The Engineer-Final Bow?

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#1The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 4:47pm

I saw a production of Miss Saigon at the Walnut Street Theater in Philly yesterday, and The Engineer got the final bow at the curtain call. Would he really be considered the lead? I felt that he was a featured character.

Has he always gotten the final bow, ESPECIALLY after Kim?

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#2The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 5:51pm

Miss Saigon is clearly Kim's story and she is clearly the main character. But in the original production, Jonathan Pryce was already a Tony and Olivier-winning actor and Lea Salonga was an unknown. I believe that Pryce got the last bow in the original production, and it's been perpetuated ever since.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

eatlasagna
#2The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 6:07pm

when Lea Salonga returned to the show she got the final bow

when I saw a regional production here in San Diego, Kim got the final bow but The Engineer got the third to last... so it went Thuy, Ellen, John, The Engineer, Chris and Kim... it was also one of the worst production of Miss Saigon I ever saw!

vinnylin Profile Photo
vinnylin
#3The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 6:51pm

I could be remembering it wrong but I think Lea got the last bow even toward the end of her original Broadway run (after Pryce left).

There's a plausible argument that The Engineer should be considered a featured role, but Pryce was considered leading and that's the category in which he won the Tony. Both Willy Falk, who played Chris, and Hinton Battle, who played John, were considered in the featured category that year.

"This is wanting something, this is reaching for it, This is wishing that a moment would arrive. This is taking chances, this is almost touching, what the beauty is." --The Light in the Piazza

eatlasagna
#4The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 7:43pm

I would consider the Engineer leading if only because the guy has more songs and stage time then Chris... he's also the catalyst that brings everyone together and kinda moves the action forward

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#5The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/13/11 at 8:51pm

Very interesting, thanks!

Now am I crazy, but wouldn't "You Will Not Touch Him/Thuy's Death" make the perfect act break instead of the actual one?

eatlasagna
#6The Engineer-Final Bow?
Posted: 6/14/11 at 12:44am

funny you should say that.. for the longest time i thought that sequence of You Will Not Touch Him/Thuy's Death was the Act I finale! i first bought the OLC recording on casette tape but for some reason they only sold the first cassette and it ended with This Is The Hour and it wasn't until years later that I ended up finally getting the 2nd cassette and i realized it wasn't! haha