Allegiance Previews

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#125Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 10:19am

I was in the mid-orchestra last night and it looked packed. I had no view of the mezz, though. There seemed to be a decent number of multigenerational Filipino families out to see Lea Salonga, which was how it was when I saw her in Les Miz, too.

After sleeping on it, I wonder how much of the weaker parts of show have been given a pass along the way by various creatives simply because George Takei is so old and beloved and people really, genuinely want to help him tell his story. As in, not enough people wanted to tell him no.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#126Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 10:30am

LizzieCurry said: "After sleeping on it, I wonder how much of the weaker parts of show have been given a pass along the way by various creatives simply because George Takei is so old and beloved and people really, genuinely want to help him tell his story. As in, not enough people wanted to tell him no."

But it's a fictional story set inside of a Japanese-American internment camp. No reason why Takei would care about the story being told that is illuminating the knowledge of this past, I wouldn't think, which is what he wants to draw attention to. He was there from 7 to 14, so nothing Telly is doing links to George's life at all, AFAIK.

LizzieCurry
#127Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 10:33am

Well, ok, I guess I didn't mean "his" story, but rather a story.

Pootie2
#128Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 10:37am

haterobics said: "LizzieCurry said: "After sleeping on it, I wonder how much of the weaker parts of show have been given a pass along the way by various creatives simply because George Takei is so old and beloved and people really, genuinely want to help him tell his story. As in, not enough people wanted to tell him no."

But it's a fictional story set inside of a Japanese-American internment camp. No reason why Takei would care about the story being told that is illuminating the knowledge of this past, I wouldn't think, which is what he wants to draw attention to. He was there from 7 to 14, so nothing Telly is doing links to George's life at all, AFAIK.

"

I rather doubt Takei insisted on much input for the fictional story bits as well. From his interviews, I think he's more invested in the factual matters and certain dramatic points like the loyalty-splitting questionnaire and $25 "go home" payment.

As for being unable to say "no" to telling "a" story about the internment, that theory doesn't work because it was two of the creatives who sold the musical idea to Takei after their chance meeting.

#BoycottTrumplikePattiMurin

Pootie2
#129Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 10:39am

LizzieCurry said: "I was in the mid-orchestra last night and it looked packed. I had no view of the mezz, though. There seemed to be a decent number of multigenerational Filipino families out to see Lea Salonga, which was how it was when I saw her in Les Miz, too."

Okay, I didn't think there were that many Filipinos who could show up for Salonga, but that's a good surprise. Thanks for the report.

MNC77
#130Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:16pm

Lucked into seeing the show again last night because a friend scored tickets. After reading the posts on this board I picked up on some of the things Whizzer mentioned, especially the cliche lyrics, lack of subtlety in directing and generic characters. However, they appear to be working to address these problems. Quite a few lyrical and staging aspects have already been changed since the first preview. Lyrically they established the mother's history and Telly's motivation better, though Lea's is still rather unclear. This definitely seems like something I'll want to come back to after opening, as it seems the show is still very much in flux.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#131Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:40pm

Have they added height to the stage for this at all? I remember seeing YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, and it was just about perfect from Row AA. Did they remove that row for the pit?

#132Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:43pm

Salonga's tweet regarding this board: "@MsLeaSalonga: I haven't read this board and have no intention to do so. But again, the trolls can go suck it. And suck it hard."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#133Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:48pm

I agree, there is no reason for the cast of any show to come here. The creatives should, though...

Pootie2
#134Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:49pm

frenchalien said: "Salonga's tweet regarding this board: "@MsLeaSalonga: I haven't read this board and have no intention to do so. But again, the trolls can go suck it. And suck it hard." "

frenchalien appears to be a troll account intent on slandering Salonga, because I'm quite certain she's never tweeted anything like that, which would make her look like an adolescent throwing a tantrum (I assume that's frenchalien's personal projection instead). Smart creatives will seek feedback, and while there are other trolls on this thread, I think most of the comments have been constructively critical. Welcome to the ignore list.

LizzieCurry
#135Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:51pm

Who the hell is NBS2010 and why would they even bother tweeting that link to her? Industry people know about the board. Directing them to is is just unnecessarily poking.

