Jordan Catalano
#25School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:49pm

let's ALL think about that!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 1:49pm

Like most of ALW'S work but the story involved does nothing for me.

Poster Emeritus

BonnieBanks Profile Photo
BonnieBanks
#27School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:24pm

In what way do you love it differently?

In the spring of 1981, the English witnessed something extraordinary that had never been seen before. It was a mix of Opera, experimental theater and traditional Musical theatre all rolled into one extravagant pageant. On this night, dancing pussie cats changed everyone's idea of what Musical theatre can be and should be.

It was a special moment that can only be shared in memory and our hearts now. We witnessed the impossible. 

When the show transferred to the states, it brought all the necessary requirements needed for a replica of the genius original, EXCEPT the surprise and absolute thrill of not knowing what you would be seeing. While going across the pond, the show lost a bit of it's magic that England locked in it's heart and had thrown away the key.

The Americans (through no fault of their own) were unable to witness the sheer joy of seeing something that can only be described as a dream now. 

They did not see the CATS that pushed the boundaries of musical theater. They saw an Imitation of what made the show so wonderful and bold. 

That experience we witnessed could never be put in a bottle, shipped to a different land and be called equal.

To put it bluntly, London saw CATS. America saw Cats.

Of course it's nothing to blamed for. I myself to this day still wish I was sitting in the Uris (now called Gershwin) theater on March 1st to witness the revelation that was Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou.

Now this is not to say I hold this opinion for every West End show that goes across the pond. Some shows that transferred to America are much better than the originals in London. Evita is one of them.  However, Cats (and for that matter: Les Miserable and Phantom of the Opera) are not one of them.

And why do you believe we would enjoy a dreadful production more than the UK?

Simple. You Americans have a rather odd obsession with revivals. You are more than willing to sit through the 3 or 4 revivals of the same show. In the West End, I can't say it's the same thing. We have our fun with new tours  however.

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 02:24 PM

neonlightsxo
#28School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:28pm

"You Americans" If we're so terrible why are you on a site called Broadwayworld.com posting on the Broadway message board?

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 02:28 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:30pm

Some here will see a show over and over again or will see a revival because someone they like is in it. The only way I would ever see Gypsy again is if Merman came back from the dead and did . Enough is enough with constantly reviving it.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 7/8/15 at 02:30 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:37pm

For Bonnie

....but the world goes 'round

BonnieBanks
#31School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:44pm

"You Americans" If we're so terrible why are you on a site called Broadwayworld.com posting on the Broadway message board?

I in no way meant "You Americans" as an insult. Pardon me if you took it that way.  That would be a rather silly insult, wouldn't it? A mannerism I guess. 

Don't get me wrong, I love American Theater. I was thrilled when I came across the pond to see Bridges of Madison County and a few others. I find that American theater is much more exciting these days than English theater (especially the musicals).  Which is why I make the trip over when I can (which isn't often).  

I don't find the American theater-goers terrible at all. Perhaps a bit rowdy at the theater for my taste...but not terrible.

However My Point still stands about CATS, like it or not.

ajh
#32School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:49pm

The constant "you Americans" jibe is starting to really offend me, and I'm not even American!!!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#33School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:56pm

im not exactly sure about Cats specifically, but Andrew has said about his shows that he was happier with the Broadway production than the West End production 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ajh
#34School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 2:59pm

"im not exactly sure about Cats specifically, but Andrew has said about his shows that he was happier with the Broadway production than the West End production "

I certainly thought the physical production of Phantom on Broadway to be more impressive and satisfying than the West End version.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:00pm

If true, I would have hated to see the London version.

Singing and dancing cats? I think not.

Poster Emeritus

rjm516
#36School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:17pm

Really terrible marquee! 

BonnieBanks
#37School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:19pm

im not exactly sure about Cats specifically, but Andrew has said about his shows that he was happier with the Broadway production than the West End production

Your sentence doesn't make sense. Do you have a link to back your statements up? Perhaps that will clarify your messy sentence.

Phillypinto
#38School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:25pm

My sentence does make sense

BonnieBanks
#39School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:31pm

No it actually does not. If you look carefully: You state that  you aren't sure about cats but that Andrew has said about his shows was happier with the Broadway production than the west end? What show or shows are you referring to? Cats? It doesn't appear so because earlier in the sentence you claim you "aren't sure" about Cats. Whatever that means. 

