pixeltracker

"Modern" Les Miserables?- Page 2

"Modern" Les Miserables?

AwesomeDanny
#25Modernizing
Posted: 7/7/14 at 1:57am

Generally, productions neither soar or falter based on the design concept. What makes a good show is the quality of the material and the acting. I've seen poor concepts saved by great performances, and I've seen great concepts fail because of poor acting. That said, I usually don't like when directors make choices like these. To me, as an audience member, I always think about the themes of the play and how they relate to my life. When a director moves the play to a modern day setting to announce that the play is relative, I often feel that my intelligence has been insulted. I can experience the same emotional connection to the character no matter what period clothing he or she is dressed in. And, secondly, I usually feel that this kind of change in setting demonstrates a director's lack of trust in the piece as it is. But this is not always the case, and I really shouldn't judge a production I haven't seen.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#26Modernizing
Posted: 7/7/14 at 3:02am

I'm very interested. It looks and sounds very promising. I doubt I will get to catch it before it closes though.

Wildcard
#27Modernizing
Posted: 7/7/14 at 12:43pm

At a quick glance, I thought Eponine was played by a man. That would have made that love triangle even more interesting

Wilmingtom
#28Modernizing
Posted: 7/7/14 at 3:23pm

Tommy is very articulate about her approach and I'd give it a chance.

Nateholder
#29Modernizing
Posted: 7/8/14 at 2:59am

Reading about the idea, it sounds absolutely ridiculous.

But hearing her talk about it really sold me. I would love to see the show and give it a chance.

When is this show going to get a male Eponine? The show is basically begging for a gay Eponine.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30Modernizing
Posted: 7/8/14 at 12:30pm

I'm sold. The director has a clear and focused vision that she not only beautifully articulates, but backs up perfectly. This looks a hell of a lot more exciting that the current revival.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "