pixeltracker

Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?

Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?

Spil.Berg
#1Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:03am

I did not know Robert Sean Leonard was a Tony winner

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#2Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:05am

And now you do.

....but the world goes 'round

Spil.Berg
#2Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:09am

wow how was he in the music man

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:13am

He was cast in it.

I'm not sure why you're so surprised. If you are looking at his credits (which I assume you are based on your questions) then you know he was trained in theater and has been in many Broadway shows. He founded a theater company, and devotes a lot of his career to theater.

Updated On: 12/3/14 at 06:13 AM

Spil.Berg
#4Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:15am

was he good as an actor

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:20am

I think he is (please, Spil.Berg not was. He's still alive and working).

He was outstanding in Arcadia.

He's also been nominated for a Tony two other times besides his win for Invention of Love.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#6Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 7:31am

The least successful of the 2.0 Harold Hills, in my opinion, though he worked hard, clearly. He didn't have the necessary size and bravura showmanship. He was like the talented boy in high school who got the role because ... he was the talented boy in the high school. I can't fault the quality of his work, merely his appropriateness for the unique charismatic demands of Hill. His "Trouble" I recall, lacking a galvanizing snake-oil selling confidence. Not everyone can play everything, even if the results are earnest and impressive. I can't imagine today paying $146 to see him stretch in that role.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

LarryD2
#7Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 9:02am

He's a naturalist and a great ensemble actor. Casting him in a magnetic, showboating role like Harold Hill did him no favors. (Nor is he a great singer, even in a role like Hill where you don't have to be Alfred Drake to pull it off.) He worked hard, for sure, but sometimes if the fit's not right, it can't be overcome.

He was terrific in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT and THE INVENTION OF LOVE, and really made a lot out of the straight man role in BORN YESTERDAY. And, of course, he's endlessly entertaining as House's foil.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 10:02am

Stop acting like such a nasty troll.

Yes, he deservedly won a Tony award and, yes, he's a terrific actor.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#9Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:18pm

He has been outstanding in everything I've ever seen him in. Off-Off Broadway, Broadway, film, television, and even open mic in a piano bar. Super nice guy, too.

I especially remember his performance in Candida with Mary Steenburgen. Quite moving.

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#10Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:39pm

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live, but he was very good in Dead Poet's Society and amusing in House. His acting style is very theatrical and I'm not surprised that he is good on stage.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#11Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:50pm

He also was a good Claudio in Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing; surrounded by great performances (Keaton's Dogberry) and some sub-par performances (Keanu's Don John), he stood his ground

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 2:48pm

He was the best Romeo I have ever seen. Hope he comes back to the NY stage soon.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#13Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 3:45pm

Where do we think OP fits on the spectrum?

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#14Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 5:24pm

^ Full blown Sybil.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing him live, but he was very good in Dead Poet's Society and amusing in House. His acting style is very theatrical and I'm not surprised that he is good on stage.

Thank you for sharing those highly sagacious thoughts - I am sure they are of great interest to us all.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#15Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 5:26pm

Ok... It's not like I wrote anything offensive. I just learned that he was a theatre actor through this post and decided to reply.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#16Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 5:29pm

I thought THE INVENTION OF LOVE was a deadly dull play -- and I'm a Stoppard fan. But Richard Easton and Robert Sean Leonard were the production's saving graces. There was stiff competition in both acting categories that year, so kudos to both of them.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Noel&Cole
#17Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 5:54pm

Robert Sean Leonard is a wonderful stage actor! He just got consumed by HOUSE for 10 years. But if you've ever read any interviews with him, he says theatre is his love, he hated TV but it provided for his family. I saw him BORN YESTERDAY and MUSIC MAN. He was great in both, although better in BORN YESTERDAY because he isn't a natural singer or dancer

Rinaldo
#18Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:39pm

Robert Sean Leonard has given effective performances on TV and movies (and I'm glad for him that the House exposure has made him "bankable" in future stage productions, as well as helping his financial security). But those don't really give any hint of what a GREAT stage actor he is. Really one of the best we have. He was delightful, magnetic, and just right in a somewhat secondary role in ARCADIA, and heartbreaking in THE INVENTION OF LOVE (absolutely deserved the Tony). I hope I can see him in a play again soon.

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#19Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/3/14 at 11:21pm

Big Robert Sean Leonard fan. First saw him on stage in The Iceman Cometh, and haven't missed a NY appearance since. Such an intelligent performer; who else would you want interpretating O'Neill and Stoppard?

Looks like he is cast as Atticus Finch in a production of To Kill a Mockingbird in London next year. Let's hope he comes back to the city and rides his bike to work again soon.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#20Robert Sean Leonard TONY winner really?
Posted: 12/4/14 at 12:55am

I saw him on Broadway in Speed of Darkness in 1991. The memorable part is that it was just after Dead Poets, and I noticed someone very Ethan Hawke-looking on the sidewalk near the stage door. The reason I wasn't sure is that it was when he made the transition from the baby-faced kid into the bearded Alive version, which was the beginning of some sort of facial hair being part of his thing after that.

So, while Robert Sean Leonard was dealing with all the girls at the stage door, I had a nice chat with Ethan, and the girls five feet away were asking "Do you still see Ethan?!" and he looked over their shoulders barely any distance away from them, smiled at Ethan and said, "Yeah, I see him now and again..." and then Ethan introduced me to him when he came over afterward. No one else sorted out it was him.