Pootie2
#136Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:53pm

LizzieCurry said: "Who the hell is NBS2010 and why would they even bother tweeting that link to her? Industry people know about the board. Directing them to is is just unnecessarily poking."

Oh, this is actually on Twitter? I must have missed that conversation. Agreed with Haterobics.

LizzieCurry
#137Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:54pm

https://twitter.com/NBS2010/status/652353239875059712

#138Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:55pm

"because I'm quite certain she's never tweeted anything like that," 

Please feel free to read Salonga's tweets.  There's more. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#139Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:57pm

I never do understand her argument, though: "To prematurely review the show is unfair to the creative team and the actors. It's like critiquing a cake before it's finished." 

Bakeries don't sell cake before it's finished, though. Let alone premium cakes...

And no one in here is pretending this is a final product. Since my $$$ is tight right now, I'm specifically waiting until the "cake" is a bit more "baked."

Updated On: 10/9/15 at 12:57 PM

LizzieCurry
#140Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 12:59pm

Agreed. On a related note, she gets weird replies ALL THE TIME on social media (glance at her instagram once in a while), which must make a lot of the online world a different experience for her than for us.

Pootie2
#141Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:00pm

Thanks for the link, LizzieCurry. I think "@" conversation tweets never show up on a Twitter timeline because (some technical thing blah blah I don't always get). Apologies to frenchalien since she did say that. In context, though, I believe her reply is to the comment about the troll(s) in the thread, and we know there are some, rather than the whole board being trolls. I don't think she understands that this isn't a review thread, but oh well. This (preview creative changes) isn't her problem.

By the way, I have no idea who NBS2010 is, but that person is being followed by Kristin Anderson-Lopez.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#142Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:02pm

Pootie2 said: "Thanks for the link, LizzieCurry. I think "@" conversation tweets never show up on a Twitter timeline because (some technical thing blah blah I don't always get)."

Just click "Tweets with replies"

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#143Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:04pm

I really don't understand people when they complain about critiquing previews. Producers are charging full price, and these days very few changes are actually made during the preview period. I should be allowed to give my opinion, whether positive or negative.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pootie2
#144Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:09pm

haterobics said: "Pootie2 said: "Thanks for the link, LizzieCurry. I think "@" conversation tweets never show up on a Twitter timeline because (some technical thing blah blah I don't always get)."

Just click "Tweets with replies"

"

Thanks, but that's while on a specific account's timeline, I believe? I have a Twitter account and followed Salonga's account along with other industry people, but the first tweet was directly posted to her and then she replied directly, which wouldn't appear on my timeline. I think that's how it works. I haven't actually dug into the performers' "with replies" on their individual accounts, which would take too much time... smiley

little_sally said: "I really don't understand people when they complain about critiquing previews. Producers are charging full price, and these days very few changes are actually made during the preview period. I should be allowed to give my opinion, whether positive or negative."

Salonga uses the word "review" so maybe she's thinking of premature actual reviews that are published to newspapers/blogs. That's a different controversy that's appeared on this forum. But yes, audience reactions and feedback are absolutely key in try-outs and previews, otherwise why bother having them at all...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#145Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:10pm

I can't even sort out who the supposed troll in the thread is? heh. It's been pretty above board in here for BWW...

LizzieCurry
#146Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:12pm

Pootie2, yes, that's how it works. Unless you'd been following both parties, you wouldn't have seen the back-and-forth.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#147Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:15pm

I'm always amazed how many replies I get like that (usually from Lin or someone, not randoms) are favorited by a ton of people, so people really do dig into those area, heh.

Pootie2
#148Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:15pm

haterobics said: "I can't even sort out who the supposed troll in the thread is? heh. It's been pretty above board in here for BWW..."

The one who expected/hoped the show would close within months, I suppose.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#149Allegiance Previews
Posted: 10/9/15 at 1:24pm

Regarding one of Salonga's tweets, has there been a questionnaire to fill out after the show? Would a regular audience member be given the opportunity to do that? I've been to many previews, and no one at any of them has ever asked for my opinion. (I haven't seen Allegiance yet.)