Whatever statement you tried to make, it is unclear whether it was tied to Cats or something else.

So no, your grammar and reading comprehension did in fact fail here.

But a link to Andrew's ACTUAL  statement will clear everything up..

Thanks.

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 03:31 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#40School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:46pm

Oh please, you know exactly what he meant.

I'm not condoning poor grammar, but this is a message board.

If you really didn't understand the point you're going to have a very difficult time here.

But since you seem to have gotten so defensive at the idea that ALW might have liked something American more than something British I think we all know you're grammar chastisements are a load of ****.

....but the world goes 'round

neonlightsxo
#41School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:52pm

Bonnie, what is your deal? You joined two days ago and have made almost exclusively negative comments. Isn't there a West End board somewhere for you to troll?

BonnieBanks
#42School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:53pm

I'm just looking for a link to Andrew's  statements. I'm very curious to read them. I'm perfectly capable of addressing the alleged fact that Andrew liked Cats on Broadway more than he did in London. I just want to know If Mr.Pinto is telling the truth or not. Has he been a reputable source in the past?

In any case, I can't say I'm being defensive in any way. I'm perfectly calm in my rocking chair and slippers right now. However it seems that I have offended you for one reason or another. Can't imagine why. 

neonlightsxo
#43School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:54pm

"I just want to know If Mr.Pinto is telling the truth or not. Has he been a reputable source in the past?"

I'm sure Philly is not telling the truth, he never is, but that's besides the point of: why are you trolling us?

BonnieBanks
#44School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 3:59pm

Trolling? I was asked a question about Cats and answered it. You are perfectly fine to disagree with it. To answer your question about  West End forums, no there aren't many that are dedicated to Theater as much as Broadway World. There is the West End board on here, but i find that to be a very slow forum and not as well attended as this one. 

ThankstoPhantom
#45School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 4:10pm

I am American, and agree with BonnieBanks. The legend and myth around the mounting of a production is caused by what some in the dramaturgical world call the "horizon of expectation" of an audience. One can also add in the artists.

Imagine, if you will, that theatre as it is known is a physical wall. The wall stays looking a certain way for some time. Hammerstein once carved new ideas into it. Down the road, so did Sondheim. Then, Trevor Nunn and Hal Prince, and the rest of their original casts and creative teams in London were each themselves carving into this wall some new, or relatively new ideas. The power of the intent, problem, solving, and thrill of new staging ideas in musical theatre (no matter what you may say of the writing) was thrilling; exciting to those who responded to it.

But the copy of something is almost never quite as jaw-dropping. The horizon of expectation is completely different in a replica production. We are, in such situations, excited about what already exists elsewhere. I experienced the reverse and chronological effect, personally, when seeing Phantom in NY first and then London. Even replacements of the initial production can, under artistically sound management, pass along the "gospel" of that discovery (ie the arguably superior West End production of Phantom). Bonnie argues that a community can also hold onto that "gospel." With Curious Incident, I saw the second West End cast. The atmosphere and thrill of the house was far more exhilarating than the very good Broadway production's during early previews. Same goes for War Horse, a completely different show in the US, in spite of the exact same staging.

Also, for anyone who follows theatre, Andrew Lloyd Webber has a habit of hyping up all that is new and shiny. Read any press release or interview surrounding Love Never Dies opening in London and then his comments about the "better" version in Australia. He likes things bigger and more sparkly, which isn't necessarily better. All that glistens is not gold.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 4:11pm

Pinto telling the truth will happen the same day Rex Re..., I mean, After Eight begins being positive about anything.

Phillypinto
#47School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 4:22pm

I'm lying right? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpu3wt5iXUU 2:45

and thats not the first time I've heard him say that. Ive seen/read many interviews of him talking about putting up the show on Broadway vs West End

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 04:22 PM

BonnieBanks
#48School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 4:44pm

Philly, Andrew was talking about Evita being better in the states (which i agree with). No mention of Cats or his other shows anywhere. What was your point again?

ThankstoPhantom: Thank you for your very articulate and elaborate analysis. I agree with ever word of it. I also love your name. School of Rock marquee goes up

Updated On: 7/8/15 at 04:44 PM

Phillypinto
#49School of Rock marquee goes up
Posted: 7/8/15 at 4:48pm

thats why i said "i don't know about cats, but"