#100JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 5:37pm

It's my (informed) opinion.

What makes you lust after them so much?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#101JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 6:09pm

I don't lust after them. What makes you so personally bitter about them? How did you come to know the professional history of every regional critic in the country? Unless...you don't actually know that! Or else you wouldn't have made such a ridiculous statement. You must be a worthless failure undeserving of respect.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

FindingNamo
#102JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 6:27pm

"Ironically, my first same sex experience was with a guy named Jesus. Pretty ironic for a good catholic boy growing up in the 70s and 80s."

How is that ironic?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#103JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 6:50pm

Is there a more correct term? I thought it was ironic.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

FindingNamo
#104JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 6:53pm

Maybe something like, "Speaking of a serviceable Jesus, it was scandalous to this Catholic boy to lose his maidenhood to a man with that name," or something like that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#105JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 7:02pm

Just in reply to out-of-town critics or the board, I think it's def. a case of out-of-town critics. You have to realize that most regional critics typically praise each production because they want to help tickets sales at that theater, or else they're out of a job. I've seen many horrible regional shows where every actor has been praised, etc. However, the reason for this show transferring wasn't the critics praise, if that was the case, most shows would transfer. It's the fact that Webber and his team praised the production, and the Dodgers have deep pockets and saw an opening in a pretty weak season.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#106JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/6/12 at 7:19pm

You do make it sound much better, Namo....thanks for getting my back.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#107JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 9:26am

Maybe we could turn this thread away from little Matt's seemingly personal rancor about me and back to the show.

I admit that I'm not much of a fan, but this production is almost incomprehensible. It's also so loud they should sell earplugs at the merch booth. It sounds so heavy on the synth and processing, it could be a click-track for all I could tell.

Josh Young as Judas can't dance or act; he can sing a little, but he has definite problems with some of the score. Paul Nolan as Jesus has amazing high notes, but is creepy like a cult leader (which may or may not be what you seek in a portrayal of Jesus). The songs were met with silence (although much of the audience stood [slowly] for the call); Simon Zealotes's song gets the biggest hand of the night, although it's rather unclear who he is (the same holds for Pilate's Dream - if you don't know the show, it's very possible you have no idea who this old man is strolling out and singing some mush about a dream...). Marcus Nance has a great voice as Caiaphas, but from the way he stares at his feet as he descends stairs, I suspect he's from the opera world, not the theatre. I suppose I ought to have some idea who any of these people are, but Tom Hewett (a somewhat bilious Pilate) and Jeremy Kushnier (invisible in the ensemble) were the only familiar names to me.

The choreography is unintentionally funny much of the time, particularly in the Temple (brothel?) scene. When the choreography should be funny (Herod's Song) it's not. For some strange reason, almost everyone carries a messenger bag.

Overall, it felt like a quickly-thrown-together semi-professional production brought in to fill a lacklustre season.

Updated On: 3/7/12 at 09:26 AM

Mister Matt
#108JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 10:21am

*rolls eyes*

Maybe we could turn this thread away from little newintown's seemingly personal rancor about regional critics and back to the show.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#109JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 10:23am

Poor little Matt - did you wake up still cranky?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#110JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 10:33am

newintown, what did you think of Chilina Kennedy?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#111JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 10:38am

It's a hard role to sing, with the typical Lloyd Webber ignorance of the human voice. She gets the high notes, but has trouble with the low notes in "Everything's Alright."

No one in this production seems to be much of an actor, Kennedy included - she plays Mary as sort of an ultra-clingy, hard-edged Squeaky Fromme (which, again, may or may not be what one thinks is a good choice). The whole Jesus group are really as creepy as the priests in this production, very Manson Family-ish.

Mister Matt
#112JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 11:00am

Oh newintown, just admit you were being hyperbolic and that you don't know everything about every critic in the country. There are some out there who actually wanted to be theatre critics. They studied and pursued it as a career. And not being respected by YOU doesn't make them failures or their work worthless or that they don't deserve respect. That is what makes you sound like a bitter revolting Tea Party douchebag. Dismissing an entire group and making assumptions on their careers and characters based on...what? Do you also believe all waiters are worthless failures who couldn't get acting jobs? Might as well get all out your derogatory remarks since you got the ball rolling.

Of course, admitting that would be an adult and mature thing for you to do, so I won't hold my breath.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#113JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 11:16am

Matt, sweetie baby kittycat - seriously, you need a Xanax. Everyone gets it - you disagree with me. You've made it clear. Now have a nice glass of water and calm down.

Updated On: 3/7/12 at 11:16 AM

massofmen
#114JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 11:46am

with the massive disappointment on this thread towards this production i wonder if the NYC reviewers will share the sentiment of the out of town reviewers or the majority of this board. This still blows my mind how "wrong" these stratford and la Jolla reviewers could have been.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#115JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 11:54am

I don't know if "wrong" is the "right" word - if you like JCS, you may like this production. As I said, I'm not a fan of the piece itself. I find it inert and pose-heavy. Lloyd Webber has made it clear in his career that he's not particularly interested in complex stories or text of any kind. He operates on the surface only, and has many like-minded admirers.

massofmen
#116JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:02pm

i wasn't speaking directly to you.

Mister Matt
#117JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:03pm

"everyone gets it" = delusional

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#118JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:04pm

"i wasn't speaking directly to you."

I understood that, but I was replying to you.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#119JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:05pm

And Matt, you've got some serious issues going on...

massofmen
#120JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:09pm

oH! my apologies NEWINTOWN i thought you said "i don't know if I said "wrong"" so sorry.

Mister Matt
#121JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 12:38pm

newintown, you seriously need an attitude check.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#122JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:08pm

Matt, you've got to stop self-medicating; your 37 cats are getting concerned...

Mister Matt
#123JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:15pm

You're going to pull a hamstring jumping to so many conclusions. But thank you for proving my point about your ill-informed assumptions.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#124JCS Previews Thread
Posted: 3/7/12 at 1:23pm

This is like playing charades with a Pet Rock...