The Bandstand - Papermill

brandalonian
#1The Bandstand - Papermill
Posted: 10/19/15 at 10:00am

Any attendees of opening night last night?!

Peronista
#2The Bandstand - Papermill
Posted: 10/20/15 at 9:57am

Yeah, I was there.  Pretty exciting. People seemed to enjoy themselves. Laura's last number stopped the show so that was cool to see.

ramsay15 Profile Photo
ramsay15
#3The Bandstand - Papermill
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:03pm

After hearing Roma Torre's very positive review on NY1 on Saturday, I went to see the Sunday evening performance.  I very much enjoyed the show and see great potential for it.  As Roma correctly (in my opinion) stated, all of the building blocks are there, they just need some rearranging.  I don't agree with criticism about the music at all.  To my ears, the songs are distinctive and tuneful.  There are some great melodies and the lyrics truly move the book along.  I found one of Laura's ballads, Love Will Come and Find Me Again, to be especially beautiful and haunting.  I was impressed with Andy Blankenbeuhler;s choreography, although there may a bit too much of it.

Nearly every performer is first rate.  My view is that Corey Cott is establishing himself as a musical star.  And Laura is wonderful - not just your saccharine princess.  Yet, I agree with some of the criticism, as some of the dialogue did not seem in keeping with the characters.  At the end of the day, considering that it is the initial public production of an entirely original work, I say that there is a lot to admire and I prefer to focus on the many positives.  When so many people create works based on movies, plays, existing song catalogues - the creatives (and Paper Mill) should be applauded - they did not have a template to work from.  I hope that the creatives will keep working on the show so that it will be ready for prime time. 

#4The Bandstand - Papermill
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:33pm

Updated On: 10/27/15 at 03:33 PM

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#5The Bandstand - Papermill
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:42pm

Da hell you come from??

Videos