Caroline Bowman in Wicked

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#1Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/17/14 at 1:30pm

Did anyone see Caroline Bowman as Elphaba yesterday? Cant wait to hear how she evolves in this role!

trpguyy
#2Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:16pm

Yes, around 1,900 people saw her as Elphaba last night.

But really, she was probably incredible as always.

Visceral_Fella
#2Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:57pm

A friend of mine who has seen the show an unmentionable amount of times was there, and didn't care for her. He said she was his least favorite out of everyone he's seen. Apparently her defying gravity is still very shouty, and she placed the rest of the show in an odd soft mix. He did say that she wasn't bad in any sense of the word, but he did not enjoy her. He was also there with someone who had never seen the show before, and his guest didn't respond warmly to Caroline either Caroline Bowman in Wicked. They both LOVED Kara though.

Perhaps she was nervous, and will find her footing over the course of her run.

Updated On: 12/17/14 at 02:57 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/17/14 at 3:28pm

I was there last night and I did not care for her either. I have seen every Elphaba/Glinda replacement throughout the entirety of the run of WICKED and Caroline barely registered for me. I suppose I could chalk it up to nerves, but I thought she would improve throughout the night, and sadly, she did not.

Kara Lindsay, who I loathed in NEWSIES, was hysterial in WICKED last night. I loved her portrayal of Glinda and her voice was much better than I remember from NEWSIES. She was a pleasant surprise.

Kathy Fitzgerald, who I had seen before, was excellent as usual. I didn't think either Matt Shingledecker or Robin De Jesus were very good. Tom McGowan didn't really register in the small role of The Wizard. I did enjoy Kelli Barrett as Nessarose and Timothy Britten Parker as Dr. Dillamond (who I had seen before).

The ensemble as a whole seemed very fresh though, and despite a few mishaps in principal casting, I still enjoyed myself overall last night.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#4Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:59pm

Very interesting. I saw her twice as Eva on the national your of EVITA and was phenomenal. I've heard older audio of her as Elphaba and I thought she sounded great!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

RW3
#5Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/23/14 at 11:43pm

I was reading comments about Caroline's first "Defying Gravity" and someone posted that they heard that Caroline doesn't have a 9 month contract and that she is just filling in. I wanted to know if anyone could confirm or deny this.

Visceral_Fella
#6Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 12:06am

I've been hearing similar rumblings, maybe she's there until the 1st national tour closes and Emma Hunton will succeed her? I hope that's not the case, as I'm not a fan of Emma's Elphaba, but it seems likely. Or, which is what I hope, they're waiting for Alison Luff's Matilda contract to end. Alison Luff succeeding would bring me exquisite joy.

I was listening to Caroline's latest defying gravity, and I have to say I'm not confident that she can sustain herself in this role. It's so weird because she was such a kick ass Eva, and her singing sounded so healthy in Evita which is considered more vocally demanding than Elphaba. Somehow the way she sings Elphaba doesn't sound healthy to me. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, as I would never wish poor health on anyone.

Updated On: 12/24/14 at 12:06 AM

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#7Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:01am

I've been listening to the audios that are out there, and it seems like at points she just forgets how to sing with proper vocal technique. She hits so many rough patches in No Good Deed and The Wizard and I. Also, she's consistently out of breath, which is not good to sustain the belty songs.

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#8Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:07am

One could only hope she's a temporary replacement.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#9Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:17am

Really hoping Emma or Alison join the broadway cast soon.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#10Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:30am

I hope it's not Emma. I hope it's someone new

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#11Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 11:46am

She was horrendous in the Evita tour. Better than Elena Roger, but that's not saying anything.

trpguyy
#12Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 12:07pm

Apparently adamgreer saw a different Evita tour than everybody else.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#13Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 12:16pm

I also disliked Caroline Bowman’s performance in “Evita”. She just didn’t have the presence or the voice. This description of her in “Wicked” is on par with how I would describe her vocals in “Evita”:

Apparently her defying gravity is still very shouty, and she placed the rest of the show in an odd soft mix.

