pixeltracker

Drama Desk/Outer Critics and Off-Broadway

Drama Desk/Outer Critics and Off-Broadway

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#1Drama Desk/Outer Critics and Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/20/14 at 11:33pm

This is a strange year for Broadway musicals and I was thinking that it is entirely possible that an Off-Broadway musical like FUN HOME or HERE LIES LOVES dominates the musical categories at the awards that include On and Off Broadway.

I can certainly see FUN HOME taking many awards given the strange mediocre selection of new musicals... Especially for Supporting Actress (Judy Kuhn), Score (not everyone is as keen on BRIDGES as I am), and even Actress (Sydney Lucas) if the others cancel each other out.

It will be interesting to see how these play out.
I always think these can at least be more fun than the Tonys sometimes.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2Drama Desk/Outer Critics and Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/20/14 at 11:49pm

I think FUNHOME has an excellent chance of cleaning up at most Awards other than the TONYS.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Drama Desk/Outer Critics and Off-Broadway
Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:01am

I predict Fun Home will sweep the pre-Tony awards. (And had it transferred, it'd have done very well, indeed.) Hoping maybe winning all the pre-Tonys will propel it to Broadway.

I wonder if they'll try to petition the Alisons for a joint nod for the other awards. (The Lortels separated them and only 2 of the 3 got nods, which I thought was wrong-Beth Malone gave an incredible performance as well.)

I think book, score, featured actress, direction (Sam Gold's direction was amazing), some technical awards (the lighting, as strange as it sounds, was very, very good-it was used to great effect). I think Michael Cerveris might snag an award or two as well (I thought he'd be in featured actor-it's a large featured role so I could see it going either way-but in featured he might have a better shot-particularly as competitive a season as it is in the leading categories). Updated On: 4/21/14 at 10:01 AM