News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for vinnylin

vinnylin Profile Photo
Member Name: vinnylin
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

When was the last time a Broadway star became a film star?  Apr 25 2013, 01:57:51 PM
How about Kevin Kline? I think he bagged a couple Tonys prior to starring in Sophie's Choice.
Worst Chemistry  Jul 17 2012, 02:03:32 PM
Hugh Jackman and Jarrod Emick in the Boy from Oz. Their scenes together were SO uncomfortable....
Tony Win for Actress/Actor 4 Non Nominated Musical  Aug 29 2011, 10:43:26 AM
Martin Short for Little Me
Angela Lansbury for Dear World

The Engineer-Final Bow?  Jun 13 2011, 06:51:16 PM
I could be remembering it wrong but I think Lea got the last bow even toward the end of her original Broadway run (after Pryce left).

There's a plausible argument that The Engineer should be considered a featured role, but Pryce was considered leading and that's the category in which he won the Tony. Both Willy Falk, who played Chris, and Hinton Battle, who played John, were considered in the featured category that year.

Grade the Tony performances  Jun 13 2011, 06:39:13 PM
Opening Number: B+. The in-audience cameos didn't work at all, but the song was edgy and NPH performed it well.

Book of Mormon: A+. The best performance of the night. It was a great choice of song, and was funny and warm. I didn't miss the ensemble at all. I think I enjoyed the number more on TV than I did in the theatre.

Catch Me If You Can: C+. This is a great number in the theatre, but it felt out of context here. I don't think it was performed badly, but I also don

New York Magazine Panel: Pick the Greatest Musical  Jan 11 2011, 11:11:38 AM
Thanks for sharing this link - what a fun read!
A Free Man of Color Reviews  Nov 22 2010, 10:12:40 AM
Maybe it was low expectations, but I saw this on Friday night and did not think it was nearly as bad as the word of mouth and reviews. A LOT of people left at intermission, but I actually enjoyed it, even the first act which does seem all over the place, but which makes more sense (or at least did to me) after the second act.

If you do go, I would highly recommend you pick up the Lincoln Center booklet on the show (the ones available on the racks throughout the theatre for $1 donation)

the actor you have seen the most in  Jun 30 2010, 12:46:16 PM
This is fun! Here is what I could think of. I have included times seeing actors in different productions, though I am sure I saw at least some of these performances multiple times.

Brian d'Arcy James (7): Time Stands Still, Shrek, Next to Normal, The Apple Tree, Port Authority, The Lt. of Inishmore, Titanic

Nathan Lane (7): Waiting for Godot, Butley, November, The Frogs, The Producers, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Guys & Dolls

Raul E

The Last 6 Years Tonys!  Jun 28 2010, 04:12:21 PM
In case it affects anyone's votes, the two director categories currently list only five winners. If I'm not mistaken, the missing directors are:

Musical: John Doyle, Sweeney Todd

Play: Doug Hughes, Doubt

Happy voting!

The Past 5 Tony Awards Voting Thread  Jun 23 2010, 10:15:25 AM
BEST PLAY
The Coast of Utopia

BEST MUSICAL
Billy Elliot

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
The Norman Conquests

BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
South Pacific

2010 Tony Award Voting Thread  Jun 11 2010, 01:19:32 PM
BEST MUSICAL

American Idiot

BEST PLAY

Red

La Cage aux Folles

BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY

Fences

BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL

Fela!, Jim Lewis and Bill T. Jones

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (MUSIC AND/OR LYRICS) WRITTEN FOR THE THEATER

Memphis, Music: David Bryan, Lyrics: Joe DiPietro and David Bryan

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY

Denzel Washington

The Best Flop you've seen  Jun 7 2010, 01:50:35 PM
The Doyle "Company" Revival.
Next to Normal seating  Apr 21 2010, 06:27:00 PM
I totally agree with Elphaba3, you should sit as close as you can for this show; it really heightens your involvement in the story. Row B center is wonderful. You might have to strain slightly to see Gabe on the top tier, but that's not very often. And you won't regret it one bit when you're that close for "You Don't Know/I Am The One". Go for it.
re: Who Do You Wish You Could Sound Like?  Oct 15 2009, 12:15:19 PM
Larry Kert.
re: Riedel on BIRDIE, Gershon and the one they call 'Corky Sinclair'  Oct 8 2009, 02:40:45 PM
I saw Reinking and thought that her voice was quite rough and that she did not pull it off vocally. That said, I also thought the entire Tune production was a mess, and she was the least of its problems. She did of course dance beautifully.
re: Dolly speaks about 9 to 5 closing  Aug 12 2009, 02:07:17 PM

re: The Last 5 Year Tonys!  Jun 17 2009, 07:21:22 PM
BEST MUSICAL
Spring Awakening

South Pacific

BEST DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
Stephen Daldry, Billy Elliot

BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Paulo Szot, South Pacific

BEST LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Victoria Clark, The Light in the Piazza

BEST FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
John J. Gallagher, Jr., Spring Awakening

BEST FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Laura Benanti, Gypsy

BEST BOO

re: The Last 5 Year Tonys!  Jun 17 2009, 07:14:34 PM
Great idea!

In case it affects anyone's selections, the original post is missing two Tony Award-winning directors (only 4 were listed):

Musical: John Doyle, Sweeney Todd (2006)
Play: Doug Hughes, Doubt (2005)

re: NEXT FALL at Playwrights Horizons - GO SEE THIS PLAY!  Jun 12 2009, 01:35:13 PM
The only code I've seen is on Broadwaybox, and it'll save you a whopping $5.

I caught this last weekend, and I have to say, it is really quite wonderful, thought-provoking and moving. Very well acted and directed, but it is the script that really shines. The comedy and drama blend seamlessly. Regardless of what you may think about the premise, there is nothing cliche in the play's execution.

re: The Greatest Musical Actor of This Generation - Qualifiers  Apr 30 2009, 06:05:47 PM
Raul Esparza - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Gavin Creel- 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Brian D'Arcy James - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Norbert Leo Butz - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Michael Cerveris - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Alan Cumming - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Hunter Foster- 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Marc Kudisch- 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Neil Patrick Harris - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Norm Lewis - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Cheyenne Jackson - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Hugh Jackman - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
Jonathon Groff - 4 (DO NOT VOTE)
John Galla

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You