pixeltracker

Jose Llana The king and I- Page 2

Jose Llana The king and I

BroadwayFan12
#25Jose Llana The king and I
Posted: 7/18/15 at 6:37pm

I saw him on Thursday and thought he was very good. I slightly preferred Watanabe, but Llana is a worthy replacement and makes the role his own.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#26Jose Llana The king and I
Posted: 7/18/15 at 6:52pm

"he could pass for a good 15 years younger than he actually is.  If he was playing Lun Ta again I don't think I would think twice about it.   So does make it a little odd when he talks about he didn't start having children to very late in life when he doesn't look very far along."

I kind of assumed this would be the case.  He's still boyishly handsome.  In fact, he still looks more physically appropriate for the young lover Lun Tha than the nebbish adorkable Conrad Ricamora does.  

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#27Jose Llana The king and I
Posted: 7/18/15 at 10:31pm

I had no problem with Lou Diamond Phillips when I saw him in the production with Donna Murphy, but listening to the CD of that show a few weeks ago I thought that he just sounded, well, young. Without enough gravitas to be a convincing father of about twenty children nor one who could so intimidate Anna.

I know Phillips doesn't care if I thought he was too young and apparently he has aged in the role by making a career out of playing the role around the country.

But I hope I don't feel the same way about Llana. From the photos I've seen he looks awfully young. But the test is seeing him perform.

Bartlett Sher told Watanabe that he didn't want the best singer or the best dancer, he wanted the best King.

Jay94
#28Jose Llana The king and I
Posted: 7/19/15 at 12:39am

Just saw it. Thought the show was phenomenal, one of the best things I've ever seen on Broadway. Kelli was radiant as always and the production itself was a thing of beauty. Jose was very good as the King and got a lot of big laughs from the audience throughout the show.