When I heard she was cast as Elphaba, I had a hard time picturing her being able to handle the belty-ness of the score.

Starship
#14Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 1:49pm

Caroline seems like a sweet girl, but I think it's the first time I've been worried that an Elphie wasn't going to make half of her notes.

Visceral_Fella
#15Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 2:13pm

She has a lot of potential, but she needs more control in the belty part of her voice to take some of that shouty sound away, and her voice also doesn't have a clear line to it. Those are both things that can be developed. She is very young, isn't she?

JamesBroadwayWiner Profile Photo
JamesBroadwayWiner
#16Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 4:12pm

I would love to see Lena Hall as Elphaba. I think that would be amazing. But I guess Tony winners do not usually join casts of long running shows like that.

"Brevity is the soul of wit"--Hamlet

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#17Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 4:34pm

^^ Can we see more of Lena Hall in anything?

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Brave Sir Robin2
#18Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 4:56pm

I finaI finally heard the audio, and based off The Wizard And I, I think Caroline might have been slightly under the weather. I think she'll be great as she settles in and her voice did have some moments that were a little yell-y (although they were cleanly in pitch and sounded healthy/powerful) but I think she might be slightly under.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#19Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 12/24/14 at 6:42pm

Caroline is 26. Despite the fact that she finished a BFA program and has had 3 shows on Broadway, I think her voice is still evolving and she's still learning all the parts of it. The "shouty" part of her voice does come out in parts of her belt, but that can be fixed. A shouty belt is so common in Elphabas. So many actresses just need time to develop into that role--which is also why some actresses come out of the role with vocal issues.

ohjustjake
#20Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 1/16/15 at 11:37pm

Searched for this thread so I didn't have to post a new one.

Just gotta say that Kara Lindsay is FANTASTIC as Glinda - she is doing things I haven't seen anyone else do before, it all felt so fresh.

Caroline... she's fine. She's not amazing, she's not bad. She doesn't sing it the best, she doesn't act it the best, but it wasn't terrible. She definitely gives off the impression that she is filling in for the time being - I agree with whoever said it before me though, this was the first time I was worried that the Elphaba wasn't actually going to be able to sing everything.

Had a Fiyero understudy who was super disappointing. Other than Kara, the show feels like it's kind of lost it's groove. Sometimes the pace is flying by, othertimes it stops in its tracks in places that it never did before. It all just seems like it needs a fresh coat of paint.

Brave Sir Robin2
#21Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 1/17/15 at 12:46am

Having heard more recent audio, I can tell that she has grown in the role and hope she becomes more comfortable with playing the role in New York.

Blabla3
#22Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 1/17/15 at 8:01am

I saw Wicked again last week and I feel exactly the same.

I loved Kara Lindsay as Glinda, would definitely like to see her again! Then Caroline.. I'm not a big fan of her Elphaba. I was also hoping that she was going to be able to hit all the notes, it just didn't feel like she was singing comfortably (yet?). Hopefully she can develop a bit more in the role.

However, if Caroline is indeed temporary, I'm hoping that Rachel Tucker will succeed her now The Last Ship is closing early.. I'm dying to see her green!

StageyAndProud
#23Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 1/17/15 at 9:04am

I think Rachel Tucker (The Last Ship) should take over from Caroline. I saw her multiple times in the West End and I really think she would please American audiences.

Visceral_Fella
#24Caroline Bowman in Wicked
Posted: 1/17/15 at 5:54pm

It would be amazing if Rachel Tucker took over. I really hope that Caroline's temporary replacement contract is almost up, not because of anything negative, but it's been a few weeks and there seems to be a unanimous concern about her voice. 1 I don't want her to her herself, but 2, audience members shouldn't have to worry if the actress they're seeing is going to make it through the show. That's a little ridiculous.