pixeltracker

Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews

Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews

iholland95 Profile Photo
iholland95
#1Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 12:54am

Who's seen the new Phantom national tour? Please share your reviews here! Is it much different from the Broadway show? If so, how? What makes it better/worse than the Broadway production?

Updated On: 3/3/15 at 12:54 AM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#2Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 8:11am

I saw it and enjoyed it a lot.

I haven't seen the Broadway production, so I can't compare the two, but I did have a good time at the tour.

The sets were fantastic - I loved how it spun around to make different locations, and the Phantom's lair was very well done.

As for the cast, they were pretty good. Nothing really fantastic, but they weren't bad. I saw understudies on for Phantom and Christine, and the Phantom US stood out to me, as did Carlotta.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#2Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 10:10am

Yes, the tour is VERY different from the Broadway show in terms of staging, direction, etc. There aren't too many differences in the script, though, and the score is still intact. A majority of fans hate this production, but I think it's okay.

Just don't go in expecting another tour of the Broadway production, because that's not what you'll be getting. I'm sure if you go in with an open mind and try not to compare the two, you'll have a great time. :)

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 3/3/15 at 10:10 AM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#3Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 10:22am

I do recall the auctioneer's monologue at the auction being different from what is on the cast recording, but other than that there were no major changes that I can think of script-wise.

MDM2015
#4Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 10:26am

I saw it in Philly after seeing the Broadway production again. I loved it. It think it moved better than Broadway and seemed less dated. The set design is really terrific and heightens the theatrically. The one exception is Masquerade. They have cut the staircase and play it in the "Mirrored Lobby" it looks silly. But so did the mannequins on the stairs in the Broadway production.

Go, you will enjoy it.

The Scorpion
#5Phantom of the Opera Tour Reviews
Posted: 3/3/15 at 4:01pm

I haven't seen it in the States, but I did see it in Britain before it went across the pond.

Overall, I thought it was a big disappointment. I posted a detailed review on this board - see the link at the bottom.

Judging by what other fans have said, it still is a big disappointment, particularly if you've already seen the original production. I'm told that they took on board comments re the pathetic chandelier in the UK, though, and that this was improved, but to be honest the chandelier was the least of my concerns.

I don't think it's unfair to make comparisons considering that is exactly what Cameron Mackintosh is doing in all the press interviews (he talks down the original show and claims this version is superior, which is nonsense).

There are some very minor script changes. The only change to the score is new exit music...unless you count the fact that the segue into the title song takes much longer than usual because of the way it is staged (and for me, it ruined the moment).

I was all for a new production, and in the past I have seen great reimaginings of shows I loved in their original productions. But this wasn't one of them.

Review of the UK production Updated On: 3/3/15 at 04:01 PM