pixeltracker

Next for the Lyric Theatre- Page 4

Next for the Lyric Theatre

AntV
#75Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/3/15 at 8:09pm

On the Town is only selling tickets through December 6. So is that the latest they could possibly run before the Lyric kicks them out for this holiday show? Doesn't leave much time left for load in so I guess it'll run just 2-3 weeks.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#76Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/3/15 at 8:31pm

Selling tickets means nothing. They can give refunds if they are kicked out, and I suspect they will be unless the much-discussed holiday show falls through. They would not put in a holiday show with OTT closing 12/6 and if there is no holiday show I would expect another block of tickets for the holiday from the lunatics who call themselves the producers of the show.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#77Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/3/15 at 8:37pm

No, On The Town could be closed tomorrow if need be. When tickets are on sale does not matter.

ivandixon2
#78Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:16pm

Either a star driven production of "A Christmas Carol" or possibly the Frank Sinatra Hologram Show that's playing in England next March. Which would the tourists and locals prefer? What a choice! Cirque du Soleil will start in March regardless.

BroadMagTech
#79Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:30pm

I would love to see this rumored production of A Christmas Carol with special effects galore, but also think that A Sinatra show would attract the masses and be a real crowd pleaser.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#80Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:36pm

I hope its a Christmas Carol. ivandixon, can you tell us the 4 stars?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

BroadMagTech
#81Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/6/15 at 9:50pm

Although I am sure that the source that claims a Christmas Carol is coming has some reliability. Has any other source reported this rumor just so we can add some weight to this possibility. Either way, A Christmas Carol would be a brilliant idea.

Phillypinto
#82Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/6/15 at 10:28pm

Other people have said that they heard about a holiday show as well

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#83Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 10:21am

The theater is so big that either Cirque or using it as a concert venue may be its only use. If not for Wicked, the Gershwin might be suffering the same fate.

Poster Emeritus

BroadMagTech
#84Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 4:50pm

I assume that ATG already has the show lined up for the holiday season crowd. Any ideas of when we can expect an announcement to be made?

ivandixon2
#85Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 6:57pm

Either the Frank Sinatra hologram show or a star-driven Christmas Carol. It now appears that Xmas Carol is a backup if the deal can't be made with the Sinatra show. Expect an announcement within a week. Too bad. The Sinatra show using projections belongs in a smaller theatre and Xmas Carol would have filled the Lyric with the names involved.

Phillypinto
#86Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 7:19pm

What were the names involved 

BroadMagTech
#87Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 7:23pm

Is the size difference between the Lyric and the London Palladium that much? Although I would love to have seen A Christmas Carol, apparently the ATG sees Sinatra as the best overall crowd pleaser. But would Sinatra or A Christmas Carol sell out?

ivandixon2
#88Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 7:37pm

I think a show with projected images of Sinatra will die. The Xmas Carol would have sold out with the names involved. Three were to receive a percentage of the gross with a $2.2M weekly GP and all won Oscars for Best Actor/Actress. The fourth name is an iconic former sitcom star. Can't name them...gave my word. Plus, the Sinatra show might not happen. It is a rental....the Xmas Carol would be a joint venture.

Updated On: 8/7/15 at 07:37 PM

Sutherland
#89Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:10pm

Philly, Why don't you come clean and tell us what your problem is with On The Town?  You post nothing but extremely negative comments about it.  It is a brilliant revival, full of talent, the best score on Broadway, a great orchestra, and it's been playing in a house at least 500 seats too large for it.  Despite that, many thousands of people have seen it and loved it.  It's not as if this was a dreadful show or production.  If the producers didn't mind financing a great production, what's your issue?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#90Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:28pm

Totally agree. Enjoyed it more than the vastly overrated AAIP.

Poster Emeritus

Sutherland
#91Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:37pm

I agree, Roscoe.  I saw it in London in its first month, and it was a disaster, especially the long and dreary first act.  I hear that some changes have been made, but I can't imagine that is has a great show now.

BroadMagTech
#92Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:00pm

Which do you think is more likely to be staged and why?

BroadMagTech
#93Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:08pm

Also if we had to guess and/or dream cast A Christmas Carol based on the the knowledge that it will star Acadamy Award winning best actors, who would we guess?

Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Anthony Hopkins,...

ivandixon2
#94Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:26pm

Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep and John Goodman would be fun. Wonder if they would sell any tickets?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#95Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 9:29pm

Even though I didn't get to see it...and experienced it vicariously through those of you lucky enough to have done so, I love the new cast album. Also, I used to feel bad for everyone getting down on Philly, but now I think he deserves it...especially after the more posts of his I read.

However, some of you guys (and gals) are so fearless in your postings... I'm often in awe of your passion and knowledge. I work in the home entertainment industry and if I could really talk, I'd love to ask all of you about bringing Broadway to the home... Presently, I'm fighting to get two huge productions captured for posterity. It is so hard as nobody has done this since maybe 2012; a lifetime ago to retail buyers.

Please don't flame he for not revealing more details. I can't right now. NDAs and all. I can't wait to share, when I'm able.

Wow, I may gave derailed this string and started another. Apologies. Hope we can talk more!

BroadMagTech
#96Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:06pm

Just one question that should not break any rules. Whatever project you are working on, will it be something to be excited about?

BroadMagTech
#97Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:09pm

"I think a show with projected images of Sinatra will die. The Xmas Carol would have sold out with the names involved. Three were to receive a percentage of the gross with a $2.2M weekly GP and all won Oscars for Best Actor/Actress. The fourth name is an iconic former sitcom star. Can't name them...gave my word. Plus, the Sinatra show might not happen. It is a rental....the Xmas Carol would be a joint venture."

If the plans for A Christmas Carol go under could you tell us the stars? Or would there still be a possibility it could come some other time?

BroadMagTech
#98Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:11pm

I doubt he would do it since Gilda Radner died but what if Gene Wilder made a return to acting in a Christmas Carol? One could only dream. Christopher Lloyd?

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#99Next for the Lyric Theatre
Posted: 8/8/15 at 8:28pm

"Just one question that should not break any rules. Whatever project you are working on, will it be something to be excited about?"

Yeah, one will be great, the other...a definitive record for posterity. Of course, both projects could fall through for lack of funding. Sigh.