Tree by Julie Hebert

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#1Tree by Julie Hebert
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:49am

I saw this play again today at the San Francisco Playhouse and I thought it warranted its own thread to say how good this show is. A Raisin in the Sun for the modern day, it is the kind of brand new play to come around once a decade that really reminds you not only of the joy and compassion that theatre can bring, but of the beauty and tragedy of life. Cathleen Riddley gives one of the most compelling performances I think I've ever seen, stage or screen, and Carl Lumbly is amiable, convincing, and powerful. The other two cast members are not so great, but the two that stand out shine enough to make the acting of a caliber I've never seen on such a small stage. Thank you to the San Francisco Playhouse for producing this work, and to all who worked on the production. There were many tears shed at this performance, including my own and the two people I were with. It's a special piece, and something you should rush to get tickets to if you can.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#2Tree by Julie Hebert
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:59am

I love love love SF Playhouse. I have until March 7 to see this. The female lead is actually a cofounder and Producing Director of SF Playhouse. She also directed Into the Woods, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I'm looking forward to Company. I've already purchased tickets!!!!

rjm516
#2Tree by Julie Hebert
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:03am

Oh weird timing, there's a new play called Tree in London but it's definitely not the same thing.