Golden Age by Terrence McNally

After Eight
#1Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/16/12 at 7:59am

This new play had its first preview last night at MTC.

It is clear that McNally loves opera. So do many. But in this case neither love, valor, nor compassion is enough. If you're going to write about it, if you have nothing new, bright, or interesting to bring to the table, then table it.

The play deals with the Paris premiere of Bellini's I Puritani. The action takes place backstage while the performance is going on. The first act is tepid but tolerable. The second is just irritating in its dullness, which goes on forever. It's one of those plays that doesn't know how, where, or when to end, and so it just doesn't. It's like one of those interminable death scenes in opera, but without any beautiful music.

As a sample of the humor and spirit of the piece the author has Bellini playing snatches of Andrew Lloyd Webber, Wagner, and Puccini at the piano.

There seemed to me some miscasting here. Overall, the performance is not outsized or flamboyant enough for the subject. Perhaps that will come later.

F. Murray Abraham makes a cameo appearance as Rossini in one scene near the end to no dramatic purpose but to make the play go on even longer. It runs a whopping 2:45. After which I felt like I needed a bellini. Or several.

Updated On: 11/16/12 at 07:59 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#2Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/16/12 at 8:29am

Abraham's role is that small? Wow.

Big McNally fan, so curious to hear what others think.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#2Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/16/12 at 8:48am

I saw it in DC a couple of years ago when it premiered (I believe) at the Kennedy Center. I didn't particularly like it and really felt that there wasn't much point to it. The only thing I truly remember was the stunning gown the miscast diva was wearing. Boy was she a terrible actress (don't recall her name).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#3Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/16/12 at 12:33pm

Saw the first preview last night--and I think they're off to a good start. There is still a lot of work to be done, but once all the lines are solidified and the pacing is at a good speed I think this will be a very enjoyable production.

The physical production is really gorgeous and it's a really stunning set, a very wise use of the space.

I think it's rather over-directed. I love Walter Bobbie (who doesn't?), but a lot about this production feels over-directed. I think McNally has such a strong voice, as does Bobbie that this pairing doesn't exactly work.

The cast: Lee Pace did well. He had a great characterization and a perfect quality to his voice that gave the character color. He flubbed a bit, but he has SO much material that it was completely expected. But since the text is so heavy, his (and other actors' line flubs made some scenes drag).

Bebe is doing a bang up job of playing the Malibran. Her instincts are spot on and she finds the humanity (and some humility) in a character that otherwise has none.

Will Rogers: I've seen him in nearly all of his off-Broadway shows, and he continues to impress. Perhaps the most interestingly written character of the group, he really understands his characters story and plays it to full effect.

The supporting cast: Lorenzo Pisoni is HYSTERICAL. He has the most showy role of the 4 "Puritan Players" and is so sexy while doing it. Unfortunately, Deidre Freil is just not good. She is the absolute wrong choice for Grisi and seems quite out of place in this world.

And of course F. Murray Abraham. He's onstage for about 9 minutes all in all (his character is built up throughout the play), but he has such a commanding presence. He seemed rather unsure of his lines, considering he went into rehearsal this past Monday, replacing Richard Easton, but he said every line with conviction.

All in all, another solid MTC production. Once the cues are picked up and some erronous things are cut I think the show will be well reviewed.

Tom-497
#4Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/18/12 at 3:27am

I just got back from tonight's performance. I thought the first 45 minutes or so was OK, despite sometimes sounding like an opera-for-beginners lecture that had been rewritten in dialogue form.

However, as the evening continued, a string of extremely tedious professions of love, and similar confessionals, really dragged things down. In my view, all the characters except possibly Bellini were too sketchy for me to even care who they were in love with, whether that love was requited, etc.

Late in the evening, F. Murray Abraham did bring some gravitas that was otherwise missing, and he got considerable exit applause.

At the show's end, the applause was mostly just polite. But I did later hear one man say, "I can't understand why the audience was so grudging -- compared to the schlock we usually see here, this was tremendous."

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#5Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/21/12 at 6:22am

Have all matinees been moved to a 2pm curtain? I could've sworn there was a 1pm curtain next month...?

Do you think the show will have some time shaved-off amidst previews? 2:45 seems a bit bananas.

whatever2
#6Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/21/12 at 10:30am

Mike: i just checked the length of the production when it ran at the Kennedy Center back in 2010; the WaPo review noted 2:40 run time, and the Kennedy Center website said "about 2-1/2 hours".

So my guess is not much trimming to come ... i agree 2:45 is a long slog.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#7Golden Age by Terrence McNally
Posted: 11/22/12 at 8:26am

I saw this play during its DC run, and it is funny and terrifically moving, and with the new casting it should be even better. Can't wait to go!