakening Amateur rights?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 11:35am

Sorry Dumbo you are mistaken. They will only restrict performances if the tour is going to be within a certain distance to your produciton within a certain time frame. Although under most circumstances, they won't release amatuer rights until the FIRST Nat'l tour is over. (assuming that the original run is no longer on b'way.)

About 10 years ago, my HS was granted the rights to Grease and had them pulled because a tour would have been coming to Boston around the same time.

If timing were different, or they were only going to Providence, nothing would have changed. Case in point, a few years later, we did Les Miz (among some of the first HS to do so.) and only a few weeks before our date a tour was in Providence.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#6Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 1:02pm

Yay! Then maybe we can finally see a production where Moritz and Wendla don't die!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

husk_charmer
#7Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 4:42pm

dramamama took the words out of my mouth.

We got screwed out of doing Into the Woods in High School, b/c the 02 revival was supposed to launch it's tour in Dallas...and then didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

MichaelRhodus Profile Photo
MichaelRhodus
#8Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 5:03pm

Happened to us with Hairspray. I would guess that Spring Awakening will be available within another year or so.

bwayfan7000
#9Spring Awakening Amateur rights?
Posted: 5/15/11 at 5:17pm

Based on the one place in my state that is doing it already, it's only going to the highest-caliber local theatres that typically get the rights to shows first.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos