pixeltracker

Supporting Audra's joke about being raped on-stage.- Page 7

Supporting Audra's joke about being raped on-stage.

JuliesPoolie Profile Photo
JuliesPoolie
#150Supporting Audra's rape joke.
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:26pm

It wasn't highly insensitive. It was touching.

If you had any issue with Audra's speech you are in no doubt in need of serious therapy. You might want to consider never leaving your house... that way any big bad men in the world won't come and get you!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#151Supporting Audra's rape joke.
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:34pm

What is wrong with you, Juliespoo?

Stop trolling the boards.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

ShowQueenNYC Profile Photo
ShowQueenNYC
#152Supporting Audra's rape joke.
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:34pm

Thank you henrikegerman, for answering me and understanding that I was asking about only how the scene was played. The "other Board" tends to jump all over you". Since I saw the show so early (it MAY have even been the invited dress) I know that changes might be made. (There wasn't even a backdrop for the island scene). Since this production, director, adaptation have taken so much criticisism I really tried togo with an open mind to see the the cuts, twists etc the did made the show more clear. On several issues, this being one of them, for ME it did not. I think Norm Lewis is so handsome I would take him, with or without a limp - again - not trying to offend - this to ME made being with Porgy a whole other issue.

Again, I hope no one took offense to my question. Thanks!

JuliesPoolie
#153Supporting Audra's rape joke.
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:42pm

Supporting Audra's rape joke.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#154Audra Didn't Make a Rape Joke to Support
Posted: 6/14/12 at 2:47pm

I'm far more offended when a word is used intentionally to be inflammatory, like when people refer to a show they don't like as an "abortion". Audra's comment didn't even come close to resembling that. The word "raped" was heard and then removed from context to create some fictional controversy. Audra didn't make a rape joke. Seth MacFarlane probably has made a few, but it wasn't during the Tony broadcast.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

JuliesPoolie
GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#156Audra Didn't Make a Rape Joke to Support
Posted: 6/14/12 at 3:00pm

I swore I was going to stay out of this thread because tempers have risen far beyond what is justified by Ms. McDonald's comment.

But now I'm curious, Mister Matt. How is McDonald's use of an overly dramatic reference to "rape" different from the exaggeration of referring to a failed show as an "abortion"? I don't think either usage is a crime, but they seem similarly hyperbolic (and similarly lacking in tact) to me.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#157Audra Didn't Make a Rape Joke to Support
Posted: 6/14/12 at 4:42pm

Audra was giving examples of the extreme variance of scenes portrayed by her character with her fellow actors, not because the word "rape" sounds provocative or inflammatory. It was one item in a laundry list of variants and when I saw the comment, there was nothing extremely hyperbolic or malicious intent. The use of "abortion" to describe a show on BWW is ONLY meant to sound extremist and provocative. That particular usage is extremely outdated and those who choose to use it that way do so rather pointedly.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#158Audra Didn't Make a Rape Joke to Support
Posted: 6/14/12 at 4:51pm

Thank you, Matt. I certainly agree that McDonald's comment was neither malicious nor intended to offend.

This thread has become so emotional, it bears repeating for the sake of new readers that, in fact, almost nobody has accused McDonald of killing Jesus. Most of us who objected at all merely said we cringed a little and thought she might have chosen better words.

And of course she wasn't actually joking about rape. But she did use the word as part of the set up for the joke, the punchline of which was "snort drugs with David Alan Grier." (They even cut to Grier for his reaction, a sort of spit-take.)

As I said above, this is a common sort of joke among actors in private, but I don't think the rape reference plays well on national television.

But in the end, no great harm done. McDonald's commitment to "women's issues" is well known.

Updated On: 6/14/12 at 04:51 PM