pixeltracker

February House -- early reports?

February House -- early reports?

whatever2
#1February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/9/12 at 8:56am

I know previews only just began last night, but I'm very anxious for any early reports on this one.

Thx!

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
Updated On: 5/9/12 at 08:56 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/9/12 at 10:58pm

It's a really lovely musical. The performances are all wonderful. The design is simple and elegant, but evocative.

The first act drags a bit, and the ending sequence should be condensed. But the characters are so well-defined and realistic... not just a Parade of Historical Figures.

The score is really something, though. It's not the 'ol tune you can hum, with an exception or two. But it's beautiful. The characters often are associated with particular styles or instruments that all work together very well.

I expect it should find critical success. Audience success, perhaps not. It's contemplative and more of a character study, no real "plot".

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#2February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/9/12 at 11:48pm

An estimable effort, though only fitfully satisfying. A boarding house in Brooklyn houses famous artists- Auden, Britten, Pears, McCullers - as World War II rages in Europe.

To its credit, it broaches such important themes as the reponsibility of the artist before the vital social issues of the day. Here is where the musical is most dramatic, and where it comes to life. Unfortunately, it doesn't examine the question deeply or extensively enough.

The rest of the time, it just coasts. But it does hold one's interest to a degree, and there is a moving portrait of Auden facing love's loss.

A serious problem is having great artists portrayed in cartoonish fashion. It's one thing for Dolly Levi to teach Cornelius how to dance. It's another to have someone teach Britten and Pears to lighten up, and then have them sing a song about bedbugs!

The music is resolutely untuneful, but not aggressively abrasive. Some of Auden's verses are set to music.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#3February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/9/12 at 11:49pm

How's Kacie?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:49am

She is good, but she has one of the smallest roles in the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#5February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:03am

I had high hopes for this, but it strives to be "art" first, "entertaining" second. One of those musically rambling scores that never breaks out into a satisfying song. Neither opera, really, nor musical theatre. Too bad; it could have been a terrific opportunity, but the writers, I feel, were too concerned with being admired, and not concerned enough with giving the audience a good meal.

whatever2
#6February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/11/12 at 10:47am

sorry ... been out of the country -- thanks for the responses, all.

some of these concerns don't sound like things that can get tweaked during previews (though i suppose one never knows) ... i'll probably take a chance on this one and see for myself, but the comments were interesting!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/11/12 at 11:19am

Some of it could be, I think, simply through tightening up the material and excising some stuff (the aforementioned bit about Britten and Pears learning to lighten up is one of my first choices for things that could go). Since the song list is an insert and not published in the Playbill, it's very possible such cuts may happen.

whatever2
#8February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/11/12 at 1:23pm

thanks, kad -- i would agree that tightenting is always possible as previews progress; i suppose the bits that i'd be concerned about not being fixable really depend on how much change the creative team (esp. kahane) can make to the book in only a few weeks ... which i suppose in part also depends on how much -- and what kind of -- material they have, er, in reserve.

i'll book my tickets for sometime after the opening.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/22/12 at 9:42am

Dramatically inert. Some of the music is downright awful, but there are a few songs that really shine. That Gypsy Rose Lee number is basically an unsubtle mash-up of "Zip" and "Let Me Entertain You." Game cast--Kristen Sieh and the actress who plays Erika Mann (name escapes me) are the obvious standouts.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

#10February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/23/12 at 11:19am

Going Saturday night....mixed reviews it seems....but I am still eager to see it.

whatever2
#11February House -- early reports?
Posted: 5/23/12 at 1:36pm

i actually thought the reviews skewed slightly positive (surprised brantley seemed to like it, to be honest) ... am going to see for myself next Tuesday.