the old Ziegfeld Theatre

rahack
#1the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 1:44pm

Does anyone remember attending either Anya or Foxy at the old Ziegfeld.Can you share your memories of those shows or the interior of that magnificent theater?

Ed_Mottershead
#2the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 2:28pm

I didn't see Foxy or Anya, but Maurice Chevalier did a one-man show back in the early 60's which I saw. We were sitting in the upper reaches of the auditorium but the setting and lobby were magnificent, if a little bit faded by that time. I can understand why it had a relatively short life span (1927-1965) -- it was a bit of a trek to get there, it was not in the theatre district hot bed, it was huge and by the 60s was sort of a white elephant. And I doubt that the shows that were done after 1953 (Kismet) made any kind of megabucks. It was just too much, too late, too much of a totally different Broadway environment to last. More's the pity, because the auditorium was gorgeous and unique -- continuing murals (depicting Arabian Nights sort of images) covered the walls and ceiling of the auditorium -- even the doors at the sides of the stage. The colors were gold, muted reds and oranges.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 6/21/11 at 02:28 PM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#2the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 2:36pm

the old Ziegfeld Theatre

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#3the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 3:20pm

I never had the opportunity to see a show at the Ziegfeld (located on 6th Avenue and 55th Street, I believe). There were photos of the interior in, of all things, our 1940 Encylopedia Britainnica. They showed a gorgeous theatre with very elaborate wall and ceiling paintings covering every inch of the theatre.Florenz Ziegfeld's office was at the very top. I think that the Ziegfeld produced masterpiece SHOWBOAT premiered at this house.

On a side note, Bert Lahr of FOXY which played the Ziegfeld in the mid 1960's was walking along 7th Avenue when I was driving by in my wreck of a Ford, with my broken muffler causing a racket. Lahr turned and gave me a very dirty look.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

junkyard
#4the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 3:22pm

saw FOXY with Bert Lahr......not a great show......I miss the theatre......it would be a gem if in operation these days....

After Eight
#5the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/21/11 at 8:09pm

I saw both Anya and Foxy.

Anya was an old-fashioned operetta, very old and not vary well fashioned. It was as hokey as all get out, but engaging in its own way. I mean, what other shows can boast songs like "Vodka, Vodka," or Lillian Gish speaking the unforgettable "Little Hands?" And it had the incomparable Irra Petina. In spite of its deficiencies, I would take Anya any day over this year's crop (or should I say crap) of musicals.

Foxy was great fun, and should have run longer. Bert Lahr was a riot, and Larry Blyden also good. The score was loud and catchy, the dancing had a lot of gusto. I had a great time at Foxy.

My memories of the theatre itself, unfortunately are not that vivid. It certainly looked huge.

But to tear down a landmark like that.... It's sad.

Jon
#6the old Ziegfeld Theatre
Posted: 6/22/11 at 10:35am

...and of course, Robin Wagner's design for the facade of the "Zangler Theatre" in CRAZY FOR YOU was based on the Zeigfeld.

Videos