pixeltracker

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews- Page 6

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews

ArtMan
#125Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 7:00pm

Has anyone who has already seen the show, received their promotional bag which was made available for presales? Whats it like? If I remember correctly it had a $100 value.

costumediva
#126Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 9:07pm

The bag is very nice. It is an army green canvas messenger bag with the Newsies logo and opening night date pprinted on the front.

ArtMan
#127Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 9:22pm

Thanks for the info, Costumediva.

Trish2
#128Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/28/12 at 11:55pm

Wow, thank goodness I scored a TKTS ticket for this tonight. After all the hoopla i guess i was expecting something more thrilling.I mean those dancers work their butts off, but it's all so blatantly in your face. I can't recall a show of late that works so hard for you to enjoy it. Not my cup of tea, but it certainly was for those ridiculous kids screaming after every number. Is this what Broadway has come to? I recall Broadway being a place where you'd come to see something special that you couldn't see anywhere else.

notabb
#129Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 10:48am

God Trisha , remove that stick from your ass. For a lot of people , many on this board , the show is a lot of fun. I think for kids who haven't seen much it would come off as amazing. MAME was the first musical I every saw on Broadway at 13. I thought it was perfect. Perfect , start to finish. Would I think it perfect now after seeing a lot of theater , probably not , but it helped me to love live theater and come back. To see kids at HOW TO SUCCEED and NEWSIES get carried away by what their seeing is wonderful. NEWSIES not for you , fine. Please tell all your friends not to go. And what planet do you live on? Broadway has always been a place for theater , some special , some not. So sad when someone isn't content to say they don't like something and have to trash the people that do.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#130Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 10:54am

Definition of a CULT FOLLOWING FOR A FILM is that it is a box office flop, and outsells itself on home video format, becoming a sucess....Harry Potter and Star Wars do have cult followings but are not classified as cult films. This is because the films were massive hits, and cult films as the term implies are underground minorities. There is a differece between an cult film and a film that has a cult following.

On another note I saw the final preview last night and I would
agree the musical is no musical messiah, but its cheorography most certainly was. When Sieze the Day's dance break began, West Side Story immediatly popped into my head because unlike most shows where they just star dancing, the cheorographer did something amazing in that he took started with a march and slowly but surly augmeted a simple march into a fullfledged dance break. The Tony ans likly the astair has his name being written on it as I type.

Harvey's but was a joke a minute most of which didn't land, and i felt bad for the cast becauase it wasnt till Sieze the Day that the Audience finally warmed up, but when they did they were like kids in a candystore. Harvey will likly get a tony nom, but they way this seasons books are going and being torn apart, I think Douglas Carter Bean has a good shot of winning for LJ. The only other competition is possibly Joe DiPietro who as most of us know will likly be torn apart, along with the rest of the creatives for Nice Work, with everyone asking why didnt you just revive Crazy For You, rather than making a carbon copy of it.

On another note I feel horrible for Kara Lindsay becauase I saw her understudy who was great. The reason I am saying this is because last night was press nIght and its her Broadway debut, so she aIn' getting reviewed in what would have likly been a star turn. I know all the tony nominators/voters will have seen her and she won't get nominated because it is such a strong female performance season with Follies, Bess, and Evita, but thats why it sucks she wont get reviewed because she would have likly gotten some nice reviews to put on her resume.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#131Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 11:06am

I recall Broadway being a place where you'd come to see something special that you couldn't see anywhere else.

I don't think Broadway has "come to" anything. Broadway has always had shows that have not impressed some people and received enthusiasm from others. I'm sure every single season in Broadway history has contained one or more musicals that you may not have deemed "something special".

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#132Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 11:14am

bdn223, the critics are spread throughout the end of the preview proccess. Very few of the major ones are likely to have come to last night's performance, since they've all been already (Ben Brantley, for one, came last week.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#133Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 1:04pm

Surely the whole point of theatre is to be diverse? For some pieces to be a challenging and thought provoking night out and others to be a bit of fun and fluff. I've never heard of a single production where everyone I know who's seen it unanimously loves it and that's the joy.
I was never really a big fan of the film. It never took off in the UK the same way but I saw the show a few days ago and yes, admittedly, it didn't challenge or thought provoke really,(not beyond the thoughts I had about Jeremy Jordan anyway!)but it was a really fun night out and for me that was enough. To see a bunch of really talented performers just get up there and have a ball. I went to see Death of A Salesman the Next night for my dose of deep and meaningful.
Also it seemed like the audience was full of youngsters(I sound so old, I'm only 29!), excitable ones at that, and at least for some I spoke to it was their first time in a theatre ever. Great. If it encourages the kids into musical theatre wonderful. If excitable teenagers bothers you, go when they're at school.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#134Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 2:01pm

Laurie is a real close friend of mine and went on as Katharine last night. Anything catch the show? I'm dying to know how she did!!!

The Pud
#135Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 3:27pm

About what time do reviews start coming in. Newsies should be over at 8:30 or 9:00 depending on whether or not it starts on time.

The Pud
#136Disney's NEWSIES -DANCE:10 ; LOOKS: 3
Posted: 3/29/12 at 3:49pm

I especially like this quote...

"I spoke to several theater insiders yesterday, and all agreed that the race for Best Musical seems to be shaping up as a battle between “Newsies” and “Once,” which is based on that cute movie about a couple of scruffy buskers in Dublin named — ick! — Guy and Girl. If that turns out to be the case, then “Newsies” will win in a cake walk."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/good_newsies_for_disney_Q7lhr9waRh7yZvWQq9hOfK#ixzz1qXNfyitK

Updated On: 3/29/12 at 03:49 PM