pixeltracker

My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!- Page 4

My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!

RW3
#75My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:41pm

Rachelle and Lea bouta slay!!!!

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#76My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:43pm

WOW

Stephanatic

RW3
#77My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:44pm

That riff. Flawless

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#78My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:46pm

Very powerful and moving performances, though I agree with Mr M about Jon.

It is easy to dismis this show as a period piece but this evening's performance reminds me that this is not the case - it's a stunning work.

Updated On: 10/3/14 at 06:46 PM

South Florida
#79My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:47pm

This is gonna be fun to watch some day.

Stephanatic

RW3
#80My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:48pm

Now the "Follies" moment.

Wildcard
#81My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:50pm

In recordings, John's riffs seem very out of place. Live however, you don't really notice it that much, especially with the choir behind him. He comes across as a southern preacher (maybe his dad was one in Atlanta). It's also very much a crowd-pleaser

RW3
#82My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:51pm

The American Dream times 2!!!

South Florida
#83My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 6:52pm

Thank God they dint eff this up with a Jonas brother.

Stephanatic

Wildcard
#84My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 7:00pm

"Thank God they dint eff this up with a Jonas brother."

That'll be for the movie version :-p

RW3
#85My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 7:00pm

That was indescribable.

Wildcard
RW3
#87My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 7:06pm

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

South Florida
#88My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/3/14 at 8:27pm

Thank you Wildcard.

Stephanatic

Alessio2
#89My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/4/14 at 1:32am

Do you guys know if there are plans to release this in full? Was this a full performance of the show featuring the new cast and the original cast members for a big finale?

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#90My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:11am

It was a full performance with Simon Bowman, Lea and Jonathan Pryce performing a few numbers at the end, but it doesn't seem like they plan on doing a big DVD/CD release like what was done for LES MIS and PHANTOM (probably because those were specially done concerts not relating to any one production whereas this was just a performance with the current London cast and a special finale). It will however be available to listen to on the BBC 2 website for one week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j551n

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#91My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:01pm

Did Maltby and Boublil get paid more to tinker unnecessarily with almost all the numbers by changing at least one line in every song? Kim's section of I STILL BELIEVE now sounds so clunky and has lost a lot of the legato phrases that I enjoyed in its original incarnation because Eva Noblezada has to spit out so many syllables and almost patter sing her part.

I heard MAYBE for the first time in last year's Signature Theatre revival and immediately hated it. I saw the mini-tour shortly thereafter in its CT stop with Charlie Brady as Chris (second only to Will Chase IMHO) and that production opted to use NOW THAT I'VE SEEN HER. It still works better melodically and narratively than MAYBE, which TPTB should jettison.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#92My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/4/14 at 2:29pm

Lea still sounds great. I wish she had a strong Broadway vehicle to return to. Unlike Lea, I did not care for the riffing of the gal who was singing with her in Movie in My Mind.

Wildcard
#93My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/4/14 at 4:55pm

They were instructed to sing it out of character and as concert performances. She obviously didn't sing it that way during the actual show

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#94My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/6/14 at 2:27am

Why does the listing on Amazon UK state that "Little God of My Heart" is in the current West End revival when in fact it uses the same "Finale" from the Complete Symphonic Recording? I'm bummed because if "The Sacred Bird" was a nonstarter for this production, then I really wanted a professional English recording of "Little God of My Heart." To my knowledge, other than the bootlegged singing of Lea Salonga, only Minako Honda (R.I.P.) recorded this (and live to boot) for the Original Japanese Cast Recording. Not once did Eva Noblezada sing the line "Little God of My Heart." What's up with that?!?

Updated On: 10/7/14 at 02:27 AM

South Florida
#95My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/6/14 at 9:25am

I'm a neophyte compared to the rest of you guys. Is Cameron Mackintosh as big an asshole as he was at the end of Miss Saigon? He stated that he had to rewrite Boublil's story, even if he did or was more responsible than Boublil for the English version, what a dick for picking that forum to say it.

Stephanatic
Updated On: 10/6/14 at 09:25 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#96My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/6/14 at 11:21am

Live however, you don't really notice it that much, especially with the choir behind him. He comes across as a southern preacher (maybe his dad was one in Atlanta).

Oof. To me, that just makes it sound even worse. The song itself is preachy enough and what I liked about the original was that (at least, early on in the run) it never crossed over that line into a "performer piece". The one and only time a number like that in the show feels appropriate, because of the context and character, is The American Dream. I love the new recording, but I'll be skipping Bui Doi on it from here on out. I *might* be seeing this in London in the Spring, but I truly hope it doesn't look as awful as it sounds.

Is Cameron Mackintosh as big an asshole as he was at the end of Miss Saigon?

Well, this wouldn't be the first time he's been perceived that way.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 10/6/14 at 11:21 AM

Wildcard
#97My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/6/14 at 12:41pm

That has been his mantra for a long time now… great musicals are not written, they're re-written. It doesn't apply for every production but it has certainly worked well enough for him in his career.

South Florida
#98My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/6/14 at 3:31pm

It was fun listening to this with a few of you real fans and chatting,enjoyed that.

Stephanatic

South Florida
#99My 2014 MISS SAIGON Live Recording Has Dispatched!
Posted: 10/9/14 at 6:53pm

Lea is so beautiful. Love this.

Stephanatic