pixeltracker

"The Curious Incident..." Previews- Page 9

"The Curious Incident..." Previews

Steve721
#200Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 11:38am

"Look, I get that it’s hard for Chris to be out in society, and that he doesn’t quite grok the social norms to which most of us are accustomed. It is like that for many people that I personally know, and it makes me uncomfortable when it’s discussed over and over.

The real problem with seeing everything through Chris’ eyes is that it exposes and focuses attention on his lack of a character arc. The plot “twist”, if you want to call it that, is not founded in the rest of the story—all I will say to avoid spoilers is that Chris has not lacked for encouraging adult figures in his life."

You do realize that social awkwardness is not Christopher's only issue? He has Asperger's syndrome--i.e., high-functioning autism. Many adolescents are socially awkward, but few of them scream and lash out whenever they are touched or have Christopher's other behavioral problems. I'm not sure what you were expecting in terms of a "character arc" for Christopher. He does ultimately go to London by himself, which is certainly a big deal for someone in his situation.

"I feel that by the end, Christopher has gained confidence-he believes he is capable of leading a fairly normal life (and indeed, he likely is). His journey has given him that confidence and insight that he needed."

I think the play is ambivalent about Christopher's future. If I'm remembering correctly, at the end of the play, Christopher tells his teacher about his plans for the future (which include going to university, getting his own apartment and becoming a scientist), and she has this stricken look on her face. I frankly don't know enough about Asperger's syndrome to know what Christopher's future might realistically be.

Updated On: 10/6/14 at 11:38 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#201Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 11:40am

I had a lady sitting next to me when I saw it who told me that a friend of hers (male) with Asperger's has a wife and kids. He also has a job. So, I'm guessing that lots of people with this can indeed function. (There are variations, there is no doubt. My only quibble with the play (which I love) is the teacher's ambivalence about his ability to succeed-there are surely paths he could take-and that he could live on his own and function.)

Steve721
#202Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 11:50am

"I had a lady sitting next to me when I saw it who told me that a friend of hers (male) with Asperger's has a wife and kids. He also has a job. So, I'm guessing that lots of people with this can indeed function. (There are variations, there is no doubt. My only quibble with the play (which I love) is the teacher's ambivalence about his ability to succeed-there are surely paths he could take-and that he could live on his own and function.)"

Temple Grandin has autism and learned to cope well enough to get her doctorate, become a college professor and noted authority on animal behavior, and write several books. So you are certainly correct that some people with Asperger's live independently and function well. I'm just not sure where Christopher falls on the continuum of Autism.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#203Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 11:53am

I am not sure-but he did do things that I'm not sure he believed he could-and certainly things that no one else believed he could. I just wish they were more optimistic-Temple Grandin is a great example. I know professionals in other fields who cope with it. (The book is more positive in its tone at the end.)

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#204Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 12:29pm

Regularly priced house seats are now $139. I see that they've raised the price tag already. Good for them. I'll pay whatever I have to to see it!

Any update on the alternate dates being made public?

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#205Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 12:30pm

Mike-if you go in person they will tell you. Also, did they raise the rear mezz prices?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#206Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 1:10pm

Sadly, I'm outside the city thru January, so that's not an option for me. Curious Previews

Rear Mezz is being sold for $89. With fees, It comes to $97.50. That's before "shipping" and all that, I take it.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#207Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 1:34pm

So, now that Curious Incident has opened and is not in previews - who is going to start a new thread about the ongoing show - and not the previews?

TheatreKid3
#208Curious Previews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 1:40pm

If anyone finds out Trensch's schedule this week could you post it? Thanks!