HERE LIES LOVE Reviews

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
#2HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:11pm

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews

Imelda Marcos, the former First Lady of the Philippines, was known for two things in America –owning 3,000 pairs of shoes and dancing in discos. “Here Lies Love,” David Byrne’s inspired musical about her, ignores the shoes – the actress playing her wears just one sturdy pair for the entire show, and there is no mention at all of her vast collection of Gucci and Prada and Pierre Cardin – but, as if to compensate, has turned her life story into a night at a disco.
Here Lies Love Review: Disco Night With Imelda Marcos By David Byrne

maila Profile Photo
maila
#2HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:42pm

rave from entertainment weekly :
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20364394_20693845,00.html
"Here Lies Love's most remarkable achievement is managing to tell a story about political corruption and popular empowerment without being heavy-handed — even the somewhat preachy revolutionary campfire singalong near the end reveals a sweet center by the time the harmonies climax in the third verse. That's a testament to not only the excellent source material but also the performers, all of whom are vocally strong — an impressive feat considering the original album featured iconic voices like Cyndi Lauper, Florence Welch, Tori Amos, Natalie Merchant, and Byrne himself."

maila Profile Photo
maila
#5HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/23/13 at 11:19pm

rave from new york daily news :
Finally — a new musical that’s so exhilarating and such a great time that it’s easy to recommend it without hesitation.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/lies-love-theater-review-article-1.1325278#ixzz2RLcWqpVw

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/24/13 at 12:11am

Okay, not to threadjack, but what is the final word on the rush situation for this show?

Are they not doing the student rush tickets they do for everything else at The Public, where you can buy them in advance?

AndrewAndrew Profile Photo
AndrewAndrew
#7HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/24/13 at 1:35pm

Here Lies Love at The Public Theater

Here Lies Love is the love child of an orgy of creativity between three revolutionaries in separate but similar disciplines; pop music, dance music and musical theatre. David Byrne, Alex Timbers, and Norman Cook (AKA Fatboy Slim) have combined their formidable forces to tell the story of an unlikely subject: Imelda Marcos the notorious shoe-afficianado and embattled first lady of the Philippines. Is this Evita for the Millennial's? Find out in our full review!
Video Review ~ Here Lies Love

#8HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/24/13 at 4:10pm

My sister and I saw you guys there (we were in the boxes)....we are savvy enough to know you were/are someone cool but we had to look it up afterwards.....

allinsparetime
#9HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
Posted: 5/17/13 at 11:54am

Thought I would add my review of the show to this post...

Last night my partner and a friend of ours spent the evening dancing with Imelda Marcos and about 200 other strangers at The Public Theater’s Here Lies Love, and unlike many others from her time as the First Lady of the Philippines, we lived to tell the tale.

With music by Talking Head’s David Byrne and directed with endless inventiveness by wunderkind Alex Timbers, I found the show to be a totally unique and enjoyable theatrical experience. While my two theater companions respected but didn’t love the show, I was completely taken in by the groovy, infectious melodies and the seductive choreography. And though I’m usually not a fan of any sort of interactive theater, I gave myself over wholly to the fact that my involvement in the proceedings was going to be integral to my enjoyment of the experience. And boy am I glad that I did.

More at the link below...
Groovin' at The Public Theater's Fabulous HERE LIES LOVE