pixeltracker

Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn- Page 2

Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#25Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn
Posted: 6/29/15 at 12:05am

I agree with Ray, I actually prefer to forget Bullets. I don't really think her performance was Norma Desmond-ish...I thought it was simply misdirected...and the material was so poor...I also choose to forget N2N, but Marin was also stunning, even in a show I hated.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 6/29/15 at 12:05 AM

zuzuspetals3
#26Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn
Posted: 6/29/15 at 2:17pm

I think they are some of the most underrated actresses on Broadway....kinda like the Laura Linney's of Broadway musicals. I've always been a huge fan of both, and I think there are tons of roles they would be AMAZING in, but never get the chance. Lame.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#27Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn
Posted: 6/30/15 at 2:54am

Not that anyone is likely to care, but I thought the two numbers from Kiss Me, Kate were very endearing. "Wunderbar" began with a touch of humor, and was sung "enchantingly" by Marin and BSM. It was something I could put on repeat and listen to a half dozen times. (Love waltzes generally). And I would put her "So In Love" up there with anyone's.

She was active in that two or three episode PBS series My Favorite Broadway hosted by Julie Andrews. I wish they could bring it, or something like it, back. Full of interesting performances, some not so good for me but worth it for the happy surprises.

Karen Ziemba and Bebe Neuwirth began with "Nowadays" and "Hot Honey Rag," which is a fine way to start any show. At the New York Pops gala Bebe was still doing Chicago: "All That Jazz."

We had Marin singing BB&B. Is there any decent female vocalist who doesn't sing/record this. Ella in her Rodgers and Hart songbook was the first I heard it with extended lyrics. When Marin finished the Intro and launched into the chorus the audience applauded like they hadn't know what song was coming from the intro.

One of those surprises occurs when Linda Eder came out and slays "Man of La Mancha." Isn't that due for a revival. I was always unhappy that there were so many pop versions of "Impossible Dream" and few got to hear Richard Kiley.

Another surprise and highlight was young Anna Kendricks who appeared with the Cabaret Kit Kat Girls at their sleaziest to sing "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" from Showboat. Broad fun with Kendricks pretty amazing at that age.

Also Karen Ziemba with a playful rendition of "I Wanna Be a Rockette" with the real Rockettes.

Audra was highlighted twice. Solo she sang "Down with Love," the Harold Arlen song not surprisingly a favorite of Judy Garland. Once the performance was underway, Audra shifted into overdrive, going quickly into and out of snatches of other songs, including "Mr Snow," at breakneck speed. One you would want to see.

But to me the vocal highlight was provided in part by Lloyd Webber. If anyone is still here, Audra, Marin, and Judy Kuhn came out in succession and sang "Love Changes Everything," "Unexpected Song," and "I Don't Know How to Love Him." I have to say that Audra was just the most regal out there with "Love Changes Everything." Listening to that, I could understand (well, almost) why she has six Tonys while Kelli and Kristin split two. All three of them came back on the stage following Judy and kicked around all three songs in every different combination of singers and songs, but ending all together on "love will never, never let you be the same."

Oh, and for the hard core anti-Webbers, Elaine Stritch closes with a certain song from  Company.

sctrojan65
#28Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn
Posted: 6/30/15 at 8:58am

"I thought Mazzie was terrific in Bullets Over Broadway, but I also loved the show overall.

"

I'm with you. I saw Bullets Over Broadway last summer and was really glad I ignored the critics on that one.

Just goes to show that two people can see the same show with one loving it, the other not.

I know the music wasn't "original," but I think it (mostly) worked. I'll admit that I wasn't overly enthralled by the "Bananas" song at the end, and I think the show could have closed with a really fantastic Stroman-created choreography number (a la Crazy For You). It didn't, and left me a little empty because of it.

Overall though, I thought it was a really good show. The dancing was great. I enjoyed the music. And the performances were outstanding, IMO. Including Mazzie. Somewhat caricaturist, yes, but still highly entertaining. That kind of character interpretation worked for an "over the top" show like this, IMO.

Videos