News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jsg03jd

jsg03jd Profile Photo
Member Name: jsg03jd
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
 Oct 3 2023, 08:42:16 AM

NoItAll said:

Has anyone noticed Filipinos cheering at seemingly inappropriate moments during the show. If so, it may be because they consider the murders and tortures of their countrymen to be features, not bugs. HLL is a show for:

Americans ignorant of the role their own country has played in the 20th century in bringing the Philippines to this dystopia, and

Filipino fascists in the diaspora.
"

It was obscene to see Filipinos ch

HERE LIES LOVE Reviews
 Sep 21 2023, 10:34:26 PM

They actually restored the reprise of the title song for the curtain call?  Like they did at the Public?  And the cast and creators are still sticking to their talking points that they’re not glorifying a plundering murderess?

When I saw the Public production in 2015, there was some credence to HLL being a cautionary tale.  But 8 years later, intervening events such as the rise of autocrats including Rodrigo Duterte, a Marcos crony as well as a murderer, the releas

Error on Les Miz Video?
 Dec 10 2019, 12:37:32 PM

Did anyone see the cinecast?  Something was way off with Michael Ball's voice.  I was pretty shocked at how he sounded.  Maybe he was ill?

Renee Fleming: A Real Pro
 Sep 4 2018, 02:16:35 PM

mtcond said: "It was also her final performance in the show. She had a leave of absence scheduled that started this week, but now she won’t be returning before the September 16 closing. Which also might explain her extended entrance applause, though with her appearance at the McCain funeral earlier in the day her applause was earned several times over. We are lucky to have her forever on the magnificent cast recording."

Her final performance was actually on Sun

Carousel today
 Sep 3 2018, 06:51:42 PM

To me, CAROUSEL is the greatest musical.  I don't read reviews until after I see a show, and I only read news items about what shows are opening and who's cast in them.  This CAROUSEL sadly fails to live up to its potential, and there are only two reasons, well only one now, to see this revival: Alexander Gemignani and Renée Fleming.

I saw both Sunday shows solely for Renée and with the hope that this revival would be as effective and moving as the

ANNIE at the Hollywood Bowl
 Jul 28 2018, 09:16:04 PM

I remember the ABC television production with Audra McDonald, Kristin Chenoweth and Victor Garber and have seen the movie with Carol Burnett and Bernadette Peters.  I'm somewhat familiar with the score but not an expert on it by any means.  I saw the BWW TV preview a few days ago and was a bit shocked to hear Lea Salonga singing as a legit soprano and sustaining a G#/A-flat at the end of the clip.  I don't recall McDonald's version pitched as high, an

Brigadoon
 Nov 20 2017, 02:59:21 PM

When you think about it, the townsfolk of Brigadoon are members of a cult that followed Forsythe blindly and gave up their free will to him except for Harry.  And for that Harry was punished by death caused by an outsider.

Brigadoon
 Nov 20 2017, 02:42:00 PM

Indeed.  He had planned to attend university and he couldn't do that given the pact that Forsythe made with God.  And he's stuck forever in the same town to see the love of his life presumably happily living a married life with Charlie. 

And I forget if the original script had Jeff shooting a gun causing Harry to fall off a ravine like the City Center production showed or if Jeff was the one who actually physically smashed Harry's head with a ro

Brigadoon
 Nov 20 2017, 02:08:10 PM

I noticed the opening chorus was missing and also noted that there's a reprise of THERE BUT FOR YOU GO I in the last scene that is not in the original book and score.  Patrick Wilson has a tendency to go flat but not at the Sunday 2 pm performance.  It also sounds like his voice has gotten fuller since I saw him in the revival of OKLAHOMA! years ago.  As expected, Kelli O'Hara's Fiona was excellent.  And I am really glad they trimmed some of the dialogue includ

Miss Saigon Previews Thread
 Mar 6 2017, 11:41:38 PM

sing_dance_love said: "Went again tonight and BOY,  was it a show. First, a couple prop and costume snafus in the first act, easily attributable to working out preview kinks. 

THEN during Bui Doi, some guy, i believe orchestra left somewhere starting shouting over the song. At first i thought it was staged, that some soldiers might be against John's work, but then i heard "GO TRUMP". Eek. The actors kept on performing beautifully a

Mar 5 2017, 05:22:32 PM

Dave28282 said: "I have a question. In the 2nd act, when Kim Meets John again in the nightclub, and sings to him about her struggle "One month at sea, etc, but I thought about Chris and we didn't go down", which is a beautiful Kim moment, but in the London revival and filmed version suddenly the Engineer took over half of her lines, which felt very strange and then Kim sang "come see love, come see Chris" but she sang those lines off stage when the Engine

Mar 5 2017, 05:18:48 PM

starcatchers said: "jsg03jd said: "GreasedLightning said: "Where was everyone sitting? Any seat advice/reports?

I recommend front mezzanine center so you can appreciate everything happening onstage.

"

I was in Row F on the left (rush seats), and I felt I was too close. I think front mezzanine would be ideal. 

Question...was the Mormon always there du

Mar 5 2017, 12:52:12 AM

GreasedLightning said: "Where was everyone sitting? Any seat advice/reports?

I recommend front mezzanine center so you can appreciate everything happening onstage.

Mar 5 2017, 12:48:03 AM

wish i were here2 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Oh, no! Does this mean Ana is on for Saturday matinees? That's when my tickets are for "

When I rushed this morning, I had this gut feeling Lianah was going to do the matinees, and I was right. Though you MIGHT miss Eva, Lianah was really good! 

I'd love to see the new alternate Kim/Kam Cheng's heir apparent.

Mar 4 2017, 02:28:52 PM

eatlasagna said: "Btw... did anyone see the non equity tour? I feel like they kinda used the same set design and staging... but not entirely the same... did they for the revival?

Which one was that?  In Arena Stage in Virginia in 2013 or the one led by Charlie Brady and Manna Nichols?  The Brady/Nichols production I saw in Hartford had sets similar to the ones in New York now minus the scaffolding.  For instance, everything after the TELE

Mar 4 2017, 02:22:18 PM

theatregoer3 said: "mailhandler777 said: "jsg03jd said: "

-- I miss the automated trucks from the original productions in Drury Lane and the Broadway Theatre.  The new sets are too basic and look like they belong in a touring production, not on Broadway."

They will be used in the touring production.
"

I also missed the automated trucks from the original. The spike marks and non-automated

Mar 4 2017, 02:19:53 PM

Broadwaystar2 said: "matineeidol2591 said: "This was a total snooze fest. disappointing from start to finish. flimsy/cheap theme park set, melodramatic performances, tired direction, and the biggest travesty- a very sad sounding orchestra.  save your money and watch the bootleg floating around with will chase and lea salonga. 

" Its very interesting that you are the ONLY one on this thread that feels this way. You must have no

Mar 4 2017, 02:11:01 PM

eatlasagna said: "theatregoer3 said: "BroadwayGuy12 said: "HighFlyingAdored97 said: "Can somebody who saw the original Miss Saigon tell me if Lea Salonga got the last bow during curtain call? I left the theatre tonight feeling angry that Jon Jon Briones got the last bow. This is Kim's story, and Eva Noblezada gave the strongest performance. I thought it was so disrespectful to Ms. Noblezada to give her the second to last bow."

I was

Mar 4 2017, 02:05:21 PM

VintageSnarker said: "How is Alistair Brammer's American accent?

Very good and convincing.

Favorite Rodgers/Hammerstein Show?
 Mar 4 2017, 03:18:43 AM

Hands down it's CAROUSEL.  The R&H canon is phenomenal and CAROUSEL is its finest representation. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You