pixeltracker

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy? - Page 4

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#75Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 12:37pm

Didn't you guys see the Gullt Trip?????Barbara on film doesn't look a day older than 50. Heck She can pass for 40's.

I am 44 and I found this insulting. Streisand does NOT look like she could pass for 40...and if that's the case (which it isn't) then I look 18. Maybe she can pass for 40 on some alternate reality, but not in this one.

You do know they could manipulate film images post-production, right?

And ditto on the sentiments regarding Natalie Wood. She's the Louise/Gypsy everyone else in measured up against...she was the best thing about the 1962 film version.

brian.klimowski
#76Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 1:35pm

I actually think that's a great idea, haha. That would make it VERY cinematic!

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#77Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 1:50pm

and while we're at it how about BABS for Norma in SUNSET BOULEVARD?...now am i the only one who thinks that is the perfect role for her to play in film?...god knows she can sing that score!

#78Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 2:21pm

If Baba were to be in Sunset Boulevards she'd play the girlfriend and have it re-written so THAT were the leading role.

Thanks for the input Perkins.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#79Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 2:55pm

I don't mind Streisand playing Rose (especially if she really did record the vocals years ago), but she can't direct herself as Rose. How the hell does that work? Didn't Bette Midler essentially do the same thing in her version, as the director was slowly dying and couldn't always be there to reel her in? We all know how that turned it. It was probably one of the worst, most self indulgent performances I've ever seen in my life and I could easily see Streisand doing something similar.

Rose needs a real actress who's not afraid to look bad or be unlikable. People like Streisand and Midler are always trying to be seen in the best light both literally and figuratively).

Gypsy is, IMO, probably the best musical of all time and it does need another film version. I would really like for someone to finally get it right, open it up, and make it cinematic. That person is probably not Streisand.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#80Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 4:21pm

I rather have Barbra as Rose than Norma. She could sing that score beautifully but I don't think she could act as crazy as Glenn Close, who will always be my Norma.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec